Anyone hear from Baylor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihatepaperwork

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey-I just found this site...man, it would have been awesome to be able to be in contact with other pre-med students over the last several months. Applying is tedious! And waiting for acceptances and rejections is tedious!

With that said, I'm still waiting on Baylor (my first choice). Has anyone (who has interviewed) heard about rejections? Heh, do they even do rejections? I already know that they're releasing acceptances - anyone know about how many people are left for them to accept?

Honestly...I just want to know whether I'm accepted/rejected, because waiting is the worst thing (at least I can start planning for med school at my second choice..). Everyone tells me I should relax and not worry because I have excellent numbers and my application was great. But...I really feel like I bombed one interview (and aced the other)...so I'm at a loss about what I should think about my chances...

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I'm tempted to call to ask if I'm on a waitlist. Does anyone know if they'll tell you that, and tell you just about where you stand? I'd be really happy if I could get more complete information!

they pretty much waitlist everyone and take people off the top continuously to keep the class full.

I've been waiting since my interview in early September...

Members don't see this ad :)
Heh, thats when I interviewed. Which is probably why I'm getting antsy

Does anyone know if Baylor accepts via snail mail? Or does the dean actually call every person who gets in?

any rumors on how many spots are left or when Baylor's sending out their final decisions now that the interview season is complete?

Actually, I heard 30%, from my premed advisor who had directly spoken with Baylor. So...its not a rumor for me, although for all y'all getting information from me...its still an SDN rumor ;)

Um...I was hoping there was an updated number though, but I guess 30% is the latest from Baylor..

Actually, I heard 30%, from my premed advisor who had directly spoken with Baylor. So...its not a rumor for me, although for all y'all getting information from me...its still an SDN rumor ;)

Um...I was hoping there was an updated number though, but I guess 30% is the latest from Baylor..

They have given out acceptances since, but at my Feb. 2 interview Dr. Michael said that they had give out around 50% of the offers.

Well, we can add the mdapplicants rumors to the SDN rumors (might as well obsess methodically as unmethodically, right?... I haven't looked at these in a while.)

mdapplicants data (to date)
Year App Int WL Acc
2006 199 69 13 27
2007 239 66 00 14

"Wall of Fame" self-reporting
Year Oct Nov Dec Jan Total
2006 3 6 6 3 18
2007 2 2 4 4 12

Even taken with a large grain of salt, this looks hopeful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey NCF i interviewed on Feb. 2 too, did I meet you? I was... uhhh from Arizona and... ... had a winning smile?

I was the one that asked how many acceptances they had given out so far.

Well, we can add the mdapplicants rumors to the SDN rumors (might as well obsess methodically as unmethodically, right?... I haven't looked at these in a while.)

mdapplicants data (to date)
Year App Int WL Acc
2006 199 69 13 27
2007 239 66 00 14

"Wall of Fame" self-reporting
Year Oct Nov Dec Jan Total
2006 3 6 6 3 18
2007 2 2 4 4 12

Even taken with a large grain of salt, this looks hopeful.

you just made my day pemberley :)

I just called the Admissions Office and they said that the committee could meet to make final decisions on interviewees as late as the end of this month to early April. Here's to more waiting!

seriously, that kinda crap makes me not want to go to baylor

I just called the Admissions Office and they said that the committee could meet to make final decisions on interviewees as late as the end of this month to early April. Here's to more waiting!

you ruined my day.. :(

Well, I just put together a breakdown of acceptances in the 2011 class thread (self-reported, but not in the official acceptance thread):

Nov: 1
Dec: 1
Jan: 5
Feb: 0
Mar: 2

While not always consistent, the calls seem to come approx. 2 weeks apart (which would jive with the adcomm meeting after each interview group). If the last acceptances posted were from 3/1, and the adcomm meets every other week, then maybe another batch will be sent out next week?

also, I just saw this posted in the "SO Excited about baylor" thread, which seems to corroborate a March 15th send-out:

yeah, but as was mentioned at the interview, following each cycle (approx. 2 weeks after) the new interviewees are placed in the ranked pool. at this point, the adcom decides how many will be accepted and those individuals are called. it is plausible that if you interviewed earlier than the last interview date, you will be waiting until march 15, when the new batch of offers are extended."

I don't understand why they are taking so long. If this is how Baylor is going to conduct its admissions process with the new TMDSAS system now in place, then they need to change to a non-rolling process like Harvard, UPenn etc.

Wow, they're betting strongly that the fantasticness of Baylor will overcome the off-putting uncommunicativeness of the admissions process.

They're probably right! but I still wish they wouldn't. This sort of thing makes me appreciate just how straightforward the UTSW people have been.

Me too! I really kind of hate Baylor right now and I don't care too much about getting in to be quite honest.

Me too! I really kind of hate Baylor right now and I don't care too much about getting in to be quite honest.
Totally sums up how I feel. They went from being my first choice -- a school that I considered selling my soul to get into to a school that I have much disrespect for for stringing me along for 6 MONTHS NOW (it has actually been over 6 months since I interviewed.) I have better things to do than worry about whether Baylor "wants" me right now (like plan my move to Dallas to attend UTSW -- a school that is upfront and honest with its potential students and doesn't string them along.)

you said it best, jota_jota. Baylor was originally my top choice med school, too, and I interviewed there the first week of October! Even as a Texas resident, not a peep from them. UTSW is the way to go.

So anon. and jota, are y'all suggesting that even with a Baylor acceptance you woul still stick with Southwestern?

As for myself, I've also been accepted t Southwestern. I know a few people from my classes that are headed there, and I know I like them. I'm torn between what is basically a "sure thing" (I already like the people at southwestern), and a program that really appeals to me (baylor).

So anon. and jota, are y'all suggesting that even with a Baylor acceptance you woul still stick with Southwestern?

As for myself, I've also been accepted t Southwestern. I know a few people from my classes that are headed there, and I know I like them. I'm torn between what is basically a "sure thing" (I already like the people at southwestern), and a program that really appeals to me (baylor).

I am in the same boat as all of yall. The way I see it, it's great to have this UTSW acceptance in hand. When I interviewed at the two places, I really wasn't as impressed with Baylor as I thought I would be. I also really enjoyed UTSW. Coming into the process, I thought someone would be mentally handicapped or something if they were to choose UTSW over Baylor. Nowadays, I'm thinking I might do the same if I were to eventually get in to Baylor. I think it is rather disrespectful for Baylor to do absolutely nothing for people who interviewed over half a year ago. They could send a brief email with a timeline, give us a website to look at, update some sort of status page... I mean they have smart people working there... can't they figure this out??? The way I see it... now that Baylor is a top 10 school, they think they are really hot ****. If I were to guess, by the time we get out of med school, Baylor and UTSW might be right next to eachother in the rankings (if UTSW hasn't overtaken them). Plus, UTSW has much better name recognition and you get long white coats even as med students.

That being said, I do like that you finish basic science in 1.5 yrs at Baylor and you are working in the TMC. Whatever, UTSW is still baller. I lliked their lunch the best too!

I interviewed both places (UTSW & BCM) and was accepted at Baylor. Because Baylor was my first choice, I withdrew my app from all other schools promptly after receiving my first choice acceptance to give other students the earliest opportunity to get their acceptance (just in case I would have been accepted anywhere else). Had things been different, and I was waiting for Baylor with an acceptance with UTSW in hand, I would have gone ahead with UTSW at this point. I like some others here, I have a family, and it takes more time to make the move. UTSW is a great school, and I could have seen myself being happy there as well. I am happy to go to Baylor, and I do think it is the best school for me. I'm unsure why they are taking longer to fill their class roster. Who knows, maybe there is a valid reason for it, but a better system for keeping students informed about the progress of the acceptances would be nice.

It seems there's a lot of Baylor hate...

I don't think Baylor is alone in having tardy decisions. I've been "on hold" at penn for 6 months. I interviewed at Michigan on the first day, was put on hold in october for a december decision, then had my decision delayed 'til March. I haven't heard a peep from UC Irvine, even though I'm in state. I've heard nothing from Harvard or Stanford, though I'm expecting my rejections pretty soon.

So yeah... it sucks that medical schools take so long with decisions. However, it's not just BCM.

I am in the same boat as all of yall. The way I see it, it's great to have this UTSW acceptance in hand. When I interviewed at the two places, I really wasn't as impressed with Baylor as I thought I would be. I also really enjoyed UTSW. Coming into the process, I thought someone would be mentally handicapped or something if they were to choose UTSW over Baylor. Nowadays, I'm thinking I might do the same if I were to eventually get in to Baylor. I think it is rather disrespectful for Baylor to do absolutely nothing for people who interviewed over half a year ago. They could send a brief email with a timeline, give us a website to look at, update some sort of status page... I mean they have smart people working there... can't they figure this out??? The way I see it... now that Baylor is a top 10 school, they think they are really hot ****. If I were to guess, by the time we get out of med school, Baylor and UTSW might be right next to eachother in the rankings (if UTSW hasn't overtaken them). Plus, UTSW has much better name recognition and you get long white coats even as med students.

That being said, I do like that you finish basic science in 1.5 yrs at Baylor and you are working in the TMC. Whatever, UTSW is still baller. I lliked their lunch the best too!

The two points that you like about Baylor are the two things that keep me interested in them (1.5 years and in TMC). But...I just liked the people more at UTSW then at Baylor. They didn't seem..fake. And you're right-they did have a better lunch, too!

However, what makes you think that UTSW can rank next to Baylor within 4 years?

It seems there's a lot of Baylor hate...

I don't think Baylor is alone in having tardy decisions. I've been "on hold" at penn for 6 months. I interviewed at Michigan on the first day, was put on hold in october for a december decision, then had my decision delayed 'til March. I haven't heard a peep from UC Irvine, even though I'm in state. I've heard nothing from Harvard or Stanford, though I'm expecting my rejections pretty soon.

So yeah... it sucks that medical schools take so long with decisions. However, it's not just BCM.

Um... maybe you missed the part where I was talking about Baylor not telling people anything. At least with Penn, you knew they would give you something in December (they have a status page that works unlike Baylor) and now you know when their next decision should be. The same is true for Stanford and Harvard. Everyone has answers as to when admissions will be given. As for Baylor, if they wanted to give most of their admissions in April or whenever the ****ing date is now (which no one really knows) then they should have just told us that at interviews instead of telling us they would be lettin lots of people in on a rolling basis. That is ****ing bull****!

The two points that you like about Baylor are the two things that keep me interested in them (1.5 years and in TMC). But...I just liked the people more at UTSW then at Baylor. They didn't seem..fake. And you're right-they did have a better lunch, too!

However, what makes you think that UTSW can rank next to Baylor within 4 years?

Well, I think that for a few reasons. First, they are building all these new state of the art research buildings. I mean, it's not as if their research buildings aren't already badass, but they are getting even better now by adding on. UTSW already has way better name recognition around the world that BCM does. On some list I once saw (I can't remember where) UTSW is like top 20 in name recognition for scientific institutions around the world. Also, this new college system UTSW will be doing should be very interesting. If anything, it shows that the administration is trying to improve the school by helping out its students, not by playing mind games during the admissions process. Also, UTSW gives the med students long white coats. White coats, as told to me by a UTSW students, are a symbol of respect. The shorter the white coat at an institution, apparently the less respect doctors give you. On top of that, UTSW, IMO, just seems like a giant science/medicine machine in dallas. I mean the campus is huge and freakin badass. And you don't have to worry about other med students or anything like that. Everything you see in Dallas will be your territory as a UTSW student. Those are just my 2 cizents.

I wouldn't let bitterness over how you got accepted to a school determine your decision whether to matriculate, since your next 4 years will have nothing to do with the admissions process. It's a crappy process, and BCM isn't the only school that works this way. And I'm saying this as a student and cheerleader (albeit a manly one) of UTSW.

I wouldn't let bitterness over how you got accepted to a school determine your decision whether to matriculate, since your next 4 years will have nothing to do with the admissions process. It's a crappy process, and BCM isn't the only school that works this way. And I'm saying this as a student and cheerleader (albeit a manly one) of UTSW.

True, but there's planning to consider as well as bitterness. Older applicants can't just pack up the dorm room into the back of their Golf and zoom on over. House-hunting and spouse-job-hunting have time requirements, and Baylor is starting to push the limit -- without giving us any idea just how far they mean to push.

1.5 years preclinical would be great. The research track would be perfect. Having a spouse-job and a house lined up will beat those every time.

I'm not bitter at all. I am simply not impressed with the way Baylor conducts themselves. And if I am not impressed, maybe others won't be impressed (others being USNWR). I'm just saying...

If I do get into Baylor, it would still be a really tough choice cuz they are great. And that 1.5 yrs basic science is baller.

oh wait... I think I did interview at a school named baylor... back in september.. I almost forgot..:D

are they really gonna drag it until april or is it gonna be march 15th like they've said?

just called the admissions office....apparently they are pushing the notification dates back :mad: . "you could hear something in four weeks, or in six weeks." this is really starting to become infuriating...almost enough to push me to pull my application.

just called the admissions office....apparently they are pushing the notification dates back :mad: . "you could hear something in four weeks, or in six weeks." this is really starting to become infuriating...almost enough to push me to pull my application.

are you kidding? 4-6 weeks from now??? or anytime between maybe? sigh..

previously they had said mid-march. i don't know what the holdup is. maybe they are waiting to see how many students they lose to harvard, washu, hopkins, etc.

"By March 30 of the matriculation year, each school have issued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and have reported those acceptance actions to the AAMC Section for Medical School Application Services."

So much for AAMC suggestions...

After interviewing on the very first day last September, I can't really expect to get in this late. It would be nice just to have a definite answer for sure, though. They could at least notify people of something, rathere than leaving them without any information during the process.

Wow, so the drama may go on for another 4-6 weeks. Man o man.

Is there a smily that flips people off? F-you Baylor.
fing09.gif

well...OncoCaP is a really nice person, is always really helpful to everyone on the forums, AND already has a Baylor acceptance...

...i nominate him to "rough up" the AdCom a little for us and get them to start handing out those decisions ASAP!!! what do you say? ;) ;)

Yeah, that just might create an additional vacancy (my spot) ... MS0 takes on Adcom ... not a fair fight, exactly .. Adcom: "Onco, our background check revealed that you didn't return a library book in the 7th grade; I'm afraid that's going to be a 'showstopper' ..." ... :laugh:. :D

Seriously, though. If I was still in limbo with a complicated move due to family, job, etc., I would have gone with an existing acceptance by now. I'm not one who likes to make things more stressful than necessary. BCM is a great school, but there are other excellent schools out there as well. Of course, if you're single and you can move in about a week or two, I guess there is still plenty of time.

If BCM asks me for any suggestions at some point, having an admissions process that follows a predictable schedule and informative updates via the web would be high up on the list (the only items on my list at this point).

What I'm wondering about is ... what is causing the delay? Are the Adcom members just behind on reviewing the applications due to other commitments? Are they changing the way they rank applicants from years past? Are they debating different candidates and haven't been able to reach consensus yet? It would be cool to be a fly on the wall of those meetings....

Hmm...so with this delay would it be good to send in a letter of intent/interest or something? If I'm still in limbo, might as well try to tip the scales in my favor?

Has anyone tried that yet?

Here is my LOI:

Dear Baylor COM,

I forgot that you existed. Luckily, I have an older sibling who goes to your school so when I call to talk to this sibling, they ask me how BCOM is going and I tell them um... oh yeah, I forgot Baylor existed and I interviewed there ages ago. To tell you the truth, I really would need a second look at this point cuz my memory doesn't go back 5 years when my interview feels like it was. But, I forgot that you don't give interviews to in state residents. Make up your mind already. Is it that hard??? NO. Hurry up.

Sincerely,
FCD

Here is my LOI:

Dear Baylor COM,

I forgot that you existed. Luckily, I have an older sibling who goes to your school so when I call to talk to this sibling, they ask me how BCOM is going and I tell them um... oh yeah, I forgot Baylor existed and I interviewed there ages ago. To tell you the truth, I really would need a second look at this point cuz my memory doesn't go back 5 years when my interview feels like it was. But, I forgot that you don't give interviews to in state residents. Make up your mind already. Is it that hard??? NO. Hurry up.

Sincerely,
FCD

Hahaha, please send that in so we can clear up a potential spot ;)

Seriously though-I contacted my premed advisor (at A&M) and she told me that letters of intent do not working, calling it a "student-doctor.net rumor."
What are y'alls thoughts?

I have another...area of concern, y'all...mostly for those of you who are headed to a Texas school. Apparently, Baylor offers no more invitations to students holding a Texas medical school after June 15. So, if they end up waiting until...like, May, we may end up screwed - they'd accept some students, then have to wait a while (for a response), the accept more, and so on.

Does anyone know if, at some point, Baylor will just start skipping over us? Or, will they ensure that there spots are filled before June 15?