Anyone heard of Golden Key Honor society

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taken2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, They sent me an invitational letter and I'm wondering whether to join just to have more stuff to put in my application.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in it... It's similar to the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. Unfortunately I haven't had time to take advantage of the volunteering opportunities from the two societies. :(

taken2 said:
Just wondering, They sent me an invitational letter and I'm wondering whether to join just to have more stuff to put in my application.

Yeah, they're like NSCS. You should join if you're interested in community service activities, leadership experience, etc. Although it's a good thing to put on your resume and application, you should join because it's worth something to you. I was an officer of NSCS and this thing sort of bugged me (when ppl join just for the name) but hey, it's only worth what you put into it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
taken2 said:

I joined that during my junoir year!! Paid like 65$ for membershipe fees and they give you a neat certificate!

yeh i agree with blizz.. i'm sec/treasurer of nscs at berkeley, and it's really how much you put into it that matters. the adcom is going to be able to tell if you just joined for another resume line or whether you contributed and participated in the club

taken2 said:

Thanks guys for your replies. I'll love to join it for the extracurriculum activities but I don't know how strong they are in my school. I have sent them a couple of e-mail, still waiting on their respond.

taken2 said:
Thanks guys for your replies. I'll love to join it for the extracurriculum activities but I don't know how strong they are in my school. I have sent them a couple of e-mail, still waiting on their respond.

Golden Key is a lot less active at my school (Univ of Colorado -- Boulder) than NSCS. I'm a member of both (was treasurer of the latter for awhile), and I always get e-mails from NSCS about events, volunteer opps, etc, whereas with Golden Key, I honestly don't even know if there are meetings.

I don't think I would've joined GK if I'd have known I would get invited to Phi Beta Kappa. If that's a possibility, definitely go with that.

taken2 said:

You are going to join just to put something on your resume? I think admissions are looking for involvement, not just signing up for something and never going through with anything.

I'm in it as well. I didn't even know that I was in it until this year. Apparently, I received an invitation at my parents's house, and my mom paid the fees and didn't even tell me! I found out when I was at home and happened to get a letter from them.

You'll be throwing away about $50.00. Membership is meaningless. Spend your time volunteering (community service, etc.) instead. Have some real meat in your application as opposed to nonsense that the admissions committee members will be perfectly wise to.

Good luck.