Anyone here on Rotation or Residency from a Caribe School ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kornphan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone on here that is in Rotation or Residency from a Caribe School, I have some questions :

1) Do you think that you got the same clinical training that a student from US schools got ?

2) Can you select the Hospitals that you can do your rotations at ?

3) If you are in Residency, did you get your 1st/2nd/3rd choice ?. Was there any discrimination during the 'match' process because you were from the Caribe ?.

Thanks so much.

korndawg.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Yes and no. I did my third year in England, which is a very different system. I'm doing my 4th year in the US with US students.

2) Yes and no. I've been able to arrange rotations in some hospitals, but not others.

3) YES! While I haven't completed the match, I've gotten my first "rejection" by a hospital that decided that it won't look at non-LCME trained students without at least one year of post grad education. Would have been nice if they had put that in there web site. I hope they have a horrible match season. (Not very charitable of me, but I've done a hell of a lot more work than any US student just to get where I'm at. If programs are not going to look at foriegn trained students, they should be upfront about it.)

hi.. i was just wondering what LCME means..thanks