Anyone here use ExamKrackers for MCAT studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GypsyHummus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im looking at taking the class with ExamKrackers, and just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts on the course. I used Kaplan last year and didn't find it helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I had used Anki when I studied for the MCAT. I use it in med school now and destroy tests. I think Berkely Review + loads of Anki would be enough to get a 30 absolute minimum.

Reactions: 1 user
TBR for science, Kaplan only for their biochem material, TPR psych/soc, along with FLs from AAMC and EK and you're gonna be solid.

Members don't see this ad :)
TBR for science, Kaplan only for their biochem material, TPR psych/soc, along with FLs from AAMC and EK and you're gonna be solid.
I self studied with the EK books and pulled a decent score. I don't think the resource you use for content review matters much though. It's the practice questions that are key and I think EK had good practice questions.

I self studied with the EK books and pulled a decent score. I don't think the resource you use for content review matters much though. It's the practice questions that are key and I think EK had good practice questions.

I agree. I also self-studied using just the EK books, roughly following the schedule provided on their website. I found it very, very helpful to have a prescribed amount I needed to get through on a given day and then I was done-- none of that "I should keep going as far as I possibly can tonight" mentality that drains you out, especially for something as colossal as the MCAT. I found the EK books to be concise and focused while also certainly being thorough enough for the scope of the MCAT.

Caveat though re self-study vs class is that I know I learn best through independent reading, be it books or slides, not through lecture or discussion as my primary means of intake. Do whatever style works best for you!

I used EK, along with a variety of other sources. Sometimes EK didn't delve into topics as deep as I needed, so I supplemented with TBR, textbooks, etc. I personally think Kaplan and TPR are a lacking in comparison to the other two. However, the KEY to rocking your MCAT is practice exams. So if you have kaplan or TPR practice exams, take those as well.

For content review:
Biology: EK
Physics: TBR
Organic Chemistry: TBR
General Chemistry: TBR

TBR is too dense for the biology section of the MCAT. Use EK, and if you need clarification, brush up with TBR on those specific topics.

For practice questions:

Biology: TPR Science Workbook
Physics: TBR + TPR SWB
Organic Chemistry: TBR + TPR SWB
General Chemistry: TBR +TPR SWB

If you did ALL of the problems from the TBR and TPR SWB, there is NO reason you should score less than 12-13 on the science sections of the MCAT.

Full lengths:

First use the TBR practice exams, then do the AAMC tests.

TBR= The Berkeley Review
TPR SWB = The Princeton Review Science Workbook
EK= ExamKrackers

EK for most of content review. Hit anything you need more in-depth work on (as in it's not just a refresher, brand new material) with Kaplan or TPR. Take 8-10 full length practice exams (NextStep, Kaplan, EK, AAMC). You'll be golden.

I found success by self-studying with EK. I used something called The MCAT Physics Book (I think that's what it was called) and did the practice questions in it before also going through EK physics, because my recall of physics was terrible by the time I decided I was going to take the MCAT, so I needed things broken down a bit more before I could benefit from EK's physics section. Those were the only resources I used to study for the MCAT. If you're not good at physics, the book I mentioned is awesome. It's been about 5 years since I studied for the MCAT, though.

If you did ALL of the problems from the TBR and TPR SWB, there is NO reason you should score less than 12-13 on the science sections of the MCAT.

You provided a lot of quality advice but it's insane to suggest all someone needs is to do a ton of practice problems to score in the 95th percentile on the MCAT. You don't need to be a genius but it takes some above average test taking skills to reach those numbers no matter how much someone studies.

You provided a lot of quality advice but it's insane to suggest all someone needs is to do a ton of practice problems to score in the 95th percentile on the MCAT. You don't need to be a genius but it takes some above average test taking skills to reach those numbers no matter how much someone studies.

In my opinion, if you completed all these problems and understand the ins and outs and the explanations of the science, you should be able to score in these ranges because you have done enough problems and have been exposed enough to be able to solve pretty much any problem thrown at you. If you do all these problems and don't really understand why you missed problems (just doing problems without reviewing them and making sure you understand why you missed them) then yeah, you prolly still won't.

I won't say you are guaranteed because this is obviously not true. Nothing is guaranteed. However, if you worked this hard and do what I said above, you should have the tools and knowledge to score in the 12-13 range on the sciences. Verbal is a different beast.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply guys.

Has anyone done the online course?

I used TPR online stuff + books, Khan Academy for extra review when I was tired of TPR, and one EK full length. The EK full-length was very realistic.
I was in the first batch of new MCAT takers, so I'm curious about how much TPR has changed their books - lots of irrelevant stuff, particularly in their math/physics book (which I skimmed through). Anyways, I got a 516.

So from what iv gathered is the best thing kaplan has is the biochem book? I have a princton review book and set of flashcards and trying to decide what other books to get before I start studying in march.

I agree. I also self-studied using just the EK books, roughly following the schedule provided on their website. I found it very, very helpful to have a prescribed amount I needed to get through on a given day and then I was done-- none of that "I should keep going as far as I possibly can tonight" mentality that drains you out, especially for something as colossal as the MCAT. I found the EK books to be concise and focused while also certainly being thorough enough for the scope of the MCAT.

Caveat though re self-study vs class is that I know I learn best through independent reading, be it books or slides, not through lecture or discussion as my primary means of intake. Do whatever style works best for you!

Question - when you studied for the MCAT using EK's study schedule online, were you taking classes alongside studying or did you dedicate a full 10 weeks to just MCAT studying? I am currently taking classes and am taking the MCAT in May, but am definitely able to dedicate 2-3 hours per day to MCAT prep, and much more on the weekends.

Im looking at taking the class with ExamKrackers, and just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts on the course. I used Kaplan last year and didn't find it helpful.

I really liked EK, especially the verbal. I used EK to broadly learn the material.

The 1000 question books get overly complicated compared to the real thing, but it is excellent practice. I used the Kaplan practice tests, and would intermittently throw in an AAMC here and there. Got my average up to a 32, then got a 32

Question - when you studied for the MCAT using EK's study schedule online, were you taking classes alongside studying or did you dedicate a full 10 weeks to just MCAT studying? I am currently taking classes and am taking the MCAT in May, but am definitely able to dedicate 2-3 hours per day to MCAT prep, and much more on the weekends.

I took the semester off from my post-bac classes but I worked a full-time 9-5 week. I'd say most days I studied between 2-4 hours (probably most around 2.5-3) to get through the day's assigned chapter, but I also then allocated weekend chunks to catchup (since invariably every now and then you may have to skip a night and doubleup on Saturday). So it looks like you're in the same boat as me, generally speaking - you can do it! Just map it out beforehand and make sure you give yourself enough time (especially since you'll face having exams in your coursework, which is something I didn't have to deal with).

Yes - highly recommend these books. I took a practice MCAT before any studying and got a 22. I bought used Biology, Chemistry, and Physics EK books off ebay and read through them for about 3 months for a few hours a day and then took my MCAT and got a 32. They're straightforward and to the point. I found they helped me become confident in covering all of my bases so that I would have all of the general knowledge necessary to guide me in the more specific problem-solving questions. In short, your educated guesses become much more educated.