Anyone know about the Palm Vx?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zummy

Easily intrigued. Fickle.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I did a search with no avail on this particular model. I was given this as a gift 3 years ago (!) and never used it. Now that I'll be starting rotations soon, will this be sufficient for a 3rd year med students needs? I'm pretty broke, so I'm hoping this will be ok.

I looked it up online and it says it has "8MB memory, a faster processor, and Palm OS 3.3"

I can't find the manual on it- just the charger- :laugh:

Any info/ opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a Vx three palms ago. 8 MB will NOT be sufficient to do much of anything for 3rd year. If you've never been a PDA-type, and you're broke, there's probably not too much reason for you to spend the money since you're not likely to use a new PDA to it's fullest and because you can still get just about everything you want in a paperback pocketbook.

Good luck with 3rd year.

thanks Vincristine!
How much more memory do I need? I think I'd like to use the PDA (i've used one in the past, just not in the past 3 years)

Members don't see this ad :)
Vincristine said:
I had a Vx three palms ago. 8 MB will NOT be sufficient to do much of anything for 3rd year. If you've never been a PDA-type, and you're broke, there's probably not too much reason for you to spend the money since you're not likely to use a new PDA to it's fullest and because you can still get just about everything you want in a paperback pocketbook.

Good luck with 3rd year.

I disagree.

I did quite well my third year of medical school with a Palm V, and that had only 2 megabytes of memory. Enough to fit ePocrates, which is all you really need anyway.

8MB might be enough to fit ePocrates and 5MCC, which would make it worth carrying. Otherwise, not much reason to have the PDA if the only thing you can use on it is ePocrates. Might as well just get a $9 Pharmacopoeia in that case.

If you're interested, AMSA has a special deal with a Palm Tungsten E that comes preloaded with 5MCC and a bunch of other software for $249, which seems like a pretty good deal. Go to their webpage and click on membership, and then benefits, and go to the PDA store. You'll need your AMSA number.

I was thinking about this, too as I begin my clinical years. I currently have a Palm m125 that I haven't really used much, however :D

Thanks for all the responses- I guess I'm going to have to fork out some dough... I'm going to check out that special- thanks :)

The Palm Vx was my first palm...and it was OK for college and the first two years of med school. Then I realized I needed more memory (and expansion memory!) for third year, when I wanted to load a dictionary, drug guide, medical reference, etc. Since then I've had the Toshiba e740 and Sony Clie PEG-NR70V/U.