Anyone know anything about Arizona Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angeleyes

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just got invited for an interview at Arizona. I have some questions that I hope someone in this forum can help me out with.

1. what is good about the school

2. is the school accredited?

Anything other info about the school would be much appreciated!

Angeleyes

Members don't see this ad.

angeleyes said:
Hi everyone,

I just got invited for an interview at Arizona. I have some questions that I hope someone in this forum can help me out with.

1. what is good about the school

2. is the school accredited?

Anything other info about the school would be much appreciated!

Angeleyes

1. Several good things about the school:
-Smaller class size is an asset - 54
-Boards are taken after the first year
-The technology available to students is top-notch (sim-lab, Laptop with all the books on DVDs)
-The school recruits SME's (subject matter experts) from different fields of study (i.e. microbiology) and they spend a week or 2 teaching the subject and this way the student learns materials from experts in their fields. I believe this happens only during the first year of study, materials relevant to boards I. I don't believe this happens past didactic first year science courses.
-I believe there's an ample patient pool (yet to be seen as the clinic is not open yet, but I can guess since I do reside in the Phoenix-metro area)
-You will gain a certificate of public health management
-Forth year will be comprised of rotations in community-based health centers as well as in the clinic which by the way is almost completed (see thier website).
-Location is great, weather is great and cost of living is reasonable.

2. The school has conditional accreditation and will become fully accredited when they graduate their first class (in 2007). In their brochure, this is stated: "The Commission on Dental Accreditation stated that the curriculum of ASDOH would become a model for dental school of the future."

Good luck during the interview and enjoy our great weather! :D

thank you very much for your reply. Do you know if the school is public or private? If the clinic is not open yet, then when do students begin working on people and with tools? I hope that its not only in the last year. I don't believe that is enough time to practice before boards. And if you take boards after first year, then what do you do in the next three years? By the way, does the school charge out of state tuition? Can you establish residency there?

thank you so much for input in this. I just want to make sure i know as much as I can before doing anything.

angeleyes

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity...a couple of questions to you Angel...

How can you not know anything about a school that you applied to?

How can you take other people's word for something when you haven't done any research for yourself?

Is it just me or does that seem kind of naive and immature for such an important and life-changing decision???

Thoughts anyone?

Dude, cut the poster a break. I've read through arizona's website a dozen times and it's not as good as the info you get here.

JavadiCavity said:
Dude, cut the poster a break. I've read through arizona's website a dozen times and it's not as good as the info you get here.

Thank you JavadiCavity. I agree completely. When I was filling out the supplemental ap for them. I read the website many times but I wanted to get more info on the school that was not published on the site. Aside from the small class size, huge need for dentists, and that it's the only dental school in the state for the past two years....I wanted to get an idea of the school before making any decisions. I apologize to the other poster if I came across as if I didn't do any research. :oops:

-Do you know if the school is public or private?
Private

If the clinic is not open yet, then when do students begin working on people and with tools?

Students currently work in the sim lab, but the new clinic will open soon then they will start there. Once the clinic is up and running, students from all years will work with patients in it.

I hope that its not only in the last year. I don't believe that is enough time to practice before boards.

Its not. Just because the school is new the first class will start working in the clinic in their 3rd year, this will not be typical for all future classes.

And if you take boards after first year, then what do you do in the next three years?

Clinical/pre-clinical skills

By the way, does the school charge out of state tuition? Can you establish residency there?

tuition is $31,000 for everyone. Because it is private, there is no "in-state tuition"

If you have any other questions, or would like to see the curriculum laid out by semester check out : http://www.asdoh.atsu.edu/pdf/ASDOH_catalog.pdf