Anyone know anything about the psych residency program at Yale?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureherooftime622

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm just wondering psych training at Yale or Harvard, what does it take to get in? I'm an IMG but I'm american.

There is one program I'm really interested in. It's an advocacy training pathway which aligns with my future career goals. I'll be doing my USMLEs after graduating this June. What would be the cut off score? What do they look for in applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

If your an IMG, most likely (95% and above) you will not get in to either. If you check their websites, none of the residents are IMGs. All graduated from a US MD school. If this was 10 years ago, you would definitely have a shot. Anyway, even if you don't go to Yale or Harvard for residency, getting a fellowship there is definitely possible. Even being an attending is plausible too. Just warning you, working at Yale or Harvard will result you getting paid less than the market salary. Personally, doing a fellowship (unless child or even addiction) is not worth it to me given how red hot the job market is for psychiatry

Reactions: 2 users
If your an IMG, most likely (95% and above) you will not get in to either. If you check their websites, none of the residents are IMGs. All graduated from a US MD school. If this was 10 years ago, you would definitely have a shot. Anyway, even if you don't go to Yale or Harvard for residency, getting a fellowship there is definitely possible. Even being an attending is plausible too. Just warning you, working at Yale or Harvard will result you getting paid less than the market salary. Personally, doing a fellowship (unless child or even addiction) is not worth it to me given how red hot the job market is for psychiatry

I believe there are a couple FMGs in those programs. Harvard has a resident from Oxford and Yale has several FMGs (Israel, India). However, those are individuals coming from prestigious international programs who are on par with elite US candidates in most fields. For IMGs coming from the Carib, I'd agree the odds are essentially zero (as well as for DOs or students from low-tier USMD schools).

Members don't see this ad :)
Ivy League, or so I hear.

I heard attendings are generally dissatisfied with their salaries and trainees wish that their training programs were not so heavily VA based and not so numerous in the positions available. I got the sense that many are also quite fatigued.

Hi there,

I'm just wondering psych training at Yale or Harvard, what does it take to get in? I'm an IMG but I'm american.

There is one program I'm really interested in. It's an advocacy training pathway which aligns with my future career goals. I'll be doing my USMLEs after graduating this June. What would be the cut off score? What do they look for in applicants?

I trained at Yale and was an IMG - granted I matched there in 2012 so things may have changed. It was a truly remarkable experience that exceeded my expectations in every way possible. I received excellent clinical training. I am a decent therapist, having carried 25 individual therapy patients in my third year. I got to do a lot of research and became part of a vibrant and diverse community. I miss it every single day.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard attendings are generally dissatisfied with their salaries and trainees wish that their training programs were not so heavily VA based and not so numerous in the positions available. I got the sense that many are also quite fatigued.

I think that this comment is a little hard to understand as it’s unclear which part applies to what you have heard about which program. MGH residents are fatigued but don’t have an excess of VA exposure. Yale is cush, but does have a lot of time at VA (granted this is a pretty amazing VA). Attendings are most unhappy with pay at the Harvard programs. I’m sure attendings are unhappy about this at Yale as well but it never came up or impacted training.

I think that this comment is a little hard to understand as it’s unclear which part applies to what you have heard about which program. MGH residents are fatigued but don’t have an excess of VA exposure. Yale is cush, but does have a lot of time at VA (granted this is a pretty amazing VA). Attendings are most unhappy with pay at the Harvard programs. I’m sure attendings are unhappy about this at Yale as well but it never came up or impacted training.

My understanding is that it is VA heavy in residency and throughout fellowships, which is one of the reasons they have so many positions. Apparently more and more attendings there are beginning to use VA emails as their primary mode of contact.

Hi there,

Based on the way your post reads, you seem to be most interested in big name prestige. In which case you should really look into the Princeton psychiatry program, as no other psychiatry program beats it in prestige

Seriously though, while there is just one Yale psychiatry program (which is, indeed, fantastic and big on advocacy issues), there are five Harvard psychiatry programs that differ in their perceived prestige/competitiveness and somewhat different in focus. Unless you're extraordinary in some way (significant advocacy work you've already done, solid research with highly cited articles etc), Yale and 4/5 Harvard psychiatry programs are out of your reach. However, Harvard South Shore program has historically been open to IMGs/FMGs (though expect it to become more competitive in the coming years, as it's a solid program and there are more AMGs applying to psychiatry now).

More importantly, you really don't need to go into a big name program to get into advocacy; what you need is exposure to the patient population you want to advocate for, your personal effort/motivation and some support/flexibility from the program. It helps if the program already has an established track in advocacy - here I should mention Harvard-affiliated Cambridge Health Alliance and Boston University Medical Center, for example - but most of all you need the program to be supportive of your interests, whichever they are.

Finally, I'd like to caution you about harping on advocacy issues in your residency application. Based on your posts in your other thread, it seems like you haven't done much or any advocacy work so far. Remember that you'll be competing with people who established student-run clinics at their med schools, service organization, or have already been involved with advocacy organizations at the national level. The best way to express interest in something is to show evedince of your involvement in advocacy efforts. Your advocacy interest may not be taken seriously (especially by competitive programs, which, like I said, get applications from people with significant advocacy involvement) unless you show some proof of involvement.

Reactions: 1 user
Yale and 4/5 Harvard psychiatry programs are out of your reach. However, Harvard South Shore program has historically been open to IMGs/FMGs (though expect it to become more competitive in the coming years, as it's a solid program and there are more AMGs applying to psychiatry now).

HSS might already be at that point. I’m an intern in the program and none of my coresidents are IMGs, none of the PGY2s are, I’m not sure about the 3s and 4s. Of the interview candidates I’ve seen, none have been IMGs (I haven’t seen every interview day but I at least try to look at the list of who is interviewing). I hope we interview at least a few... we might have, I just haven’t seen or met any. Thanks for calling us a solid program, I think we have a lot to offer.