Anyone know if its possible to get a signing bonus for HPSP?

Started by Ozymandsss
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ozymandsss

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering, since I have an MPH, do you think I might be able to ask for some extra money up front when I start HPSP? Please don't think I am only doing HPSP for the money, as I am truly excited to dedicate myself (and particularly my MPH) to the military, its just that I am in a serious financial situation with loans from undergrad and graduate school that must be paid back and anything helps. Has anyone ever heard of someone getting more than the monthly stipends, or is it pretty much set in stone?
 
Ozymandsss said:
I was wondering, since I have an MPH, do you think I might be able to ask for some extra money up front when I start HPSP? Please don't think I am only doing HPSP for the money, as I am truly excited to dedicate myself (and particularly my MPH) to the military, its just that I am in a serious financial situation with loans from undergrad and graduate school that must be paid back and anything helps. Has anyone ever heard of someone getting more than the monthly stipends, or is it pretty much set in stone?


Sure. You can steal their pen.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, I have a BS, PhD, MBA, DDS, Ed.D., MSN, CPHQ, CCRC, on my way to a DO, MENSA qualified, former fighter pilot, and can hit my driver 320 down the middle. But the AF said I wasn't qualified enough to recieve that elusive signing bonus. :meanie:
 
There is such a thing as "advance pay", where you can be paid early, I believe up to six months pay. I would only recommend it if you are endanger of defaulting, foreclosure, or something that will ruin your credit record. You won't be paid for the period of the advance though, so it usually only exacerbates the financial problems that already exist.
 
Advanced pay is for AD people where you get up to 3 months base pay when PCSing, repayable over 1-2 years. Not likely get a stipend advanced to you. It is an interest free loan.
 
I got a nice pen and mug! They ran out of backpacks though.............. 😡
 
I got a refrigerator magnet.......envious aren't you? 🙂
 
Wait a minute...you guys are getting PAID?!?!?!
😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀