Anyone know which schools emphasize clinic experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddsmission

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title states, anyone know which schools emphasize in their curriculum, clinical experience to build better general dentists?

Members don't see this ad.

Tufts definitely does. You can see where they spent a ton of $ and focus. The clinics are quite spectacular.

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU, stonybrook. buffalo, Upenn.

Definitely not harvard or columbia. They are big into research and from what I heard, you don't do anything with your hands for the first two years. This was the case a couple of years ago, but maybe this changed.

From the schools I saw ASDOH really values clinical experience inside and outside the school (tons of rotations, Penn, Temple, and NYU have just a huge number of cases available.

they don't do anything with their hands the first two years? not even on fake teeth? what the hell?

Incorrect information.

Last edited:
Columbia's and UConn's first two years are the same as two years in their medical schools. Just didactics. You sit in the same rooms and take the same tests.

Not true. We do take dental courses the first two years... We start clinic the summer after 2nd year. We only take the science courses with the med students.

I have a friend going to LECOM and he was practice drilling the first week of classes. This was pretty impressive to me.

Newer schools like Western, LECOM, ASDOH (etc) use a lot of rotations and experience in actual dental office/clinic settings since their clinics had to open from scratch. That is why I was not afraid to apply to them.

they don't do anything with their hands the first two years? not even on fake teeth? what the hell?

That is what I heard a couple of years ago. I know someone who is an oral surgeon. He did his dental school at Harvard, but he choose to go to stonybrook after to continue his education because of better clinicals.

Not true. We do take dental courses the first two years... We start clinic the summer after 2nd year. We only take the science courses with the med students.

I hope everyone takes everything I say as a grain of salt.