anyone not send thank you notes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zurned

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many ppl do not send thank you notes on this forum? I sent them to my first several interviews but now i just don't feel like doing it anymore.

Members don't see this ad.

i have never sent one

I sent thank-you cards to my first couple interviewers because I was so scared of not getting in that I didn't want to leave anything to chance. However, as the process progressed, the more I thought about it the more absurd and distasteful I found this custom of having to "thank" our interviewers for grilling us. I mean, it's not like the admissions committees are doing any charity work and reviewing us for free. We get gouged on the $100+ application fees, we paid for the airline tickets to fly out there, and we arranged our own travel arrangements. It's like "thank you for taking all my money and reaming me. Thank you sir, can I have another?"

It also smacks of insincerity and brown-nosing. I know many on this site are convinced that sending the cards constitutes "good courtesy", but I just don't see how it computes. I'm not following the logic here. I always send my LOR writers thank-you cards, because they took time out to do something for you. Conversely, your interviewers are not doing you any favours, they are evaluating and examining you. It's part of their job. I would maybe thank my interviewer after I got in (only if he/she was truly nice during the interview) for going to bat for me. Thanking them "in advance" just feels too agenda-ridden and disingenuous. That's how I would feel if I were an interviewer receiving thank-you cards.

Now I would definitely send thank-you cards, gifts, etc. to your student hosts (if you used them). They are the true heros, taking time out of their busy schedules to accomodate a complete stranger for free.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't send any either. I agree with Messerschmitts all the way. and I got an acceptance for my first interview anyway a few days later, so I really don't think it matters. Different story for student hosts, I agree. They deserve a whole lot of thanks.

I sent thank-you's for the first two schools I visited, then stopped. I was actually instructed not to send any thank-you notes to interviewers until after a decision had been reached at one school. So far, the notes don't seem to matter. The only school I've been waitlisted at so far was one of the two that I sent a thank you to my interviewer.

I only send thank you notes to interviewers that were really great people and where we had interesting topics of conversation. That being said...I have send thank you notes (either email or hand-written notes) to everyone!! (except the people I could not find contact info on)...

Ironically, the only schools I've gotten into were the ones which I DID NOT send a thank you letter to

BMW M3 said:
Ironically, the only schools I've gotten into were the ones which I DID NOT send a thank you letter to

you must suck at thanksgiving :rolleyes:

zurned said:
How many ppl do not send thank you notes on this forum? I sent them to my first several interviews but now i just don't feel like doing it anymore.

i never sent one, but i got in just fine (and this was on my second year applying to the same school).

i got an acceptance via e-mail the same day I put my thank you notes in snail mail. one more instance that shows thank you notes are not essential.

zurned said:

I've never even HEARD of thank-you notes until SDN. Noone that went to undergrad or are currently in med school with me sent thank you notes.

If you want to make a good impression and try to ensure that your top picks keep you at the front of their minds, I'd definately recomend it. I don't know how much of a difference it really ends up making, but I'd say that if you want to throw in a few extra brownie points, it'd be a good plan. It doesn't have to be a deep, elaborate, long letter.. just a few words of gratitude. It definately wouldn't hurt, anyway ;)

thegymbum said:
If you want to make a good impression and try to ensure that your top picks keep you at the front of their minds, I'd definately recomend it. I don't know how much of a difference it really ends up making, but I'd say that if you want to throw in a few extra brownie points, it'd be a good plan. It doesn't have to be a deep, elaborate, long letter.. just a few words of gratitude. It definately wouldn't hurt, anyway ;)

They normally make the decision on your acceptance the day they interview you unless you are waitlisted. I suppose if you are waitlisted, sending a thank you note is the least of your problems anyway. You obviously have something wrong with your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have never sent a thank you note but I haven't gotten any acceptances yet. Can i blame my current situation on not sending thank you notes then? I have to blame SOMETHING

AxlxA said:
Have never sent a thank you note but I haven't gotten any acceptances yet. Can i blame my current situation on not sending thank you notes then? I have to blame SOMETHING

i haven't sent a single one, just got too busy...and so far am 4/4 on acceptances after interview, still waiting to hear back from 2 more post-interview this coming week or next. :)

i think what's better than a thank you note is the infamous "letter of interest/intent" that shows your continued interest in the school... if i was a bit more focused post-interview i totally would've sent one of these right away, and am actually planning on sending one out first thing monday.

that said, i think thank you notes smack of false gratitude, because you still haven't heard back... i mean, why would you say thank you to someone who might have written not very nice things about you? or if you performed poorly, i don't see the point either. but if you actually did get some good help from your interviewer, or have a reason to genuinely say thank you, then i don't see what's wrong...

Most schools have interviewers evaluate you right after the interview. So, thank you's typically don't matter. That said, send them anyway.

zurned said:

This topic comes up over and over again, and reflects everything that is wrong with the "premed" mentality (and a certain level of immaturity of some folks) out there. Thank you notes WILL NOT AFFECT ADMISSION, Period. However they are a matter of common courtesy. You are going into a profession, and it doesn't hurt to show the good business etiquette expected of a professional; it is something quite common in the business and professional school interview setting. If you would only send a thank you note if you thought it could affect your admission status, you are really totally missing the point. Nor is it an issue of false gratitude, or trying to sway adcoms -- again, it does not play a role in admissions and you should do them without expecting it to have any effect (as opposed to a LOI). It's simply about good manners.

Law2Doc said:
Nor is it an issue of false gratitude, or trying to sway adcoms -- again, it does not play a role in admissions and you should do them without expecting it to have any effect (as opposed to a LOI). It's simply about good manners.

My opinion is that it doesn't make any sense, what is there to thank the adcoms for? I paid all the fees for the honour of you grilling me, now I thank you so that I can have another paddling? If it were up to me, we would all agree to stop sending thank-you notes. I mean, did you send a thank-you note to your MCAT proctor? To me it's the same thing. They're not there to do you any favours. To thank someone means they did something nice for you that deserves a showing of gratitude. I simply don't see where this bubbly feeling of gratitude to my interviewer is supposed to be coming from.

But that said, I respect your opinion. It is interesting however that to some people, it's completely obvious that you need to show "common courtesy/etiquette" to the interviewers by sending them thank-you notes, whereas to people like me, the concept is completely foreign and makes no logical sense. It would not even of come across my mind if not for talking to other pre-meds.

Messerschmitts said:
My opinion is that it doesn't make any sense, what is there to thank the adcoms for? I paid all the fees for the honour of you grilling me, now I thank you so that I can have another paddling? If it were up to me, we would all agree to stop sending thank-you notes. I mean, did you send a thank-you note to your MCAT proctor? To me it's the same thing. They're not there to do you any favours. To thank someone means they did something nice for you that deserves a showing of gratitude. I simply don't see where this bubbly feeling of gratitude to my interviewer is supposed to be coming from.

But that said, I respect your opinion. It is interesting however that to some people, it's completely obvious that you need to show "common courtesy/etiquette" to the interviewers by sending them thank-you notes, whereas to people like me, the concept is completely foreign and makes no logical sense. It would not even of come across my mind if not for talking to other pre-meds.

Exactly :thumbup:

The adcoms didn't do you any favors---they are paid to be there whether you are or not.

Ehh, there's really nothing to THANK them for, really. But like others have said, send the thank-you's to your interviewers anyway, because it's customary--not just for med school, but for jobs, internships, etc. Any American who's been out in the real world knows this. (I say "American" because it may vary by country, I dunno.)

I think of it as analogous to tipping. The cab driver, waiter, bartender or pizza guy may just be only doing their jobs (like interviewers are), but unless they are totally lousy, I tip them.

Of course, tipping with money and sending thank-you notes are different, but the point is the same: You lose almost nothing by doing it, and it shows courtesy and respect, that's all.

Wait . . . we're NOT supposed to tip our interviewers . . . oh man! I thought it was customary and I figured it couldn't hurt . . . :laugh:

:laugh: I bet it'd evoke the same reaction as if, instead of handing over a buck, you'd hand over to the bartender a napkin on which you wrote, "Thank you!"

Hmm... Especially since I am in the South, I definitely send thank-you notes. When I was interviewing for various positions in the hospital, the "head guy" urged me to send thank-you's to every single person I talked to. It's professional curtesy and it's expected here. In fact, I still send the guy who hired me little notes every couple of months telling him how much I like my job and thanking him for the opportunity. Consequently, he gives me a hug every time I see him and always wants to help my with my application. :)

i think what's better than a thank you note is the famous "letter of interest/intent" that shows your continued interest in the school... if i was a bit more focused post-interview i totally would've sent one of these right away, and am actually planning on sending one out first thing monday.

gratitude, because you still haven't heard back... i mean, why would you say thank you to someone who might have written not very nice things about you? or if you performed poorly, i don't see the point either. but if you actually did get some good help from your interviewer, or have a reason to genuinely say thank you, then i don't see what's wrong...

i was interested in sending a written "thanks for nothing" note, is this allowed?

This topic comes up over and over again, and reflects everything that is wrong with the "premed" mentality (and a certain level of immaturity of some folks) out there. Thank you notes WILL NOT AFFECT ADMISSION, Period. However they are a matter of common courtesy. You are going into a profession, and it doesn't hurt to show the good business etiquette expected of a professional; it is something quite common in the business and professional school interview setting. If you would only send a thank you note if you thought it could affect your admission status, you are really totally missing the point. Nor is it an issue of false gratitude, or trying to sway adcoms -- again, it does not play a role in admissions and you should do them without expecting it to have any effect (as opposed to a LOI). It's simply about good manners.

Agreed. Why does every little thing we do have to be judged as "Will this help or hurt my application?" I bet in most cases, by the time you get home (especially if you're flying), write the notes, find stamps (always a problem at my place!), mail them, wait 3-4 days until they actually get to the place, wait another 3-4 days until the admissions secretary sorts them out to the addressee -- the committee's probably already made their decision by then.

My mom made me write thank-you notes for every birthday present and Christmas present I received after the age of 5, plus all my high school graduation presents, plus a note to everyone who helped me in the college admissions process. So if you're used to writing thank-you notes, you'll just do it automatically -- and WELL. If you're only writing thank-yous to make the admissions committee like you, that does indeed smack of brown-nosing.

Based on a very small sample of applicants to one school, I can say that 33% of applicants send thank you notes.

If you are doing it to make points with the adcom, don't bother. If you were brought up like Writer1985, then write them. A sincere "thank you, I enjoyed hearing about xxx at yyy medical school and our conversation about ---" is all you need.

i got an acceptance via e-mail the same day I put my thank you notes in snail mail. one more instance that shows thank you notes are not essential.

Thank you notes may not be essential to getting into medical school, but that doesn't mean it's appropriate to NOT send one even if your interviewer was especially scary. They still volunteered to take time out of their busy schedules to interview you. Plus, you never know when that rudeness on your part could come back and bite you. Spend the two minutes (or even less) it takes to write down three lines on the card and throw it in the mail for pete's sake.

On one hand, I don't see how a thank you note is going to make you look any better than you did at the interview. However, I think that interviews are kind of a business thing, and in that sense, it's customary to say thank you. I am sending thank you note to my schools, and if they were extra accomodating to my travel schedule, I am sure to include that.