thank you note question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fd25

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a school tells you during the admissions presentation on interview day where you should send thank you notes "if you choose to send one," does indicate that they are expected? I had an interview with two interviewers at the same time, one of which was on the committee, so because our conversation was had simultaneously, I would not want to come across as disingenuous by sending similar letters to both.

I also feel like thank you notes are kind of seen as meaningless pleasantries by adcoms, but I also do not want to seem unappreciative. It was my favorite interview thus far, so I do want to make a good impression.

Any advice appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools do use thank you notes as a measure of "continued interest" on the part of the applicant. Others don't.
It is highly unlikely that the interviewers will whip out your thank you letters and compare them for similar verbiage. Write from your heart if you feel it and then move on.

Reactions: 1 user
Some schools do use thank you notes as a measure of "continued interest" on the part of the applicant. Others don't.
It is highly unlikely that the interviewers will whip out your thank you letters and compare them for similar verbiage. Write from your heart if you feel it and then move on.
I was concerned about the comparison due to the fact that admissions directs thank you notes to the general admissions email, so if I send both there, I just figured maybe somebody would see both.

Perhaps I’m overthinking?

Members don't see this ad :)
If a school tells you during the admissions presentation on interview day where you should send thank you notes "if you choose to send one," does indicate that they are expected? I had an interview with two interviewers at the same time, one of which was on the committee, so because our conversation was had simultaneously, I would not want to come across as disingenuous by sending similar letters to both.

I also feel like thank you notes are kind of seen as meaningless pleasantries by adcoms, but I also do not want to seem unappreciative. It was my favorite interview thus far, so I do want to make a good impression.

Any advice appreciated!
Just send one if your mom raised you to be polite

Reactions: 1 user