Anyone Older Than Me??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theone1979

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

I was just wondering how old we all are, and if it's possible I am the oldest of the bunch.

I am 31 years old and have been accepted at several schools for this coming fall, which means I will be 32 when I START med school.

Anyone here as ancient?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys

I was just wondering how old we all are, and if it's possible I am the oldest of the bunch.

I am 31 years old and have been accepted at several schools for this coming fall, which means I will be 32 when I START med school.

Anyone here as ancient?

Not quite, but if I get in this year (interview on Friday, fingers crossed) I will be 30 when I start. Sort of freaks ya out doesn't it?

I'm 32 but I know I am far from the oldest. I already know of several 40+ individuals that will be starting med school in the fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys are OLD! I won't turn 30 until October.

I get to start medical school in my 20s!

Last edited:

I know it's a technicality but depending on the actual start day of school wherever I manage to be accepted at, I may be 29 as well. I turn 30 the first week of August.

lol part of my interview strategy is to emphasize my maturity and real-world experience. I'm 28.

hey guys

Anyone here as ancient?

Haha. I got ya beat. ;)

Little punk!

I'm 34, will be 36 when I start (summmer B-day) and don't make me slap you silly youngins!!! Sheesh! Old! :p

Great to see others here that are a bit longer in the tooth!

Moose, you said you had me beat but didn't mention how old you are. So?

Starting this fall - at 45 (but I don't feel older than 30)

Members don't see this ad :)

And here I was thinking I was Oh so old...24! Looks like you are pretty young TheOne...

I'm 33 and will be starting this fall! So, I'm not too young, not too old....I'm just right.

Btw, congrats to those of you who are 'in' but be thankful OP that you didn't post this in the non-trad forum ;)

I'm 29 and feeling too young to apply. What's with the age insecurity?

I'm 29 and just started taking pre-requisites. If all goes well I'll matriculate at 31. I have a friend who I believe is a year older than me that just got accepted. He said it's his lifelong goal to have a real job by the time he's 40! :laugh:

Guy in my class is 42 taking pre-reqs for optometry school. Lots of older folks. We bring the class average (grades) up! :thumbup:

There's an OMS-II at LECOM that must be in her fifties, maybe her sixties, and a friend of mine in my pathway is thirty-three I think as an OMS-I. You'll find more people your age than you know when classes start in the Summer/Fall.

Hey i was in 19 when i started my medical and in age of 23 i completed my BDS.

32. I think you're only as old as you let yourself feel. ;)

32. I think you're only as old as you let yourself feel. ;)

Shoot... I'm feeling old right now.... 5 semesters of FT school plus FT work is starting to drag me down...

Shoot... I'm feeling old right now.... 5 semesters of FT school plus FT work is starting to drag me down...

Don't sweat it, man. You just need to take it one semester at a time. I remember (vaguely now... because it was so traumatic...) going FT for 15 straight semesters while working 50-60 hours a week. It was brutal, but all that work finally paid off and I get to focus on just school for the next 4 years. I feel like I'm about to step into a vacation for med school. haha.

if we're at the same school, it's gonna be awesome to have you guys as classmates :thumbup: please don't exclude us young'ins from joining your clique :D

Don't sweat it, man. You just need to take it one semester at a time. I remember (vaguely now... because it was so traumatic...) going FT for 15 straight semesters while working 50-60 hours a week. It was brutal, but all that work finally paid off and I get to focus on just school for the next 4 years. I feel like I'm about to step into a vacation for med school. haha.

you guys have so much more life experience; i 'should' be embarrassed if I complain much then :oops: but the complaining will happen naturally from lack of experience sooo please bear with us :p

if we're at the same school, it's gonna be awesome to have you guys as classmates :thumbup: please don't exclude us young'ins from joining your clique :D

you guys have so much more life experience; i 'should' be embarrassed if I complain much then :oops: but the complaining will happen naturally from lack of experience sooo please bear with us :p

Haha. We all complain, but it's always a relative thing. ;)

Well what school will you be attending?

It's nice to hear that you are looking forward to attending school with some "older" applicants. And no....we would never exclude you.

27 here so looks like im the youngest of the "old folks" crowd. But i have several people in my class who are 40+ and one guy who looks to be in his 50s easily here @ PCOM. As for youngest...I have a kid in my class who is 20...cant even come to the post exam events! You will enjoy med school being a little older...trust me. You will have a disconnect from most of your class...but you have more real world perspective. I tend to have more of an outside of medschool life than most of my younger classmates...and I wouldnt change it for the world!

I will be celebrating my 40th Birthday just a few weeks into my first semester of school this fall. :hardy: I am curious to see if I end up being the oldest student in my class. I worry a little about "fitting in" with my younger classmates but I don't feel especially old and I don't think I "act" that way, either.

I have heard that 50 is the new 30. I figure 40 is the new 20. :laugh:

FuturePittMed - I totally agree with you. I have so much more energy now than I did when I was 20.

So, if 40 is the new 20, and I'm 33, then 33 is the new 13? I love this new math. :laugh:

I will be celebrating my 40th Birthday just a few weeks into my first semester of school this fall. :hardy: I am curious to see if I end up being the oldest student in my class. I worry a little about "fitting in" with my younger classmates but I don't feel especially old and I don't think I "act" that way, either.

I have heard that 50 is the new 30. I figure 40 is the new 20. :laugh:

I feel the same way, and I am hoping there are a few of us around the same age. I love younger people but as for "hanging out" no..we tend to like different things. I do not want to be anyone's parent, nor do I want to feel left out. I have a few leads on clubs that I will join when I start school. I am depending on these clubs for my social activities since I will know noone at my new town.

Oh and yes 40 is the new 20 I look and feel so good for my age!!!!

Shooting for class of 2016 and will start at 34 yo! This is the best time of my life tho. I have had my two babies, enjoyed watching them grow, traveled, completed my nursing career and had time with my husband. Now it's ME time! So excited!

I'm 34, will be 36 when I start (summmer B-day) and don't make me slap you silly youngins!!! Sheesh! Old! :p

We must be twins, I'm about to turn 35 and will be 36 when I start.

I'm 42. IF I go through with applying and IF I'm accepted the first time around, I will be 44 upon application and 45 upon matriculation.

I'm looking at a D.O. program and would have a letter of recommendation from one of the clinical sites. Still it's a huge committment from someone my age... not sure if I'll go this route or the PA route yet.

I believe that there are pros and cons of being an older student.

CONS
Timeline At Best - apply age 44, matriculate age 45, graduate age 49, residency complete age 52 - leaving 13-23 years of attending

Stamina - As a smoke/alcohol/caffeine free yoga instructor I'm pretty darn healthy. However my energy levels are still not what they were when I was 25.

No Turning Back - At 20 something if you enroll in medical school and don't like it, you still have time to do something else. At my age when you enroll in medical school it's literally a commitment til the end of your life.

PROS
Financially Stable - not stressed by money. Can wait for the long term financial return - no rush to make money.

No Distractions - Married to busy traveling executive, already raised children. So would have no distractions to get in the way.

Sound Reasoning - Attracted to medicine for the desire to serve. Not for 'money/power'.

Maturity - have dealt with some real nice people and some real A-wholes, so am much less aggravated by the small stuff than many younger folks

Life Experience - have had plenty of hard knocks and helped loved ones with serious tragedies, therefore a great degree of compassion and empathy. Higher 'EQ'

Professional Experience - have worked 70+ hours/wk for as a owner of a marketing firm for peanuts, so won't be so shocked by demands of med school

Last edited:
I'm about to turn 30, if I get in the next cycle I will be 31 when I start.

CONS
Timeline At Best - apply age 44, matriculate age 45, graduate age 49, residency complete age 52 - leaving 13-23 years of attending

Stamina - As a smoke/alcohol/caffeine free yoga instructor I'm pretty darn healthy. However my energy levels are still not what they were when I was 25.

No Turning Back - At 20 something if you enroll in medical school and don't like it, you still have time to do something else. At my age when you enroll in medical school it's literally a commitment til the end of your life.

PROS
Financially Stable - not stressed by money. Can wait for the long term financial return - no rush to make money.

No Distractions - Married to busy traveling executive, already raised children. So would have no distractions to get in the way.

Sound Reasoning - Attracted to medicine for the desire to serve. Not for 'money/power'.

Maturity - have dealt with some real nice people and some real A-wholes, so am much less aggravated by the small stuff than many younger folks

Life Experience - have had plenty of hard knocks and helped loved ones with serious tragedies, therefore a great degree of compassion and empathy. Higher 'EQ'

Professional Experience - have worked 70+ hours/wk for as a owner of a marketing firm for peanuts, so won't be so shocked by demands of med school

I wish I had gotten on that band wagon earlier... but I guess I'll need to wait until I'm 40 to start having them...

I applied very late this year to LMU-DCOM at 39 years of age. I returned to school after 11 years doing home health/outpatient/inpatient physical therapy and a 5 year stint in the Navy.

Due to applying so late I expect to be reapplying in June.

In all honesty I would've liked to have started med school two years ago, but reading the posts in this thread makes me feel like such a youngster lol.

Last edited:

CONS

PROS

mafunk; while I totally agree with everything you have stated above....I caution you about being a die-hard advocate for your cause. You still have to be peers with a lot of people who are the same age as your kids, and if you have a superior attitude towards them, even if only in private, you will find it difficult to relate and work as part of a team because trust me...they will be able to sense it.

And I say this with much love and affection, as someone who is also an older student that shares many attributes with you:)

Having a 19 year old as a lab partner in your prereqs will humble you and surprise you. You don't have to be older to have a large degree of compassion and empathy.

mafunk; while I totally agree with everything you have stated above....I caution you about being a die-hard advocate for your cause. .

I hear you.... my post was more about why I feel I can do it and what assets I bring to the table. It was not meant to undermine my younger peers. I tell you what... my 14 year old son can outsmart me in every scholastic subject ;)

And I know some very compassionate young ones.

My tech writing teacher was 46 when he got accepted and I volunteer with a PA who is in his 70s and just took the mcat!

I'll be 29 this March, taking the MCAT in August. Hopefully getting in by the time I'm 30-31. Kinda scary to think I won't get out on my own til around 37-38.

If 40 is the new 20, then I'm 9 years old?! AND I can legally drink alcohol?! WHAT HAS THIS COUNTRY COME TO?!?!

Gotta say (at the risk of pissing off the youngsters) I'm really hoping for plenty of "older" folks in my class! Love me some non-traditionals :love:

check out the upcoming Old Pre Meds conference in June in Las vegas (http://www.oldpremeds.org/conference/):

Miriam Bar-on, MD
Professor of Pediatrics and Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education, University of Nevada School of Medicine

Terri Richardson, MD, MS
Consultant Special Projects University Corporation & California State University Chancellor's Office, Health Professions Advisor, California State University, Northridge

Judy Colwell, MA
Former Assistant Director of Admissions
Stanford University School of Medicine
presenting "The Nuts and Bolts of Applying"

Tara Cook, MD
Department of Neurology
Malcolm Grow Medical Center, USAF, presenting "Choosing a Residency (and other things I wish I had known"

Trena Gologan, MBA
Admissions Coordinator/Recruiter
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
(Georgia campus) presenting "Professionalism and
Admissions: a viewpoint from the other side"

Gabriel Lerman, DO, MS
UMDNJ-School of Osteopathic Medicine presenting "You've Been Accepted! Congratulations. Now What?"

Richard Levy, MA
Executive Director, National Society for Nontraditional Premedical & Medical Students presenting "Lexicon for the New OldPreMed"

Conference Highlights
Panel Discussion: "Spouse's View: Impact of Significant Other in Medical School"

Panel Discussion: "Residency Training: Choosing a Medical Speciality"

Networking Dinners: with Speakers & OldPreMeds Officers on Friday Evening

Who cares about your age. Everyone rolls at different stages in life. Honestly, I would shoot myself if class was full of a bunch of 22 year olds just barely understanding what life/relationships are about. Get over the fact that you kicked ass and did diverse and meaningful things and just enjoy the road you are currently on. I know if I was 22 and matriculating, I would be ****ting my pants and throwing it against walls because I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I am not ashamed of that in the least, and I am glad I am with other people who would say the same thing.