Anyone Older Than Me??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Who cares about your age. Everyone rolls at different stages in life. Honestly, I would shoot myself if class was full of a bunch of 22 year olds just barely understanding what life/relationships are about. Get over the fact that you kicked ass and did diverse and meaningful things and just enjoy the road you are currently on. I know if I was 22 and matriculating, I would be ****ting my pants and throwing it against walls because I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I am not ashamed of that in the least, and I am glad I am with other people who would say the same thing.

You know I think this is very "ageist" of you to think that all 22 year olds don't know jack about life, relationships and have no idea what they're doing. No, I am not 22, but i'm not much older than that. There are immature people at almost every age, but if you've made it this far and into medical school, odds are you aren't someone who's clueless about life. Young doesn't = naive and older doesn't = wiser. You say that you shouldn't care about age and yet you go on a mini-rant about 22 year olds. I'm not so sure i'd like you as a classmate if you judge others this way.

Members don't see this ad.

You know I think this is very "ageist" of you to think that all 22 year olds don't know jack about life, relationships and have no idea what they're doing. No, I am not 22, but i'm not much older than that. There are immature people at almost every age, but if you've made it this far and into medical school, odds are you aren't someone who's clueless about life. Young doesn't = naive and older doesn't = wiser. You say that you shouldn't care about age and yet you go on a mini-rant about 22 year olds. I'm not so sure i'd like you as a classmate if you judge others this way.

That is a great point. You're right. I take it back and apologize. I've met 22 year olds who have much more sense about them then many 30+ year olds i've met. I just used an inappropriate cliche to describe a certain mentality. No offense to 22 year olds (or people of any age) that have had kick ass life experiences and have the maturity and sound mentality to get this far and who will become great physicians. Thanks for setting me straight AutumnChild.

I totally agree that we should not be "ageist". I've met many amazing "younger" kids that know a lot more than I did at their age. However, in my experience the "older" pre-health students just bring a lot of life experience and, naturally, maturity to the scene and early 20's can be a tough time for many students who are still figuring themselves out.

You're right though. I've met some really immature "older" applicants as well...just not as many :lame:. Also, don't count on the interview process to filter out the immature ones.

Oh well though, guess theres time to grow up during the next 4+ years :laugh:.

Members don't see this ad :)

While I agree not every 22 year old is ridiculous and immature, I have yet to meet anyone that would say "I was wiser at 22 than I am 8 years later". There is just a certain knowledge you obtain from living, of course not everyone grasps that knowledge but it is there nonetheless.

That is a great point. You're right. I take it back and apologize. I've met 22 year olds who have much more sense about them then many 30+ year olds i've met. I just used an inappropriate cliche to describe a certain mentality. No offense to 22 year olds (or people of any age) that have had kick ass life experiences and have the maturity and sound mentality to get this far and who will become great physicians. Thanks for setting me straight AutumnChild.

Haha, no problem. I do understand where you're coming from though, and maybe you've run into a few clueless young'ns who think they're all that (I know I have), but in the end I think in a field like medicine there's a much greater chance of learning from fellow classmates whether they are older or younger than you - it's hard to get to this point without a certain maturity level-, versus in the general public, lol. Now I take back my comment about not wanting you as a classmate :) It's nice to see people who take criticisms graciously.

Haha, no problem. I do understand where you're coming from though, and maybe you've run into a few clueless young'ns who think they're all that (I know I have), but in the end I think in a field like medicine there's a much greater chance of learning from fellow classmates whether they are older or younger than you - it's hard to get to this point without a certain maturity level-, versus in the general public, lol. Now I take back my comment about not wanting you as a classmate :) It's nice to see people who take criticisms graciously.

No, thank you. Come to KCUMB with us, we have a crazy crew, it will be a lot of fun.

Gotta say (at the risk of pissing off the youngsters) I'm really hoping for plenty of "older" folks in my class! Love me some non-traditionals :love:
Amen to this!

I'll be done with my Master's in the fall and 30 years young in Nov. Hopefully I'll have everything done and matriculated by 32ish!

No, thank you. Come to KCUMB with us, we have a crazy crew, it will be a lot of fun.

Unfortunately I already put my deposit down for DMU and thus forfeited my seat at KCUMB. It seems like you guys have a pretty enthusiastic bunch though. The KCUMB thread is so active! I don't doubt you all will have a great time :)

I have a seven year old and a two year old and since kids drain years from your SOUL I'd consider myself a thirty-something year old stuck in a twenty-something year old's body:laugh:

I'll be 21 when I start M1... I'm a baby. Awesome though to see people at any age going into medicine, I hope I have some nontrads in my class when I start. Judging anything by age in the medical field is foolish. I know a few ER nurses, and a few PAs I traveled to El Salvador with who are either going to medical school or going back to school.

Yay old people. :p

hey guys

I was just wondering how old we all are, and if it's possible I am the oldest of the bunch.

I am 31 years old and have been accepted at several schools for this coming fall, which means I will be 32 when I START med school.

Anyone here as ancient?

I am the same age as you are. I used to think that I am getting too old to do this, but this is what I tell myself. At our age, we will have to work until we are at least 67 anyway before we retire. If we start med school in the next few years, we will have to work the same amount of years whether we are doctors or doing whatever else it is we are doing now. I know I was not ready to do this and I lacked the confidence to do this when I was 21, but now I am ready. I wish I was as ready at a young age like the younger people on this board are now, but we can't change the past, we can only look ahead.

I should be done with prereqs by next spring, and I hope to take the MCAT next summer. I'll be 33 when I start.

Good luck to you!

I'm 35 possibly starting DO in august.

hey guys

I was just wondering how old we all are, and if it's possible I am the oldest of the bunch.

I am 31 years old and have been accepted at several schools for this coming fall, which means I will be 32 when I START med school.

Anyone here as ancient?

I am one year older!! That means I will be 33 when I start ...and c'mon is 32/33 really ancient?!:D

I wish I had gotten on that band wagon earlier... but I guess I'll need to wait until I'm 40 to start having them...

I feel ya Moose! I guess everyone's having them at 40 these days so why not us? :D

I'll be the same age as you if I matriculate and I definitely don't consider that old.

The body of a 46 year old dentist and the mind of a 19 year old is throwing his hat into the ring..It is a pleasure to meet with you all..:thumbup::laugh: