anyone out there using only FA and wikipedia??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Sybian

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
thats pretty much what im doin... readin thru FA and using wiki whenever i need more info / clarification / etc.

i just want my damn 185 so i can get on with my sorry-ass life

any other lazy ppl out there like me?

Members don't see this ad.

Yea I'm using wikipedia and my collection of medical factoid Snapple wrappers... Just trying to get this sht over with, na' mean dawg?

thats pretty much what im doin... readin thru FA and using wiki whenever i need more info / clarification / etc.

If you are looking for people who are lazy about step 1, you have certainly come to the wrong place.

Are you doing any questions? Maybe you want to consider doing some questions to stay on the safe side.

Members don't see this ad :)

Wikipedia???? :eek:

Are you doing any questions? Maybe you want to consider doing some questions to stay on the safe side.

questions??? that really seems like a lot more work to do

i'd probably have to wake up before noon and study more than a few hrs a day if i started to add more review books, question banks, etc.

i'm not down with that

sounds like you're livin the high life. :thumbup: what do you do with all your free time? i hear "hot fuzz" is pretty funny, if u havent seen that yet.

questions??? that really seems like a lot more work to do

i'd probably have to wake up before noon and study more than a few hrs a day if i started to add more review books, question banks, etc.

i'm not down with that

lol.

wikipedia rocks. I wouldn't use it and FA for board prep, but It sure is helping me get through medical school! :D

lol.

wikipedia rocks. I wouldn't use it and FA for board prep, but It sure is helping me get through medical school! :D

All it takes is one false or misguided entry and you will stop praising it. Because it can be edited by the public it pretty frequently contains major errors. It made the news this past year because comedian Sinbad was repeatedly reported dead on there, much to his surprise when he started receiving calls from friends/family inquiring about the funeral.

Members don't see this ad :)
All it takes is one false or misguided entry and you will stop praising it. Because it can be edited by the public it pretty frequently contains major errors. It made the news this past year because comedian Sinbad was repeatedly reported dead on there, much to his surprise when he started receiving calls from friends/family inquiring about the funeral.

thanks for stating what everyone already knows :rolleyes:

wikipedia has errors, huh? well, that's too bad since all the other Step 1 resources have NO errors, right :rolleyes:

been to the FA errata page yet bro??? :rolleyes:

go back to law school :thumbdown:

wikipedia has errors, huh? well, that's too bad since all the other Step 1 resources have NO errors, right :rolleyes:

For how long are you planning to prepare for the exam? I guess wikipedia has a lot of info it's just not organized enough for the type of review you have to do for step 1, but if it works for you, then great. Also, if you do memorize FA and you understand the concepts then hopefully you will be fine.

For how long are you planning to prepare for the exam? I guess wikipedia has a lot of info it's just not organized enough for the type of review you have to do for step 1, but if it works for you, then great. Also, if you do memorize FA and you understand the concepts then hopefully you will be fine.

you see... that's the thing; i understand FA, but every once in a while I'll come across something i don't remember so i'll use wiki to jog my memory. imo, it's working quite well. again, i only care about passing this muthafu.cka; that's it... lol

I didn't think you were a troll... my study strategy also involves heavy Wikipedia use. The extra random facts included in wiki are just what I need sometimes to help me remember the important stuff-esp articles that include what movie or TV show the drug/disease was mentioned in, I find that VERY helpful.

my original study plan included a long list of books, but 1 week to go and I wish that I'd stuck to FA, Qbank, and CMMRS from the start, with Wiki backup. 186 here I come!

There's a difference between errors and blatent misinformation. By definition a resource that ANYONE can log on and add to or change is going to be of more questionable accuracy. With First Aid we know the source. With Wiki it could be just some bored high schooler who wants to mess with you.

Dr Sybian,

Please keep the discourse in this thread civil and on topic, there is no need for the unprofessional responses and sarcasm in this forum. Please respond in accordance with the decorum you'd afford other professionals.

Jayne

There's a difference between errors and blatent misinformation. By definition a resource that ANYONE can log on and add to or change is going to be of more questionable accuracy. With First Aid we know the source. With Wiki it could be just some bored high schooler who wants to mess with you.

whatever

wikipedia owns and u know it :cool: :smuggrin: :sleep: :sleep: :p :cool: :p :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

whatever

wikipedia owns and u know it :cool: :smuggrin: :sleep: :sleep: :p :cool: :p :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Dr Sybian,

Please keep the discourse in this thread civil and on topic, there is no need for the unprofessional responses and sarcasm in this forum. Please respond in accordance with the decorum you'd afford other professionals.

Jayne

I'm not trying to take any sides here, but I just wanted to add that I read a study somewhere that they intentionally inserted false information onto Wikipedia. All of the incorrect info was corrected in less than 3 hours. I don't know if this has much significance but I thought I'd share. Peace and best of luck to everyone. :thumbup:

Dr Sybian,

Jayne

thx for the generic respone cobblestone :rolleyes: :cool: :thumbdown:

I'm not trying to take any sides here, but I just wanted to add that I read a study somewhere that they intentionally inserted false information onto Wikipedia. All of the incorrect info was corrected in less than 3 hours. I don't know if this has much significance but I thought I'd share. Peace and best of luck to everyone. :thumbup:

Well if you read the articles about the Sinbad fiasco a few months back, you will see that intentionally false info about his demise was repeatedly reedited such that misinformation persisted until they closed the entry to further editing, after receipt of numerous emails, a day later. So if people can keep an error on a high traffic portion of the encyclopedia for a day imagine how long stuff can stay unnoticed on an appreciably lower traffic area (like medical basic science). I'm just saying...

Well if you read the articles about the Sinbad fiasco a few months back, you will see that intentionally false info about his demise was repeatedly reedited such that misinformation persisted until they closed the entry to further editing, after receipt of numerous emails, a day later. So if people can keep an error on a high traffic portion of the encyclopedia for a day imagine how long stuff can stay unnoticed on an appreciably lower traffic area (like medical basic science). I'm just saying...

I think wikipedia is pretty damn good for a quick reference. I saw Sturge-Weber syndrome in one of my review books and couldn't remember it. I looked it up in wikipedia in 10 seconds and there it is, symptoms, treatment, prognosis, and if you think it's false, then there are a half-dozen external links to emedicine, NINDS, Sturge-Weber foundation, etc.

like any encyclopedia, these kind of places are good as a starting point, when you're trying to find references. sometimes it's hard to know where to look about very specific information (although most stuff is available via the lange website/access medicine/textbooks online, up to date, emedicine or if you're really stuck, pubmed for a good review article)

Perhaps bored high schoolers are more interested in messing with Sinbad than rare diseases though?

Status
Not open for further replies.