Anyone received invites for psych interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Keep up the thread and congrats on everyone's great interviews!

Let's see.. So far I've gotten:

Penn
Einstein
NYU
Stanford
UIUC
Yale
Duke
Pitt
Hopkins
Univ of Roch
UNC
Wash U
Emory
MGH/Mclane
Columbia

Waiting for:

UCSF (did do the supplement, but a bit late)
UCLA
Cornell
Longwood

^^ Did anyone hear from UCSF or UCLA yet? And if UCSF, was it that Freemont program or the SF one?

App is complete -- but without Dean's letter.

Hey, does anyone know when its best to interview? Beginning? end? I'm probably only going to interview at like 6 or 7 programs.. but its always tricky to figure out when to!

Alright peeps! Good luck and enjoy the interviews :) Its so nice to be applying to something (FINALLY) that's not rediculously competitive!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by freespirit_md

^^ Did anyone hear from UCSF or UCLA yet? And if UCSF, was it that Freemont program or the SF one?

App is complete -- but without Dean's letter.

Hey, does anyone know when its best to interview? Beginning? end? I'm probably only going to interview at like 6 or 7 programs.. but its always tricky to figure out when to!

people have heard from UCSF but not UCLA.

I am going to the interviews early.

Heard from them by e-mail today regarding an interview.......

anyone heard from............

Portland, OR
Springfield, IL
Sioux Falls, SD
Fargo, ND
Mayo, Rochester, MN
Univ. S. Florida, Tampa, FL

Thanks......

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a stanford invite today (email).

I have been invited to interview at these places:

St. Vincent's (Manhattan)
Cornell
Columbia
Mount Sinai
Einstein (Montefiore)
Einstein (LIJ)
Johns Hopkins
Yale
Emory
UCSF
Stanford
University of Virginia
UNC - Chapel Hill
Maine Medical Center

But I haven't heard from NYU, and that's where I want to go!

Heh -- Basma-Naaba, I'll trade you NYU for UCSF!

The main impression I'm getting from this thread is that who gets interviews where appears to be a mostly random process. Does anyone else get the feeling that rhyme and reason are concepts foreign to these interview-granting entities?

Oh, and I've just heard....UCSF is already limiting the interviews it grants, as it's running out of interview slots. They'll still be giving out some, but it'll take longer to hear at this point.

it does seem rather random.........i'm sure that some of it has to do with first come first serve on the application thing. But with such a presumed "shortage" of psychiatrists, I was surprised to actually get a rejection letter late last week from Univ. of Iowa. And there are about five programs that I haven't heard from at all -- see my above post -- most of them are not in places that I would have considered competitive (with the exception of Tampa), so I am surprised to have heard nothing.

I have 10 interviews scheduled, and I can probably fit in 2-3 more if the dates are just right, but I am wondering what these programs are waiting for -- my file is complete except Dean's letter -- seems strange that they would be waiting for this. What do you guys think?

This actually is going a lot slower than I expected, I mean I don't have great numbers but I thought that wasn't as important for a US grad in psych. Out of the 17 places to which I applied, I've only heard from 7 so far. During my meeting with the program director at my most recent interview, he sounded surprised that some programs would wait for a dean's letter, saying, "You can get a pretty good idea about an applicant without a dean's letter." Maybe this is just an "up" year for psych programs; as the shift towards lifestyle-oriented specialties continues perhaps psych is no exception.

Originally posted by rxg16
This actually is going a lot slower than I expected, I mean I don't have great numbers but I thought that wasn't as important for a US grad in psych. Out of the 17 places to which I applied, I've only heard from 7 so far. During my meeting with the program director at my most recent interview, he sounded surprised that some programs would wait for a dean's letter, saying, "You can get a pretty good idea about an applicant without a dean's letter." Maybe this is just an "up" year for psych programs; as the shift towards lifestyle-oriented specialties continues perhaps psych is no exception.

to counter leaf's offer, I will trade NYU for basma-naaba's columbia!!!! :D if not, we can talk more about each school's trade value.....

yeah, are some programs waiting for dean's letter to come on? and is this year an "up" year??

Yeah, I wonder why things have slowed down. I agree with the randomness of it - I'm waiting on UCSF, NYU... and the places no one's heard from yet. I don't know why they would wait for the Dean's letter either, as I've heard that they are uniformly positive and so don't necessarily say that much more about the applicant.

Regarding the rejections thing... when I was applying to med school, it seemed my numbers were "too good" for some schools, and "not good enough" for others --> hence the rejection letters. Maybe PD's are trying to cut out applicants who would never go there anyway, before all the effort of interviewing the person. In some way, I guess it makes sense. But then, how do they know someone's never gonna go there???

An "up" year? Maybe. I don't know about your schools, but mine has about the same number it has every year...

Actually..

I heard from a Program Director at a "large" program down South. that they had received "many more" applications than they had in prior years. As a result they were "adding more interview" days.

So perhaps its an up year. But hey, its still Pscyh :)

do you mind telling me which program it was "down South"?

Thanks.

Originally posted by willow212
But then, how do they know someone's never gonna go there???

Exactly. There's one program that probably thinks I'd never go there, as my record suggests I've never done anything remotely close to that geographic region, but my parents have moved to that area, which is why I applied in the first place.

One thing I'm noticing about the pace at which interviews are granted is how completely random it is. There's one place I heard from a while ago that someone else on this thread heard from just within the last few days, but that person has an interview at a place I'm really interested in but haven't heard from. And that has happened with a number of other places.

And meanwhile, a question for freespirit_md: You've listed 19 places but are interviewing at 6 or 7, you said. How are you deciding where to interview? Just wondering because I still haven't figured out how to whittle down the list without seeing programs. My advisor had me list more than a dozen programs where she thought I could get interviews, then told me I could cut down later, but she didn't give me any guidance on picking the programs where I interview to make sure I have enough of a range of programs to ensure that I get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pittsburgh invited me today.

Well..

It's not exactly easy, but I think we tend to over apply to programs because we don't know initially how competitive we're going to be.. right? But I don't think we ever will and such is life -- It looks like these programs interview just about anyone -- albeit randomly :)

For example, I know that I want to end up in the Northeast. But not at the expense of going to a lower-end program than if I was to travel to the west coast. But, if I feel reasonably confident that I'll get a fairly good program in my target region, then I'm going to interview at all the top programs in this region, one or two tops in a few other "acceptable" regions. And a safety too boot. That comes out to about 6 or 7 places.

Not an exact science. but hey.. what else can you do?

It is crazy though -- like Asher just got Pitt today, but I got Pitt like weeks ago and go t invited for there special "2 day" interview events. MANY people have gotten Cornell -- but me, no. (and I want to check that proggie out.. ) But I've gotten MGH, NYU, Columbia amongst other places you'd think are just as competitive. Go figure. It reminds me of the day of medical school admissions hehehe.

But back then we couldn't tell them to shove our amcas like we can tell them to shove our eras if they irritate us :)

FSM

Stanford last Friday
Pitt today
Ohio State, Michigan, Rochester, Texas A&M Scott&White on Monday

Still no NYU or Mt Sinai, though

I think this is all really random.

Has anyone else gotten the "special 2 day interview" from Pitt? I never heard of that:(

Anyone know anything about the following programs: Arkansas, UTSW, Michigan, Ohio State, Rochester?

Thanks for your help!!:clap:

Rochester.. you mean Univ. of Rochester? Well, word on the street is that it's up and coming, but small and overall pretty average. Rochester, NY kinda bites. Last year they had 3 of their 5 slots (or somethign like that atleast) unfilled . Rumor has it that they won't put ******s in inorder to fill their slots, ie, they'd rather let them be open. They do recruit pretty hard.. so I see at least.

RE: Pitt 2 day thing. Well, don't fret, I'm sure that this is pretty random as well. Just like everything else is. I have a feeling that they gave out the 2 days earlier on and now ran out hehehehe.. kinda like walmart.

WHATEVER. look at the math. There are 900 slots or so.. and about 750 applicants (right?). There is a 35-40% FMG fill rate on these slots. If you are US, I think you get a slight edge.

VERY few studnets from the top tier MD schools actually apply to Psych. (Why, I don't know.. I'm one of them, but I don't know why my classmates are so averse to it. Kinda funny watching them all sweat.)

Thus, look at it this way, all the TOP TOP TOP programs have at least 15 or so slots (my numbers may be off.. I'm not too worried about it though.) So that means that there are probably about 200 very desireable slots out there.

****, is it just me? Or have we ALL faced much MUCH tighter odds in the past? This is comparitively a walk in the park.

Now, of course, if you are an FMG with poor scores, you'll still make it, but its probably not as "easy" a process.

Anyhow, just my 2 cents. And I honestly hope each and everyone of us gets what we want this year... because I know its possible!

FSM

Thanks for the reply about picking interview places, freespirit_md!

I just heard from Pitt and am scheduled for a two-day thing. I don't know how they decide this at all. But just to add support to the randomness factor...in complete contrast to freespirit_md, I heard from Cornell basically two days after I applied, heard from Pitt today, and haven't heard anything from MGH.

The idea that there are hundreds of places at desirable programs is reassuring, though.

As for interview scheduling, I was told that as long as you don't make your top places your first interview, you should be OK. I'm not that sure that interviewing early v. late makes that much of a difference aside from your own inexperience/fatigue, particularly as I'm starting to see programs offering slots anywhere from November to January (sometimes all three months from the same program in the same invite).

Freespirit_md, I was thinking along your lines when I selected schools to apply to -- that there were relatively a large number of slots at competitive programs compared to applicants. I figured that if I applied to enough of them that I would get an interview at a few. It helps that I'm not really going into this whole process with the idea that I would be happiest at the most competitive programs (location plays a big role in that). At this point, I'm very satisfied with how things have gone. It would be nice to get an invitation at one of the Harvard programs but realistically I don't knw if I would be a good fit so if I don't get one I'll be okay with it.

As for scheduling interviews, I pretty much started scheduling the first invites in November with the exception of a few in the same geographical region in December. In late January I've scheduled a few of the programs that I don't think I would fit in with as well. If things go well on the interview trail, I'll cancel them; if not, I'll still have my options open.

I do not think that schools have 20 residents a year... probably more along the line of 8 to 12.

with so few spots and fewer people interviewed, it is bound to be more random....

Harvard, shmarvard.. :)

Hey, I got an interview at MGH and I may not even go.. for what its worth. They're so arrogant. Gawd.. please. Plenty of good proggies out there Asher.

Don't even sweat it. :)

Now Columbia.. that's my top so far. Anyone heard anything re: interview format, etc.. on that place? It's mainly my top choice because I'm single --and, well NYC, is well, NYC.

And I've had enough Boston for the next four years at least :)

But as a general rule of thumb, I do think that limiting by geographic area is not a bad idea. Psych has good programs everywhere.

And whose ever going to say "oh, Columbia.. that's not Harvard though..." hehehehehe Cracks me up. Forgive me. I've done my undergrad and medical school in the Ivy's -- and I'm really starting to realize that it never really mattered...

FSM

:eek: My dean's letter has been uploaded!

I think I was better off not knowing this.

*sits on edge of chair, biting nails*

leaf, you're right. My dean's letter is up too. I think that's a good thing. Maybe things will start moving! (Even if it's a rejection, I'd rather know early and get my schedule straightened out...)

Yeah, mine's uploaded too .. at last.

But hey, no program can download it until Nov. 1. but that's just a few days away!

FSM

They can't download the letter until the 1st? I didn't realize that....too bad.

But anyway, apparently Longwood has started calling people.

Longwood .. I hear from a buddy doing another residency at Harvard.. sucks. But not a bad option if you want the so-called "H-bomb" in your pedigree. (I've already voiced my opinion on this pedigree nonsense though..)

FSM

FSM -- I'd be curious to hear what your friend thought of Longwood. I don't feel any compelling need at this point to do a Harvard residency just for resume reasons, but several things are making me think seriously about Longwood. I'd heard from a couple of other people that they had really liked Longwood when they interviewed there and thought seriously about it as a second choice. For me, it apparently matches some of my interests as well. And while I can understand that Boston isn't everyone's cup of tea, I do like the city, and in fact a number of my classmates applying in psych are seriously thinking about various ones of the Harvard programs because they want to be in the city. But I've been warned about the facilities at the Longwood program, as well as the commute between sites. And this talk about funding issues, inpatient issues, etc. is making me a little concerned. So if you have more direct info on this, it would be great if you could pass it along!

And yeah, I'd also heard about the attitude at MGH. According to someone I know who interviewed there, their attitude was practically, "Convince us that you should be allowed to come here," instead of, "Let us tell you why you'd love it here." It doesn't make me feel too kindly about the program in advance.

yeah, MGH tends to be the only arrogant Psych program arround. Kinda annoying. Really. Let them drink their own cool-aid (or was it.. bath water LOL!)

RE: Longwood. I don't know much about it, but I will ask my buddy for more details and post back. in short, he said something about them being "gimps" that show up at the Brigham when they need consults :) One of the benefits to places like McLean, Columbia, UCLA is that they have their own dedicated Pscyh Hospitals -- so you can get bettter exposures there.

Depends what you are looking for though. I actually liked boston. Spent the last three years there. I'm just ready for adifferent vantage point. And NYC is more my speed. Believe it or not, Philadelphia is an awesome city too! And UPenn is a crazy good program.

FSM

Brown, by e-mail today - they said they have received a lot of applications this year. Maybe psych apps are up this year.

I also heard from Brown via e-mail yesterday as well as MUSC (Charleston, SC).

Looks like my dean's letter has been uploaded by my school, so that is interesting, since November 1st isn't until tomorrow. Is there a way to read your Dean's letter via ERAS, or does one have to request a copy from the school?

This is a true story I heard from a friend who is and MD, PhD from a good state school, now a psych intern at Columbia:

When she went for one of her MGH interviews, the first thing the interviewer said, looking over her application, was, "Well, you've done about as well as someone from the U of X could do."

Harvard is the most arrogant institution on the planet.

I had a similar experience interviewing there for a previous degree-- the whole attitude was, OF COURSE you want to come here, but why should we care?

I didn't even apply.

Yeah, Harvard is funny like that. None of the other Ivy's (except maybe Columbia, but probably not their Psych dept) have this issue! To the contrary -- they tend to NOT have an attitude and open their arms in a spirit of genuine meritocracy. Freakin' harvard.. Well, we're better than that -- so I declare today:

"...may they be judged not for name or fame but may they be judged only for the merits of their program.."

hehehe

Oh.. I asked my buddy about longwood lastnight. He confrimed that it is "not all that" but depends on what you want. It's a program taught at Faulkner Hospital, Brigham & Woman's Hospital, Beth Israel and perhaps Mass Mental. So here's the scoop -- Brigham SHUT down their inpatient ward because of financial reasons. He doesn't think Mass Mental does any inpatient anymore -- just an outpatient (albeit a large one) clinic. And BI is considering closing (this is what he hears in departmental meetings and what not) their inpatient psych ward as well for monetary reasons. Apparently faulkner has a dinky lil 15 bed inpatient ward.

So caveat emptor, you've been warned. Its a fine program, just don't get caught at a program that can't provide you with inpatient experiences.. cause that would be like being an internist who didn't train in a hospital LOL!

FSM

Yes, Columbia is the one other Ivy that has an attitude problem in my experience too. And I think it *does* extend to the psych department, though in a less extreme/offensive way than the med school per se.

Does anyone know ANYTHING about George Washington U or Georgetown for psychiatry?

UNC (literally 10 hours after I added them to my list -- yeah that one was a very late add on), and Rush (regular mail).

1) FSM -- Thanks for the info on Longwood! I had no idea the inpatient situation would be so bad; that's definitely a big strike against the program. Too bad...

2) Prwunecom -- Your school doesn't let you read the dean's letter? I don't believe you can read it on ERAS, but I thought most places let students read the letter routinely, so I'm sure it's worth a try to ask.

3) Doc_GMD -- Someone I know who's now a resident at UCSF said that he really liked George Washington. Apparently the choice for him came down to GWU or one of the West Coast schools. I'd be curious to know what experience you had that turned you off Columbia, BTW. Not the residents, certainly? Because from everything I've heard, they're all very nice and friendly and happy.

4) Does anyone know if the MGH/McLean program lets you match now for a PGY2 spot and do a prelim year elsewhere? Not that we've been hearing great things about the place :), but I'm just trying to cover all my bases.

I have had to reschedule a couple of interviews lately, and I wanted some opinions about rescheduling. Is this a bad thing to do, or do you think the program coordinators expect this sort of thing? :confused:

I think they expect it........not to worry

Has anyone heard from Harvard Southshore?

Does anyone know anything about the program?

Anymore interviews? I turned in my application late, so I'm still waiting for a lot of programs to reply.

hey, it does seem that more people are posting on the psych forum than last year. so maybe people are really more interested in psych than before (or at least compared to last year)??? I still remember people were literally begging others to post to get info on various programs!

Longwood today by phone. Brown sometime last week by e-mail.

Anyone heard from UCLA?

Could be.. [that psych is more popular]

Or that everyone is copying me ;) But I am not that narcisstic hehehehe

Actually I do think the interest is returning. It's just a great, straightforward, good hours, really good pay (for the number of hours & stress load that is), profession eh?

But I guess that's talk for another thread.

Oh.. I just got Washington University today via email.

Hey, no word just yet on Cornell..

How about UCLA? Anyone hear yet?

FSm

I've heard from a few places in the past week, but all of these places have been posted elsewhere on this thread, so there's nowhere new I have to add. (Except for one from a prelim program, though that too is a topic for a different thread.) So much for our hope that things would start rolling once the dean's letters were uploaded!

No word from UCLA here either, nor from Cambridge. Those are the two main places I'd like to hear from at this point.

And yeah, someone on a residency selection committee told me yesterday that applications have been up over the last three years, for what that's worth.

And to seriously jump the gun....are people planning on doing second looks? I'm wondering if I should leave time for them as I schedule.

[EDITED TO ADD: FSm, I've heard that as of next week, if you're still waiting to hear from places that you're extremely interested in, it's OK to contact them and let them know you'll be in the area on a certain date and would really like to interview there.]

Finally!

Got Cornell and the Univ. of Washington. I was beginning to panic!

That's good to know.. Cornell is still handin' them out then :)

Cummon big money :clap:

I got a call from Longwood yesterday.

Heard from Harvard Southshore today by email.

Anyone heard from George Washington or UC Davis?