-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Anyone received invites for psych interviews?
Started by prwunecom
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
UCLA.. just now via email :0)
Okay.. only cornell to go 🙂
Longwood can bite me. 😎
FSM
Okay.. only cornell to go 🙂
Longwood can bite me. 😎
FSM
Originally posted by doctor4ever
Girlie,
I heard from Harvard Southshore today too. But I'm not too sure about this one. I can't even find a website for it. Have you heard anything about them?
My residency advisor didn't recommend applying to Southshore. I've heard it's a small program, friendly to IMG's. Don't know anything recent about it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got an invite from UCLA but for some odd reason, I did not get an e-mail from them. I only saw it on the message board of ERAS. I have stopped checking ERAS frequently about 1 month ago (only check it once every week or so). I was a little surprised....
Message board for ERAS? What on earth are you talking about?
FSM
FSM
Leaf-- I don't want to say anything bad about Columbia, really, as I agree with you, the residents are super happy there and it really is a friendly and stimulating place. It's just that it did seem to me nonetheless to have a sort of smug "we're the best" undertone even while being nice and not nearly so offensively snobby as Harvard can be.
My attending was very assertive when I asked for advice about NY schools in her claim that Columbia was by far the best, and I thought she was too quickly dismissive about my concerns regarding the narrower range of patients one sees there compared to, say, NYU. On the other hand, that may reflect more her own personality than the department's.
And to some extent also my comments reflect my own sensitivity on this issue (arrogance) and current mental state of being pretty sick of elite research institutions... I'm looking for a very clinically strong, real, hands-on type place, kinda fed up with being in places where academic research is dominant.
Also, thanks for your input about GWU!!
My attending was very assertive when I asked for advice about NY schools in her claim that Columbia was by far the best, and I thought she was too quickly dismissive about my concerns regarding the narrower range of patients one sees there compared to, say, NYU. On the other hand, that may reflect more her own personality than the department's.
And to some extent also my comments reflect my own sensitivity on this issue (arrogance) and current mental state of being pretty sick of elite research institutions... I'm looking for a very clinically strong, real, hands-on type place, kinda fed up with being in places where academic research is dominant.
Also, thanks for your input about GWU!!
Other than UCLA, anyone heard from the other California schools ie. UCSD, UCSF, UCI? Thanks.
Rich
Rich
longwood via telephone 🙂..
RE: Cali schools -- people have heard from UCLA, UCSF & Stanford so far.
UCLA is just starting as of a few days ago. UCSF started a while ago.. still haven't heard from them. Stanford started a while ago as well..
FSM
RE: Cali schools -- people have heard from UCLA, UCSF & Stanford so far.
UCLA is just starting as of a few days ago. UCSF started a while ago.. still haven't heard from them. Stanford started a while ago as well..
FSM
Originally posted by freespirit_md
Message board for ERAS? What on earth are you talking about?
FSM
Your personal message center which you can check after you log into your ERAS account.
Yeah.. i just figured it out. Nice backup in case your email bounces to the program ..
FSM
FSM
Originally posted by willow212
Heard from BU by e-mail on 10/20 and Dartmouth by snail mail (with a very nice personalized letter from the res director) on 10/21.
Does anyone have a sense of which programs routinely send out personalized e-mails or notes from training directors? Thanks in advance!
Baylor, Emory, and UAMS sent personalized letters
It's amazing how one or two lines in a letter can make such an impact.
It's amazing how one or two lines in a letter can make such an impact.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mayo? I don't recall seeing it mentioned on the thread, but it seems awfully late......
I had a personal phone call from Univ. of South Dakota last week from the residency director. I really would have liked to have gone to that interview, but unfortunately he called so late, I am already booked up with nowhere to put anymore......not to mention the cost of flights if I book this late!
I had a personal phone call from Univ. of South Dakota last week from the residency director. I really would have liked to have gone to that interview, but unfortunately he called so late, I am already booked up with nowhere to put anymore......not to mention the cost of flights if I book this late!
Originally posted by willow212
My residency advisor didn't recommend applying to Southshore. I've heard it's a small program, friendly to IMG's. Don't know anything recent about it.
I don't know enough about them but I gathered from my own experience and from others that they are snobby and rude.
When I had an interview with them the residency director told me point blank that they were not impressed with me. I also heard from someone that during an interview a faculty member actually put her feet up on her desk.
So I don't think they are very "impressive", at least not in character (however I may be biased.)
Originally posted by GoodFriend
I don't know enough about them but I gathered from my own experience and from others that they are snobby and rude.
When I had an interview with them the residency director told me point blank that they were not impressed with me. I also heard from someone that during an interview a faculty member actually put her feet up on her desk.
So I don't think they are very "impressive", at least not in character (however I may be biased.)
that's odd... before this thread, I did not even know that harvard has southshore program.
So the list of harvard-affiliated programs includes MGH/McLean, Longwood, Cambridge and Southshore. It just sounds that everyone is trying to put the name, Harvard, in somewhere 😛
received Oregon yesterday
Got UCSF over the weekend via Telephone call...
Cornell Pending -- tried to call.. but their coordinator is "out" till the 24th. So we can probably NOT expect to hear from them until then 🙂
FSM
Cornell Pending -- tried to call.. but their coordinator is "out" till the 24th. So we can probably NOT expect to hear from them until then 🙂
FSM
uh.. they called.
Heard from MGH/McLean today. They only offered 3 more dates Jan 20-21, Jan 27-28 and Feb 3-4 (basically tues and weds on consecutive weeks). So it appears that they are winding down.
I still have yet to hear from Columbia and Cornell. oh well.....
I still have yet to hear from Columbia and Cornell. oh well.....
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
heard from northwestern more than 6 weeks ago. don't know if others have heard from northwestern recently.
I also wanted to say that I find it obnoxious if programs don't contact you if they're not going to interview you. They hand out rejection letters in all other fields. I'd rather hear something than nothing, since I paid good money to apply.
For interview feedback, check out amsa's site -- if you are a member you can help the rest of us out by posting a review of the programs you have already interviewed with.
I got my rejection email from MGH a week ago. It was actually a relief because I don't think I would have fit in there and after a few interviews I've had geographical location has become more important to me than I thought it would. I've visited a few places that while they were great programs would have been the wrong place for me and I've started to thin the rest of my interview schedule out. I've cancelled my interviews with Maryland, UVA, Columbia, Stanford, UCSD, and Chicago and have about three others I'm likely to drop.
I got my rejection email from MGH a week ago. It was actually a relief because I don't think I would have fit in there and after a few interviews I've had geographical location has become more important to me than I thought it would. I've visited a few places that while they were great programs would have been the wrong place for me and I've started to thin the rest of my interview schedule out. I've cancelled my interviews with Maryland, UVA, Columbia, Stanford, UCSD, and Chicago and have about three others I'm likely to drop.
Originally posted by Asher
I just got through cancelling interviews with Longwood, Pittsburgh, Cornell, and Stanford.
what geographical region do you prefer then? Not Cali? Not Northeast?
Are you Guys still receiving new invitations?
I haven't recieved any new ones for weeks now. I am wondering whether we can still realistically expect more or the invitation time is largely over.
Thanks,
GoodFriend
I haven't recieved any new ones for weeks now. I am wondering whether we can still realistically expect more or the invitation time is largely over.
Thanks,
GoodFriend
Cedars-Sinai is still evaluating applications and has not sent interview invites. I have heard of programs sending out invites in December. The PD at my school has commented that this is a "competitive year" and that applications are up.
Originally posted by PsychNOS
Cedars-Sinai is still evaluating applications and has not sent interview invites. I have heard of programs sending out invites in December. The PD at my school has commented that this is a "competitive year" and that applications are up.
psych becoming more competitive is always a good thing. However, I don't think that it is THAT competitive yet so any US med school grad should still get very good residency spots.
I am out of luck then... I am an IMG.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by Thewonderer
psych becoming more competitive is always a good thing. However, I don't think that it is THAT competitive yet so any US med school grad should still get very good residency spots.
Yeah, I agree that psych isn't competitive to match into in general. However the top academic programs are difficult to match into and are getting more so.
Good Friend, I wouldn't worry so much. Unless you plan on going to Columbia, UCLA, or MGH/McLean, I wouldn't worry about the match. You'll get a spot at a good place.😀
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 717
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 4K
- Replies
- 6
- Views
- 941
