Anyone Rejecting MCPHS-Worcester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliRx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here is going to be rejecting MCPHS-Worcester? I am on the waitlist there and just wanted to get some idea. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Although I have paid the $750 deposit, I might be rejecting them to attend UCSF. Good luck.:)

Although I have paid the $750 deposit, I might be rejecting them to attend UCSF. Good luck.:)
Wish I had done that 2 years ago when I was deciding between these same 2 schools. I recommend UCSF; good luck with your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone here is going to be rejecting MCPHS-Worcester? I am on the waitlist there and just wanted to get some idea. Thanks.

What are you stats calirx?

I just got another letter from mcphs today and they sent me a revised worksheet which states I have a pre-pharm GPA of 3.44 and math &sci gpa of 3.26. I know its not that good ...

I "rejected" MCP Owrcester a long time along way back in March already

DrugDealer, thanks for your advice. Just curious, did you choose MCPHS-Worcester over UCSF? If so why and do you regret your decision.

I just got another letter from mcphs today and they sent me a revised worksheet which states I have a pre-pharm GPA of 3.44 and math &sci gpa of 3.26. I know its not that good ...

Hey did you send in an updated transcript. so did your GPA increase much because it's pretty ok are you on the waitlist?

Hey did you send in an updated transcript. so did your GPA increase much because it's pretty ok are you on the waitlist?

Yes I sent in my updated transcript. My GPA didn't increase much even though i got all Az last quarter. But since none of them were pre-pharm courses it didn't effect my gpa much.

DrugDealer, thanks for your advice. Just curious, did you choose MCPHS-Worcester over UCSF? If so why and do you regret your decision.
I applied mainly to 3 year schools, plus UCSF and LIU-Brooklyn. I wanted to be done in 3 years. I'm older, I have been to grad school before, I have worked lots of odd jobs, I just wanted to be done and finished as soon as possible. I am very smart and did not think a 3 year program would be any problem for me. In some ways, it's not--I do well on the tests, I participate in class discussions more than many of my classmates because I actually find the time to do the required reading the night before class, etc. But, my long-term retention of all this material is very poor just because we do not have the repetition and repeated exposure to this info that I think you would get at a 4 year school. I feel we do not get a lot of integration of all our classes and all the topics we learned previously to help create the "big picture." We have to do a lot of this on our own, and it's very hard to do that plus keep up with all the current work.

I would have loved to have moved back to San Francisco, but sometimes wonder how much studying I would have done there because I love the city so much--maybe I would have been out playing all the time and would have flunked out. Who knows. At least in Worcester, there is absolutely nothing to do but study, so that is a positive aspect of the school. I also thought I would have time to go to Boston and explore a new city, but I have been like twice in almost 2 years. The weekends that I have free, I head to NYC. Why waste time with Boston when NY is exactly 3 hours away, door-to-door? That's another positive aspect of MCP, even though it has nothing to do with school. But I digress and ramble....

MCP has been discussed many times. Here is a particulary good thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=380319. And, use the search feature to search for threads with MCPHS or Worcester in their title (don't search the entire threads, just the titles.)

Bottom line: MCP is a really bad school--poorly run (although your interview makes it seem polished and professional); many of the professors are straight out of school and don't know the material they teach; and many of the students are really young, whiny babies that complain about the stupidest stuff in class. This arises because the admissions criteria are not strict enough and they will let just anyone in. I cannot beleive I was crazy enough to turn down UCSF to come here. I need to be shot in the head.

I was also looking at MCPHS because it is a three year program, I have a master's degree, and 27 years old. Wow. I am definitely rejecting MCPHS. I will be crazy to choose MCPHS over UCSF. I guess if I am going to spend over $150,000 to attend pharmacy school, I may as well go to the best school.

Thanks for making my deicison alot easier. Thanks again for your advice, DrugDealer. It is very much appreciated.

I don't get it. Is mcphs really that bad? I mean I read the other thread and all of the negative things it talks about. On top of that I know 5 alumni from mcphs who have advised me not to even waste my money by applying there. What is bad about this school other then the fact it’s crowded and has competition?

Drug dealer, followed your link, So school is hard in grading system! You seem to be a bright student too. But first, is everybody working towards GPA or being a good pharmacist. If want to be good pharmacist stop thinking about gpa and know drugs better and work on personality to be a better pharmacist and keep passing your classes. who was that? touris71? I bet she must have passed the course she was talking about. What is her frustation on? because she lost her A in the course?
:confused:

Drug dealer, followed your link, So school is hard in grading system! You seem to be a bright student too. But first, is everybody working towards GPA or being a good pharmacist. If want to be good pharmacist stop thinking about gpa and know drugs better and work on personality to be a better pharmacist and keep passing your classes. who was that? touris71? I bet she must have passed the course she was talking about. What is her frustation on? because she lost her A in the course?

Hi,

I see you are a new member--welcome. I have just a few comments for you about your last two posts (both in reference to MCPHS). I will be attending MCPHS in 2007 and have been actively posting since February.

No offense, but I personally find your posts to be quite rash (and they're not even about me). You tend to be singling out individuals and lashing out. Little do we know, there could be some sort of underlying circumstances as to why individuals are having difficulties. We all can get defensive at times, but remember we are all entitled to our own opinions--regardless of how naive, unimportant, or stupid. :D

In my opinion, we should be keeping our comments to a tone of a discussion rather than an argument.

Tip to the wise: Attempt some constructive criticism before singling out an individual. Remember, you always catch more flies with honey than s**t.

-PmP

But first, is everybody working towards GPA or being a good pharmacist. If want to be good pharmacist stop thinking about gpa and know drugs better and work on personality to be a better pharmacist and keep passing your classes. who was that? touris71? I bet she must have passed the course she was talking about. What is her frustation on? because she lost her A in the course?
I agree that we should focus on being good pharmacists instead of getting A's. Just because you can memorize knit-picky details to get an A does not mean you will be a better pharmacist than the student who gets a C but understands the big picture, can relate to the patients, can effectively communicate with doctors, etc. BUT, it is very hard to get into that mindset when you are accustomed to getting straight A's in traditional lecture (aka spoon-feeding) style courses. I think that it has just taken my class a while to adjust to this new reality and priority.

hii.. i have rejected mcphs to attend temple u in philadelphia.. i actually based my decision on the students i talked to.. the students that went to temple adored it and loved everything about the school, professors, even philadelphia.. the people that went to mcphs were either on the fence as to if it was a good school or downright said it sucks.. i hope i made the right decision.. temple is an extra year but hopefully it will fly :)

Thanks everyone but I recieved the bad news yesterday. I got rejected from mcphs:(. Well, I guess next year. Good Luck to everyone else who got in and congrats!

Thanks everyone but I recieved the bad news yesterday. I got rejected from mcphs:(. Well, I guess next year. Good Luck to everyone else who got in and congrats!

Geez i'm sorry. i thought they don't send rejection letters until way into summer. When did you have your interview by the way? I hope not to receive a letter soon too, but if in any case next year it is...

Thats the thing, I was never interviewed and the counselor kept telling me that I was on the same waitlist as the ppl who had been interviewed. It was all really confusing. But I guess that letter did clarify a lot of stuff. Good luck with your waitlist status.