Anyone retaking NDB part1 to improve scores....??!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi all,i am retaking part1 too...have started prep ..though extremely slow.wanted to share my experience...had taken CBT...unfortunately the computer had freezed towards the end of the exam when i had about 40 mins left...by the time the prometric center supervisor got to changing computers things did not work and the time ran out...so in a nutshell i lost time couldnt finish the paper..rather check mistakes...so that could happen..this was the worst nightmare which came true..i ended up with a 82...hope to do better...still i will go for CBT...hoping that would not repeat with me..or for anyone else...will prob change center..
u do get scratch paper and pencil which u have to return...also u get a break between the morn and afternoon session.... u can go back and forth in the same session...and can mark ur answers to come back only to those in the end...
about the materials..i think the key to a good score is to revise really well...allthe bookss or matrial u use could be overwhelming..if not revised...my 2 cents...
am using decks.,ASDA releases and kaplan a few books for ref.
have to revise...thats the key...
all the best :thumbup: :D ..

Members don't see this ad.

tiyakapoor said:
hey guys..
I am new to this forum.and guessw hat I have my exam day after ie. march 26th.so u can well understand my state.I am all nervous anxious and I remember nothing yes believe me nothing!!!
well I will surely post my experience and the ques. I got in my CBT ( if at all I remember anything!!! :confused: )
till then pray for me guys!!hope Iget a good score
take care
tiya :luck:
hai tiya,
all the best.do well.dont be nervous.be calm.take care.

Hi
Count me in
i'm also intending to retake my exam
i'm preparing the decks, kaplan, and question papers
anyone interested, we can start a discussion group and clear the doubts we come across
reply me

Members don't see this ad :)
Like you don't have the energy to do it again? To spend hours and hours reading those decks? Is it just me? I took Part I almost 4 years ago and I LITERALLY don't remember anything!!!!! What is Babyteeth taking about? Glicolysis? Osmosis? Are those methods to study? Please, Lord help me find strenght!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, I just wanted to release some of my stress and frustation and I guess as I am by myself tonight I decide to bother you all.........sorry :( :( :(

C'mon guys , cheer up... It is not the end of world, you know you will make it this time....the secret is to know you are human beings and -just like me - we all get bored after the first 20 minutes of deep concentration...If that happens just close your eyes count 1000,1001,1002,1004,1005 and think that you are capable of answerin all of the questions correctly IF you can read them with your inner peace... Thinking of a nice memory maybe from your school time can help to cheer you up and don't forget: Don't take this little break too long..Just short enough to replenish your thoughts and up you goooo ...
Good luck for everyone !! We will make it !! Believe !! :luck:

im very upset about this thread coz no one is responding to my msgs or helping me.
this my 3rd post to this thread.
anyways
will be in hope that u guys can help me
bye bye
drmedi

Vrnda said:
Hi All,

This thread is to help all students who are retaking NDBE part 1..
Kindly post valuable suggestions on how we can score better 2nd time around!!! :thumbup:

I would like for all of us to share what we are doing differently this time around to ensure better results. I am studying some topics from textbooks to clear my concepts….

Kindly all of you out there, "retakers".. ..post your suggestions regarding - study materials / review notes that you are using and how different we can all study to improve our scores this time around ..
If you are planning on CBT/ paper based version .,…...
anything goes ..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :D

Please share your study methods, & guidelines or any advice.
Kindly post your thoughts and suggestions and help us retakers to score better and apply for admissions for the following cycle…

Guys….those of who have been accepted to schools, kindly post your suggestions ......
..Help ur fellow SDNers…. :)

All the best :luck:

Thanks
Vrnda

interdenttx said:
hi
all the part 1 retakers . i have kaplan video lectures to understand the subjects like bio chem, physio,anat.let me know if anybody want that
bye
hai,
i want kaplan video lectures.this is my email id [email protected]

Hi,
Those were some great words of encouragement!!
Hope is your preparation is going good :thumbup:
Good luck and keep posting..!!!! :D :luck:
Vrnda

MmeCeline said:
C'mon guys , cheer up... It is not the end of world, you know you will make it this time....the secret is to know you are human beings and -just like me - we all get bored after the first 20 minutes of deep concentration...If that happens just close your eyes count 1000,1001,1002,1004,1005 and think that you are capable of answerin all of the questions correctly IF you can read them with your inner peace... Thinking of a nice memory maybe from your school time can help to cheer you up and don't forget: Don't take this little break too long..Just short enough to replenish your thoughts and up you goooo ...
Good luck for everyone !! We will make it !! Believe !! :luck:

hi guys,
just read this thread. really its a good thread. i m also retaking part 1 probably in july.. as far as written exam my experience was bad. there were very few ques. which were repeated specially anatomy was very tough. and circling the ans. with pencil and if u wanna change the ans it was all hassel.and u see all the ques. at a time so i couldn't concentrate on one que. i think this time i m gonna give CBT.hopefully this will help me offcourse it all depends on prep. let us see what happens. i m refering kaplan, chaurasia for ant. and wheelers , decks, old papers.hope this sufficient.
anyways
all the best to al and wish me luck.
manik

Vrnda said:
Hi Pra 26,

Yes to both the questions...!!!there is a lunch break after first session!
Read up info on ada.org
Good luck ..keep posting!!! :thumbup:
Vrnda

Vrnda,
Thanks for the info!!

THanks!!

Hi All

How is ur preparation going on? . :confused:
.I'm catching up on anatomy...going really slow..
kaplan has lot of chapters covered!!
Keep the updates coming!!! :thumbup:
Thanks
Vrnda :luck:

Hi Guys,

How is everyone's preparation going on? :confused:
It will be great if we all contribute and keep the thread alive!!
Kindly post updates :thumbup:
Vrnda

hey all..
well I took my part 1 CBT on saturday and I must say I am not very happy after that.the sole reason being the physio/biochem part.it was a killer man!I mean I dont know from where did they get those questions.I had atleast never heard of them.anatomy which I was reallt scared of was exceptionally easy.had a lot of repeats from ques.papers.even micro patho was not so tough.but DA was just ok.cant say very simple too.took a lot of time thou.
overall my experience with the CBT was good.the exam was quite relaxed.and I liked the CBT more than paper based.and I would recommend it too.
now i am just keeping my fngers crossed b'cos the result can come anytime in 2 weeks.I hope I just get a decent score.I cant go thru the pain of studying the same subjects all over again.I just spent 4 very long months on them..
wish me luck guys
take care
tiya

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Tiya,
Good luck with your results!!! :thumbup:
Kindly post any questions that you can recall..
it will help all of us ..
Best wishes :luck:
GN

tiyakapoor said:
hey all..
well I took my part 1 CBT on saturday and I must say I am not very happy after that.the sole reason being the physio/biochem part.it was a killer man!I mean I dont know from where did they get those questions.I had atleast never heard of them.anatomy which I was reallt scared of was exceptionally easy.had a lot of repeats from ques.papers.even micro patho was not so tough.but DA was just ok.cant say very simple too.took a lot of time thou.
overall my experience with the CBT was good.the exam was quite relaxed.and I liked the CBT more than paper based.and I would recommend it too.
now i am just keeping my fngers crossed b'cos the result can come anytime in 2 weeks.I hope I just get a decent score.I cant go thru the pain of studying the same subjects all over again.I just spent 4 very long months on them..
wish me luck guys
take care
tiya

Hello Tiya,

Best of luck for your results.......I'm sure you have done great! :thumbup:
Seems biochem is a problem with everyone of us!! :scared:
even babyteeth had posted the same kind of difficulties with biochem paper
If you can recall any questions , please do post.. :confused:
Thanks
Good luck !!
Vrnda

tiyakapoor said:
hey all..
wish me luck guys
take care
tiya

Vrnda said:
Hello Tiya,

Thanks
Good luck !!
Vrnda

hi ..
dont just go by a few experainces...
any of the subjects can have difficult questions.. its ure luck , wat questions you get...
biocehm , can be difficult, but so can micro , path , even some papers anat and DA are tough..
thats my personal experiance , having gievn it twice.
first tiem anat was very very tough.. second time.. very eaaaaasy... DA was crasy the first time, a cake walk the second , biochem was easy teh firxt time.. veyr tough the second
path / micro prettty easry the first time,.. the toughest setion the second time...
u never know waht u may get.. prepare for all subjects presuming they are going to tough.. anything easier.. is a bonus..!!!!!
all the best
toothie

interdenttx said:
hi
all the part 1 retakers . i have kaplan video lectures to understand the subjects like bio chem, physio,anat.let me know if anybody want that
bye

I do , please, How can we arrange to get copies from you .
Thank you !
[email protected]

Vrnda said:
Hello Tiya,

Thanks
Good luck !!
Vrnda

Seems to me that they run out of easy questions for bioquemistry and they just have very but very difficult ones.
I got my results ,got my results 84 ...bioquemistry f.. up my results I got 78,last time I got 84 in that subjet. The rest is been improved. Vey down, no sure if I should retake it. Any advice, will be appreciate it.
I know there are alot more competition between indians, I am latin , green card holder and california resident, does anybody know something about my chances.??

Babyteeth

Hi,

I am sorry about the score, dont worry, every thing is going to work out, it seems every one is saying that bio chem was very tough, can u tell me if u read kaplan notes for physio and biochem and do u think that would be helpful for preparing for part 1,
thanks, :luck:

Thanks Toothie!!

I guess along with preparation ,lots of luck is also needed!!! :D
So have you heard anything from BU??
Thank you for helping so many of us at the forums :thumbup: :)
Still debating paper based/ CBT???? :confused: :scared:
Is anatomy BRS a good book for review??
Vrnda

toothie said:
hi ..
dont just go by a few experainces...
any of the subjects can have difficult questions.. its ure luck , wat questions you get...
biocehm , can be difficult, but so can micro , path , even some papers anat and DA are tough..
thats my personal experiance , having gievn it twice.
first tiem anat was very very tough.. second time.. very eaaaaasy... DA was crasy the first time, a cake walk the second , biochem was easy teh firxt time.. veyr tough the second
path / micro prettty easry the first time,.. the toughest setion the second time...
u never know waht u may get.. prepare for all subjects presuming they are going to tough.. anything easier.. is a bonus..!!!!!
all the best
toothie

tiyakapoor said:
hey all..
wish me luck guys
take care
hai tiya, tiya
plz post questions what ever u remember.it will be helpful for many.i wish u luck for ur results.

Vrnda said:
Hi All,

Kindly post valuable suggestions on how we can score better 2nd time around!!! :thumbup:

I would like for all of us to share what we are doing differently this time around to ensure better results. I am studying some topics from textbooks to clear my concepts….

Kindly all of you out there, "retakers".. ..post your suggestions regarding - study materials / review notes that you are using and how different we can all study to improve our scores this time around ..

Kindly post your thoughts and suggestions and help us retakers to score better and apply for admissions for the following cycle…

Guys….those of who have been accepted to schools, kindly post your suggestions ......

Thanks
Vrnda
h

Hi, Iam Planning To Retake Part -1 As Well.pls Keep In Contact.have U Already Started To Prepare.

interdenttx said:
hi
bye
HEY INTER DENTTX, I WILL APPERICIATE IF U LET ME HAVE HAVE THOSE VDO LECTURES. PLS TELL ME HOW CAN I GET THEM.

Prinzmetal said:
I have a part 1 with average of 90.
I also have a 280 in Toefl and a 2.6 GPA. And some excellent recommendations.
I applied to all school on East coast on early DEC ,I got 2 interviews with BOSTON and UPENN.
NYU rejected me even without an interview. the same with others.
BOSTON and UPENN rejected me too.
Anyone has any suggestion ?
I cant improve my GPA ( It is what it is) , Do you think Its wise to redo part 1 ?
I feel very depressed at this point.
NYU interviewed and accepted applicants with much lower scores.
I called and asked , but they didnt give me any reason.
What should I do ?
What would you do if you were me ?
Redo part 1 ?
Doing part 2 ? ( most schools dont even look at it)
Do GRE and go for a MS ?
or DAT and restart the whole dental school from begining ?
PLZ help
HEY PRINZMETAL, SO WHAT R U PLANNING TO DO .I HAVE LOW GPA ASWELL.& ITS TROUBLING ME. PLS REPLY. WE MAY DISCUSS SOMETHING OUT.

Hi babyteeth,

Good that you have definitely improved on your scores!!! :thumbup:
You can apply to NYU and also to schools in the west coast and think of taking part2 now ..
I'm sure you will get in somewhere.. :thumbup:
Best of Luck :luck:
Vrnda

babyteeth said:
Seems to me that they run out of easy questions for bioquemistry and they just have very but very difficult ones.
I got my results ,got my results 84 ...bioquemistry f.. up my results I got 78,last time I got 84 in that subjet. The rest is been improved. Vey down, no sure if I should retake it. Any advice, will be appreciate it.
I know there are alot more competition between indians, I am latin , green card holder and california resident, does anybody know something about my chances.??

Babyteeth

Vrnda said:
Thanks Toothie!!

I guess along with preparation ,lots of luck is also needed!!! :D
So have you heard anything from BU??
Thank you for helping so many of us at the forums :thumbup: :)
Still debating paper based/ CBT???? :confused: :scared:
Is anatomy BRS a good book for review??
Vrnda

hi Vrnda ,
either way it doesnt matter.. whatever ure comfy with.. even if ure not a pro on the computer.. the cbt is a cakewalk.. doesnt require too many skills...
regarding the curve... i feel if u do well... and know ure matter.. it really doewnt matter what u give....
anatomy BRS is a pretty good book... the histo one is very good....
I got accepted into BU....
all the best for your preparations
toothie

toothie said:
toothie

CONGRATS ON YOUR ACCEPTANCE :)

Congrats Toothie, :thumbup:
and thanks for all your help ...!!I really appreciate that...
and many thanks for helping out so many of us at sdn forums ....
i think u are the next " meggs".. :D
wish there were many more students like you around who have got accepted and help others out also .. :rolleyes:
Hope we all do well on our upcoming Boards!! :thumbup: :)
Best of Luck to you :luck:
Keep posting!!!
Vrnda

toothie said:
hi Vrnda ,
either way it doesnt matter.. whatever ure comfy with.. even if ure not a pro on the computer.. the cbt is a cakewalk.. doesnt require too many skills...
regarding the curve... i feel if u do well... and know ure matter.. it really doewnt matter what u give....
anatomy BRS is a pretty good book... the histo one is very good....
toothie

Vrnda said:
Congrats Toothie, :thumbup:
and thanks for all your help ...!!I really appreciate that...
and many thanks for helping out so many of us at sdn forums ....
i think u are the next " meggs".. :D
wish there were many more students like you around who have got accepted and help others out also .. :rolleyes:
Hope we all do well on our upcoming Boards!! :thumbup: :)
Best of Luck to you :luck:
Keep posting!!!
Vrnda

hi vrnda....
thanks..:)
all the best for ure upcomming exams.... study hard...
nothing is imossible...
toothie

Hi ..

Come on guys ..keep the thread alive!!!..how is everyone preparation going on ..I'm still trying to complete Biochem physio ..and have started with anat..BRS is a good book ..i got that ..!! :) :idea:
Keep posting!! :thumbup:
Vrnda

Vrnda said:
Hi ..

Come on guys ..keep the thread alive!!!..how is everyone preparation going on ..I'm still trying to complete Biochem physio ..and have started with anat..BRS is a good book ..i got that ..!! :) :idea:
Keep posting!! :thumbup:
Vrnda
Hi vrnda,

What materials are you using for all the subjects? I am planning to give the paper based test in july.I am studying from kaplan & decks, thought i will do the papers in the end. do you think that should suffice? when are you planning to give your exam? made any decisions as yet?
thanks so much for your help,
rhia

Hi Rhia,

Im using a couple of text books also along with the basic materials.
BRS books are good ..try using them ..to get an understanding of the subjects...your study plan sounds good
I'm planning on paper based mostly ..depends on my prep this time around..
All the best :thumbup:
Keep posting!!!
Vrnda

Rhia said:
Hi vrnda,

What materials are you using for all the subjects? I am planning to give the paper based test in july.I am studying from kaplan & decks, thought i will do the papers in the end. do you think that should suffice? when are you planning to give your exam? made any decisions as yet?
rhia

hi all,

its been 5 days since I have taken the exam and I dont exacty remember much.all I can tell u is that they asked a lot of questions from fat metabolism,interluekins,c5,c3,c2..which I had no idea about.
also they asked a lot of questions on gluconeogenesis.
also in DA they asked not even a single wuestion on movements.can u believe this.and we spend like 15 days trying to learn about the working and non working sides.can u think it can get any worse.
I am really scared after the way the exam has gone.and I thught that I was well prepared for the exam after 3 months.so all I can say is study real hard and do everything.u cant expect to get away with this easily
take care
tiya

tiyakapoor said:
hi all,

its been 5 days since I have taken the exam and I dont exacty remember much.all I can tell u is that they asked a lot of questions from fat metabolism,interluekins,c5,c3,c2..which I had no idea about.
also in DA they asked not even a single wuestion on movements.can u believe this.and we spend like 15 days trying to learn about the working and non working sides.can u think it can get any worse.
I am really scared after the way the exam has gone.and I thught that I was well prepared for the exam after 3 months.so all I can say is study real hard and do everything.u cant expect to get away with this easily
take care
tiya

its all ure luck.. what q u get...
the first time when i gave rhe exams.. there were soooo many q on movements...not only for cl1 but also class 2 and 3...
second time,... i slogged over it... and there were hardly any questions.....
thats what i said earlier too.. one persons experiance is not reflective of the exam on the whole... anything is possible... all u can do is know every single topic... dont leave anything to chance.... know every topic in each subject.... part 1 is very unreliable !!!!!
all the best

tiyakapoor said:
hi all,

take care
tiya
hai tiya,
what about anatomy.which topics they covered?

Hi Guys,

How is it going? ..My prep has slowed down a lot ...still stuck with Physio ..kaplan notes there is a lot to do ...!!and its taking toooo long. :(
Oh God ,when i will remember all this stuff ? I need to find out some way to do it. or i will waste time. .I want to see how much i remember from my first reading. ok,will be back....
keep posting your progress :thumbup:
Vrnda

Dang I wish I had taken the test when I finished school ....It's been 7 years and I got older ..I can't remember as quick as I used to do ....I am reading over and over , doing tests over and over again but still can't achieve my goal...I am getting depressed...Especially Biochemistry ... Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp..

Still wishing the best for all :luck:

hi! all i am also taking the boards i am very depressed when i took them the last time i scored only 82 i have been trying to get a good score since last year kindly suggest ways to improve score

Hi everybody,
Can anyone tell me wat r the important paper work taht has to b collected from india for the NBD part 1 , apart from ECE scores. And regarding the text books for reference, which r the standard ones to follow. will the kaplan coaching help or is it sufficient to follow the kaplan notes. Plz help i am confused.

Thanx

Hi! There is this website www.*********** you can register for free(it takes about 48h to get access) and there are some tools you can use to prepare for part1.Maby it is not the greates but it can be helpful.All the best for everyone.

It is toymed com

Hi Guys ..
How is it going?...Kaplan does take a long time to read up!! :scared:
How are all of you progressing .. :thumbup:
Till then
Vrnda

Vrnda said:
Hi Guys ..
How is it going?...Kaplan does take a long time to read up!! :scared:
How are all of you progressing .. :thumbup:
Till then
Vrnda
hi vrinda, are you or anybody using the kaplan q bank??????i read a thread somewhere where people were talking about passing it to each other.but actually isn't it supposed to be an online course at kaplan's institute?????so i was wondering what is or was going to be passed around!!!!!!!!!!i called them and they said that there's no book format for this q bank!!!!
where are you vrinda??????do you mind sharing your stats.i just decided to retake the test.pm me,we could discuss strategies.!!!!!!!!!!

Vrnda said:
Hi All,

Thanks
Vrnda

hi
Great thread !!!! Took my partr1 in 2001 half heartedly .Got a 79% almost gave up on dentistry till i came across this site .Have also passed my part 2 but planning to give part 1 again .Any advises .Its so difficult to study the basics all over again...I am keeping my fingers crossed
shall stay in touch.I have dental decks old papers and a text book which I really like .Some MCQ from a book called Rudman.That is it No Kaplan Do u think I should sign up for Kaplan Online How is their question bank ???

Hi Blacktooth,

I haven't tried using the kaplan q bank...It is an online course ..u can enroll for either 3 months or for a month..
Hope your prep is going on good
Keep posting!!
Vrnda

blacktooth said:
hi vrinda, are you or anybody using the kaplan q bank??????i read a thread somewhere where people were talking about passing it to each other.but actually isn't it supposed to be an online course at kaplan's institute?????so i was wondering what is or was going to be passed around!!!!!!!!!!i called them and they said that there's no book format for this q bank!!!!
where are you vrinda??????do you mind sharing your stats.i just decided to retake the test.pm me,we could discuss strategies.!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Rhia,
How is it going? ..What portions have you completed?..Have you tried using toymed ..someone has mentioned about that site? ..is it good?.. :confused:

also ..regarding exam pattern change ..has it changed ..?Did anyone call ADA and find out?..i thought they will have to inform applicants about the change ..because last year they that is asda had publised an article also ..stating a near change by july 2005 ....wanted to know has it already taken effect ..?. :scared: .atleast they should give us a sample of questions with the new pattern..even in the part1 application booklet nothing is mentioned..!!
Does anyone know anything ..kindly post any info ..
Thanks
Vrnda

Rhia said:
Hi vrnda,

rhia

Hi Tiya..

Just wanted to know did you get your results??How did you fare?
Vrnda

tiyakapoor said:
hi all,

take care
tiya

Vrnda said:
Hi Rhia,
How is it going? ..What portions have you completed?..Have you tried using toymed ..someone has mentioned about that site? ..is it good?.. :confused:

also ..regarding exam pattern change ..has it changed ..?Did anyone call ADA and find out?..i thought they will have to inform applicants about the change ..because last year they that is asda had publised an article also ..stating a near change by july 2005 ....wanted to know has it already taken effect ..?. :scared: .atleast they should give us a sample of questions with the new pattern..even in the part1 application booklet nothing is mentioned..!!
Does anyone know anything ..kindly post any info ..
Thanks
Vrnda
Hi vrnda,
Like i have said in the other thread, i am almost done with kaplan now, i am doing anat. & even the paper change, as far as i know & from what ada told me when i called ,there is no change in format in july.lets leave it at that&not get worked up about it.Lets concentrate on finishing our subjects & revising well. I think that would really help, no matter how the paper is. :)
i have decided to take the paper based in july.
good luck with your prep :thumbup:
Rhia
good luck everyone :thumbup: