Anyone scored mid 20's in all practice tests..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXtaco25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
..and then score high 20's or even a 30? I am scared because with all of the studying and preparing I have done, I have averaged between a 24-26 on all of my practice test...and my actual test is on the 29th. I really don't know what to do. Just got to be confident in my abilities. I know those aamc practice scores aren't predicative I feel of my actual knowledge and abilities.

Just curious if there has been anyone who has been in a similar spot.

I hope I don't have to void....

Members don't see this ad.

Bleargh, Draper, what are you guys doing? If you're bright enough to rock the MCAT why are you down here toying with the delusional? Poor guy is already more than likely to walk about with a sub-26 score tomorrow, don't laugh at him too :p

can't decide if this thread is too heated to read or too hilarious to stop reading.

txtaco - after all of these posts, i'm not sure if mine will help, but here are my two cents. i'm taking my test on the 30th. i'm averaging 27/28, so i'm not sure if i should void my score or not. obviously, this isn't where i want to be 1.5 days before the test. when that 2 week mark came around though, i was being unrealistically positive and hoping for a miracle. anyway, long story short, same situation. i'm still taking it, but i'm 90% sure that i'm voiding it. i've got test anxiety issues, so i figure that i would be better off experiencing the real thing once so i know what to expect in the future.

yes, i'm still considering applying this cycle. i'm hoping to retake the test toward the end of august and apply with that score.

if things get bad tomorrow, consider this as an alternative. it requires a few more weeks of studying, but it will definitely boost your chances! otherwise, good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oleo, thanks for the response. I hope Friday you go in and actually ace that sucker. I truly will take your opinion to heart. It is nice to have someone come on here and give some positive feedback for a change, instead of those people who search the forums all day looking for the negative in people's questions or suggestions.

Bottom line is I was never looking for anybody's opinion, and certainly wasn't looking for lectures on the stupidity or logic of my decision, however , some choose to do that anyways. That's OK though. I was simply asking if there was anybody in the same boat as me, now or in the past, and who may have had some success.

Post like these just go to show that medicine should be so much more than just numbers, but unfortunately, that is not the case, and I accept that. It is what it is.

TXSupremeBurrito: Don't hate on the admissions process just because you aren't working hard enough to achieve your goals. Good luck tomorrow.

Oleo, thanks for the response. I hope Friday you go in and actually ace that sucker. I truly will take your opinion to heart. It is nice to have someone come on here and give some positive feedback for a change, instead of those people who search the forums all day looking for the negative in people's questions or suggestions.

Bottom line is I was never looking for anybody's opinion, and certainly wasn't looking for lectures on the stupidity or logic of my decision, however , some choose to do that anyways. That's OK though. I was simply asking if there was anybody in the same boat as me, now or in the past, and who may have had some success.

Post like these just go to show that medicine should be so much more than just numbers, but unfortunately, that is not the case, and I accept that. It is what it is.
the fact that you have to wonder that at all is both amusing and alarming at the same time. what do you think sherlock, that in the history of the mcat, which is administered to ~60K people over the past few years, that no one has been scoring in the mid-20s leading up to the actual test day? and that none of these people scored a 30+? we're not here to coddle your insecurities.

medicine should be about more than numbers. it should also be about some common sense, a proper sense of risk management, and sound judgement. it seems you strike out on all of these as well.

the fact that you have to wonder that at all is both amusing and alarming at the same time. what do you think sherlock, that in the history of the mcat, which is administered to ~60K people over the past few years, that no one has been scoring in the mid-20s leading up to the actual test day? and that none of these people scored a 30+? we're not here to coddle your insecurities.

medicine should be about more than numbers. it should also be about some common sense, a proper sense of risk management, and sound judgement. it seems you strike out on all of these as well.

After reading today's posts, I would like to recant my position and agree with you. OP's false confidence has allowed him to under-prepare for the MCAT. I did not agree with your aggressive stance on this issue in the beginning, but I can understand your distaste now. :rolleyes:

OP, if you do get that solid score you are looking for, I would be happy to see that. Miracles do happen; however, it is presumptuous to assume that they will happen for you in an unlikely series of events. You may find your way to a solid enough MCAT score by such luck, but you will not get past any interviews with this mindset you have. I do wish ya the best of luck, at this point you will certainly need it.

Yeah, I only averaged like a 26 on the AAMC tests and then got a 32. I don't know if its common, but it can happen. Whether it is likely is another issue!

..and then score high 20's or even a 30? I am scared because with all of the studying and preparing I have done, I have averaged between a 24-26 on all of my practice test...and my actual test is on the 29th. I really don't know what to do. Just got to be confident in my abilities. I know those aamc practice scores aren't predicative I feel of my actual knowledge and abilities.

Just curious if there has been anyone who has been in a similar spot.

I hope I don't have to void....

I think state of mind has a lot to do with it as well. I have been averaging mid-20's on my AAMC tests but have been doing them at 6 p.m. after a ten hour workday. I've taken the entire week off before the actual exam (in two weeks) so I can rest and prepare a bit more leisurely.

I hope the relaxation and well restedness will be good for a point or 2 on the real thing.

Burrito: I'm not posting to start an argument, but I would like to know if you took the test. Update?

Last edited:
Burrito: I'm not posting to start an argument, but I would like to know if you took the test. Update?

Burrito disappeared.

He probably took the MCAT and got a tough BS section (some people said this).

Seems like AAMC has been doing this quite a bit. Out of the three sections, one straight forward, one challenging, and one brutal.

Wait, I just noticed his name is Taco.

No disappearance here, but it is funny to see y'all trying to make yourselves look better by trying to belittle others. But anyways...

I took the test indeed, and I agree with what you have seen, the BS was BRUTAL. Never seen anything like it in any practice test, aamc, kaplan, or TBR. However, I did not think the PS and VR were particularly harder than anything I have seen, and actually felt fairly confident after the VR section.

Did I take the whole 5 minutes to decide whether to void or not? You bet, but in the end I took the leap and scored it.

I have felt better knowing that everyone else felt the same way about the BS as I did, so hopefully they grade accordingly.

Now, we wait.

This reminds me of a Disney movie:

"Taco has never been good at scoring high on the MCAT, but in 2010 he gears up to take a test that will determine the rest of his life. Starring Don Draper and the evil bleargh the Lion... This poster believes miracles can happen."

I'm actually pretty captivated. Please let me know your score. Underdogs rule.

I know what you guys mean by straight forward, challenging, and brutal sections. I took it May 22, and after scoring in the high 20's on all practice tests, I got a 22. The PS section was the BRUTAL one on my test. I got a 5 in that section. I plan to take it again at the end of September. Anyone have suggestions on PS study material?

The only advice I can give you is that you should study genetics, biochem, optics, magnetism, and circuits. These are things I noticed were the principles they were testing for. Anybody else notice anything different on their MCAT?

No disappearance here, but it is funny to see y'all trying to make yourselves look better by trying to belittle others. But anyways...

I took the test indeed, and I agree with what you have seen, the BS was BRUTAL. Never seen anything like it in any practice test, aamc, kaplan, or TBR. However, I did not think the PS and VR were particularly harder than anything I have seen, and actually felt fairly confident after the VR section.

Did I take the whole 5 minutes to decide whether to void or not? You bet, but in the end I took the leap and scored it.

I have felt better knowing that everyone else felt the same way about the BS as I did, so hopefully they grade accordingly.

Now, we wait.

Dude.

I hope you realize that my purpose (and probably others too) was just to encourage you not to take risks and to take the test when ready.

I do NOT wish ill will on you. I hope you score a 30. At the same time I don't think it should be upsetting if you do your average or minus a few points.

Good luck. Hope you get into medical school regardless of how this exam goes. :thumbup:

This reminds me of a Disney movie:

"Taco has never been good at scoring high on the MCAT, but in 2010 he gears up to take a test that will determine the rest of his life. Starring Don Draper and the evil bleargh the Lion... This poster believes miracles can happen."

I'm actually pretty captivated. Please let me know your score. Underdogs rule.

Don Draper, the guy who doesn't takes sides. Except for the side of reason.:thumbup: