Anyone taking TPR pract test on SAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

latinfridley

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, i was just wonderin if anybody was taking the practice MCAT, for the TPR verbal acclerator portion of the course, this Sat the 26th, or has already taken it. Comments?

Members don't see this ad.

hey i am taking it this sunday! hopefully i wake up last time i registered for the kaplan one and well, yeah i slept in.

Originally posted by immediatespring
hey i am taking it this sunday! hopefully i wake up last time i registered for the kaplan one and well, yeah i slept in.

Where are you located? I am taking one here (NYC) also on sunday(the 27th).
They had a kaplan one last saturday but I couldn't make it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took the PR diag MCAT on Sat Twas' a long freakin exam, but overall I didnt think it was that difficult. For me the physical sciences section was the most difficult, i didnt get to answer all the questions, and guessed on many. The verbal and bio sections didnt seem terribly hard, and the writing prompts seemed pretty easy. What do yall think?
The-jrod

Originally posted by immediatespring
hey i am taking it tomorrow, dont know y?, anyway why is it from 10 to 6, do they time u?

yes, They do time you. It is taken in real test conditions. Make sure to have lunch and also it can be a bit exhausting as well.

Dang, there are alot of people up late on the board tonight. Anyway, yeah they time you. mine was from 9-430 or so, with an hour lunch. Let me know what u think after u take it.
the j-rod

so i just came back from the test, uuhhhhmm, it wasnt that hard, the first two or thres questions that is. i was on number 20 when she said eh, u have 5 more minutes, i thot she said 70 more minutes, i must have been hallucinating!
come verbal, yeah i did, let see, 1, 2,3, and yeah 3 passages,
writing wasn't bad i wrote about 2 pages, i gave up on the biological section, that has got to be the most boring exam ever, i still have 30 mins left, but i am already in my room so go figure:rolleyes:

i get my results in a week, any predictions? i am going for 9P, 4V, 5B and Z for effort in essay. the verbal well i have an excuse, english isnt my first language

the exam was just depressing i would encourage people to take it though cos i was so confident i could do it, now i am going to start studying for the april mcats, today, yes TODAY!

word of advice, dont take the mcats when u have another exam the next day, it is physically draining and emotionally taxing, well notice the big words and dont think i didnt learn anything

;)

alright later!

I just came back from my mock TPR mcat. It went from 9-5pm. I didn't find it too hard. The PS was okay, I found the verbal was sorta easy (maybe I just got a bunch of it wrong) and the biological section was very snorrreee.

I can't believe it, I fell asleep during the bio section...lol. I guess I shouldn't have spent my lunch hour shopping at H&M only to rush to Wendy's to get a baked potato and salad, only to rush to class and gobble that down in less than 10 minutes. All that took it's toll on me because I was knocked the heck out during the bio.

I finished with it 35 minutes left...which meant that I was sleeping and bubbling at the same time. I finally woke up when this other couple (they were practically making out in front of me all day) got up and left early.
I am going for a 10V, 9P and with any luck 7B and the writing section was okay I guess....I'll settle for a T.:p

Something tells me that when we get our scores back , we'll have found that we didnt do as well as we thought. I find out tuesday what the results are so ill post em when i get em back.
btw - how exactly is writing scored? a-z? the higher letter the better?
the j-rod

Originally posted by latinfridley

btw - how exactly is writing scored? a-z? the higher letter the better?
the j-rod

the scoring scale for the writing section is strange.....its from J to T......J being the lowest and T being the highest. People say if you get at least an N you are ok.

Here are the results of my TPR diag 4911:

i didnt get a score translation sheet, so here are the ratios of right over total:

P - 37/77
V - 35/60
B - 50/77

Its humbling to say the least
the j-rod

Members don't see this ad :)
what was ur writing score, and our proctor sid, they were going to score ours like the mcat , so why is urs like that? i mean it doenst even consider the curves and everything, if thisis the way they grade the exams, then i really dont think its worth it!

TPR apparently messed up on grading the diag due to the new format of the mcat. They apparently didnt have the correct answer key to grade it with so it will be next week when i find out the actual scores.
j-rod

alrite did anyone get their scores back? what the heck is wrong with TPR? I mean this isnt the real mcats, we shouldnt be waiting this long. geez talk about 8 hrs of time wasted :rolleyes:

It's freaking ridiculous. 2 weeks is too long. Ill post em when i got em.
j-rod:cool:

TPR diag's scores are posted on the website. I took diag 481. The scores are pretty jacked up-- V-6, P-4, B-4. WHat gives? I got V-9, P-6, B-7 on the real thing 2 years ago. :(

Thats strange, why u take diag 481? My class took diag 491, which is the format of the mcat in april. Are u sure you took 481? That was last years diag.
j-rod

btw-still no scores

We got 481, don't know why. Also, according to the score report, there were a lot of blanks on my answer sheet, as many as 13 on one section! I KNOW I answered every question, didn't run out of time, checked my answers. I wonder if we can look at our scantrons?

Just looked online at the princeton review web site. My scores for the TPR 491 diag were posted. Here are the results:
BIO 8, Phys 5, Verb 6
19 total
hmmm.....
Let the test prep begin!
the j-rod

Originally posted by femdoc
TPR diag's scores are posted on the website. I took diag 481. The scores are pretty jacked up-- V-6, P-4, B-4. What gives? I got V-9, P-6, B-7 on the real thing 2 years ago.

DO NOT TAKE THE DIAG SCORE SERIOUSLY! I taught for Hyperlearning (now Princeton Review) for a few years, and the design of the scale of daigs was intentionally low. It was done that way for two reasons.

(1) To help promote their course (fear tactic). They don't say much about the score to you and they don't try to hard sell you, but they know that when you get such a low score you are cnvinced you have to take a review course.

(2) For statistical reasons, a low opening score when compared to the actual score shows a big score improvement. For instance, if femdoc repeats her original actual MCAT score, that will be an 8 point increase from her first diag. Ironically, that's the average they boasted of in their advertising back then. Notice how their advertising always references a "score increase" and never a final score? At least they did that when I was there. Perhaps they have changed, but I doubt it.

Please don't get me worng, because I thought the course was pretty good (I had some issues with the administration, but most of the teachers were good). I just thought the sales tactics they used were misleading. I was pretty upset that they'd be willing to damage a student's psyche in the interest of better sales. But I guess that's the industry norm, because Kaplan runs a diag as well, so I doubt they do anything differently.

TPR diag's scores are posted on the website. I took diag 481. The scores are pretty jacked up-- V-6, P-4, B-4. WHat gives? I got V-9, P-6, B-7 on the real thing 2 years ago. :(

I am not sure but I think I took the 481 diag and I got a sad

V-8, P-8 and B-5 (I fell asleep in the bio section due to my tasy wendy's lunch)

Note to self- Do not eat greasy fast food for lunch during REAL MCAT.

Yeah so a 21 is what I'm working with. All I have to do is increase 10pts and I am set.

when did u guys get ur scores. i stilll havent gotten mine, okay this is even worse than waiting for the real mcats :rolleyes: how can i contact them ?

Check your scores online at their internet site. They sent an email out too apoligizing for the late grading of the diag too.
Cereberus , those are bs scores right?
-jrod-

Go to www.princetonreview.com . Im guessing ur not registered with them. U should have recieved an email from TPR with ur username and password. The username is ur email address, and im pretty sure there is a 'forgot password' link u can click to find out ur password. If all else fails call your local TPR office and ask them to get u set up.
j-rod

Once u log on to their site, go to the link "mcat online tools" or something to that effect. It should be easy to find them from there
jrod

Dangit, this is getting frustrating....
Step 1) Log on to www.princetonreview.com
Step 2) After successfully logging on, notice the link under the maintenance announcement in the center of the webpage that says "mcat online course tools", u cant miss it. Click said link.
Step 3) A page should then pop up that says ur name and lists several different options on the left. Click the option "test scoring"
Step 4) After clicking 'test scoring' a further submenu of options pops up on the right. Click the box that says "review your scores".
Your scores should then appear in a new window.

If steps 1-4 dont work, then u are beyond help.

jrod:cool:

DO NOT TAKE THE DIAG SCORE SERIOUSLY! I taught for Hyperlearning (now Princeton Review) for a few years, and the design of the scale of daigs was intentionally low. It was done that way for two reasons.

Thanks for that info!! Yeah, those tactics are a bit flaky. But I do like the classes, the instructors are very good. The guarantee's not too shabby, neither. Hope I won't be retaking it, though!

Thanks for that info!! Yeah, those tactics are a bit flaky. But I do like the classes, the instructors are very good. The guarantee's not too shabby, neither. Hope I won't be retaking it, though!

The course is very good. They really don't need to play the games they do, because the course should sell itself. I guess like any big business, they get caught up in the tactics. As for the guarantee, I have NEVER met anyone who actually qualified for it. I remember one kid got a 17 and they found a loop hole that he was late for his first diag.

On the business side, I had issues with the way they did things. On the course side, except for a few of the books and exams, I thought it was excellent.

Cerb was just bsing. No way anyone gets that good a score on prac mcat, unless theyre a certifiable genius.
j-rod

Mudd and others -

I got to use my guarantee this past summer without having to jump through any hoops or date any instructors! ;) And I took an additional 4 prax diags that were reserved for "refreshers" - all new material.

My assessment of TPR - instructors are really "experts", however they won't be taking the test for you. What makes or breaks your scores is how dedicated you are to learning INDEPENDENTLY what you're deficient in and taking every practice test you can get your hands on once you're up to speed. Any free Saturday/Sunday morning about 3 months out should be devoted to practice tests.

Originally posted by Pinki
I got to use my guarantee this past summer without having to jump through any hoops or date any instructors! ;) And I took an additional 4 prax diags that were reserved for "refreshers" - all new material.

I am so glad to hear that. Maybe it's just in LA, but during my two year stay, no one met the criteria. people repeated at a reduced price, but no one got the free ride. Congrats. I'm glad to hear that some franchise actually honor the national rules.

My assessment of TPR - instructors are really "experts", however they won't be taking the test for you. What makes or breaks your scores is how dedicated you are to learning INDEPENDENTLY what you're deficient in and taking every practice test you can get your hands on once you're up to speed. Any free Saturday/Sunday morning about 3 months out should be devoted to practice tests.

Yeah, I'd have to agree that most of the teachers were pretty damn good. The biology teacher during my tenure wasn't so great, but other than her, it was a very strong staff. I think expert is a bit strong, but certainly they are knowledgable and articulate. I'm glad to hear they are keeping the standards in Phoenix. I recommended a former student to PR in LA last year, and his feedback wasn't as positive as yours (negative might better describe it). That's the problem with a franchise. But as you mentioned, and it's so true, it comes down to the student.

I improved 14 points compared to my first princeton diagnostic, so you should be fine.

The first diag of the actual Hyperlearning course is going to be given this Saturday, at least for me anyway. So....anyone else taking a TPR diag this weekend? Hopefully they wont screw up the whole grading process again.
Immediate Spring - thats a really good first time score for your diag. My ex roomie got like a 14 or something lower his first time, and apparently did great on the actual MCAT.
Also, I think if anybody has signed up for the hyperlearning class starting next week, we actually get our books and stuff to study the first class. Lets keep each other updated on how studying is going with TPR materials . (there is another thread about this)
j-rod