Anyone use "Dominate the GRE" online study prep course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyTime2Fly!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Dominate the GRE" looks like a great course. However, I cannot find ANY, I mean ZERO reviews on the course except ones on their website, or articles the creator has written himself. I know Magoosh is popular and pretty darn reasonable cost wise, however, I really like the strategy approach that 'Dominate the GRE' is teaching on their 3 free videos. If it matters, i am a 49 yr old who hasn't taken math classes in YEARS!

Id love any feedback on Magoosh strategy approach to math. (solving with reason vs solving the math) and anyone who has used Dominate the GRE online program!!

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

"Dominate the GRE" looks like a great course. However, I cannot find ANY, I mean ZERO reviews on the course except ones on their website, or articles the creator has written himself. I know Magoosh is popular and pretty darn reasonable cost wise, however, I really like the strategy approach that 'Dominate the GRE' is teaching on their 3 free videos. If it matters, i am a 49 yr old who hasn't taken math classes in YEARS!

Id love any feedback on Magoosh strategy approach to math. (solving with reason vs solving the math) and anyone who has used Dominate the GRE online program!!

Thank you!!!

I’m currently using Magoosh and love it (it’s been 10 years since I’ve taken a math class). There are so so so many lessons and they really break it down into distinct topics so you don’t have to sit through the stuff you know already. The lessons are short, they don’t drone on. And there are lessons that focus on strategy. Here’s a screenshot of some of the lessons.

Also, when you want to do practice problems you can have it show you a mix of all topics or you can select only geometry, as an example. You can also tell it to set a time limit if you want or give you only questions of “medium” difficulty or whatever.

4284EE96-BCC2-4E72-82E6-243D32880B7F.png

Reactions: 1 user

Thank you!!!

I didnt use magoosh, but if youre looking foe good gre prep, I found empower gre to be fantastic. They focused a lot of videos on test taking strategies in addition to the concepts. And they were by far the most budget friendly option i found. They definitely helped bump my score in both quant and verbal!

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to teach GRE and SAT test prep for a large, well known company and also for a small boutique firm - both places taught logic strategies heavily.

Yes, you do need math skills to get questions right. But you'd be surprised how often you can logic your way to the right answer quickly without doing any math once you are very proficient at the strategies. They are very awkward and cumbersome at first, but once you are good at them they will make you a much faster and better test taker.

Reasoning strategies are particularly helpful for quickly eliminating 2-3 wrong answers which increases your chances of guessing correctly significantly if you dont know how to solve it or if you do something wrong in your calculations.

Many wrong answers in the math section are wrong because you made an easy math mistake. For example, maybe you forgot a negative sign in your calculation. Logic would tell you before you started that you will need a negative answer. As a result, you can eliminate any positive answer choices right away. Then, if you calculate out a positive you know you are wrong and need to try again. If you are running short on time or aren't sure how to proceed you can take a guess and you've upped your odds from a 20% chance to a 50% chance of guessing correctly. If you have to guess on 10 questions you just theoretically upped your score on those questions from 2 out of 10 correct to 5 out of 10 correct, which will impact your end score.

If you are relying solely on your ability to mathematically solve problems you'll never up your odds from that 20% to 50% and you'll have less time for harder questions. Also, a lot of questions aren't difficult mathematically but they are written in really jerk-tactic ways that are designed to trick you into picking a wrong answers that are tempting for some reason or another. You could be reeeeeeallly good at the fundamental mathematics needed and still get bamboozled.

When I was tutoring my high school students used to get mad because if we got new SAT prep material into the testing center I would do practice tests with them and finish in about 1/2 the allotted time with 95%+ scores while they struggled through. That speed and accuracy was as much due to reasoning as it was to actual math skills.

Sent from my SM-G892U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I’m currently using Magoosh and love it (it’s been 10 years since I’ve taken a math class). There are so so so many lessons and they really break it down into distinct topics so you don’t have to sit through the stuff you know already. The lessons are short, they don’t drone on. And there are lessons that focus on strategy. Here’s a screenshot of some of the lessons.

Also, when you want to do practice problems you can have it show you a mix of all topics or you can select only geometry, as an example. You can also tell it to set a time limit if you want or give you only questions of “medium” difficulty or whatever.

View attachment 234420
Thank you! so do they give you a schedule/time line you can follow daily to make sure you have everything covered?

Thank you! so do they give you a schedule/time line you can follow daily to make sure you have everything covered?

I’m not personally following a schedule but they have 11 options as far as schedule goes. I briefly glanced at it and they have a 1 week plan, several 1 month plans, and a handful of 2-3 months plans.

I am also considering Dominate the GRE and have not had math since college...35 years ago! I have spoken with Brett the creator and video instructor. I love the preview videos and his approach. I also cannot find anyone who used it and no reviews on line except on the Dominate the GRE website. The FB page does not have many followers. Has anyone used it since the last post?

I did DominatetheGRE and liked it a lot. I did it for 4 weeks between my first and second GRE and brought my verbal up by 6 and Quant up by 5. It improved my scores a lot. I would recommend it. It helped me get over UGA’s GRE score requirement! He teaches a lot more strategy which is nice because I suck at math.

I am also considering Dominate the GRE and have not had math since college...35 years ago! I have spoken with Brett the creator and video instructor. I love the preview videos and his approach. I also cannot find anyone who used it and no reviews on line except on the Dominate the GRE website. The FB page does not have many followers. Has anyone used it since the last post?
Just curious, but what made you decide to switch to vetmed from whatever your current career is?
Good luck on the GRE though!