Anyone who has an interview or had one HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Em1850

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am applying within the next week-two week and super nervous.
My GPA isn't the best, and re-taking my OAT's in December, (but applying before I retake and just sending them over when finished).
So I was wondering what everyone's GPA and OAT scores were that got an interview so I can compare my odds.

Members don't see this ad.

My GPA: 3.46 and OAT: AA 300, 310 TS.

I was offered 6 interviews: NOVA, ICO, UAB, Salus, Midwestern, and MCPHS.
I had interviews with NOVA, ICO, and UAB. I turned down Salus, Midwestern and MCPHS. I was rejected from NOVA, but I was accepted into ICO and UAB. I will be attending UAB with a Merit Scholarship. So don’t give up. Anything is possible.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: 3.91
OAT: 310 AA, 300 TS
I applied to four schools and was offered four interviews, them being: Nova, Midwestern Arizona, Salus, and Indiana U.
I accepted interviews at Nova, Midwestern Arizona, and Salus, but turned down Indiana U.
I was accepted into Nova and Midwestern, but still need to interview at Salus.
Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
GPA: 3.38
OAT: 320 AA, 300 TS
Applied to: ICO, PCO, SCCO, NECO (still waiting on materials for app), UCBSO (in the process)
I have received interviews at ICO, PCO, and SCCO so far. Had my ICO one this past week and going to PCO on October 6th.

So, I am applying within the next week-two week and super nervous.
My GPA isn't the best, and re-taking my OAT's in December, (but applying before I retake and just sending them over when finished).
So I was wondering what everyone's GPA and OAT scores were that got an interview so I can compare my odds.

Hello. I am a current first year optometry student at Salus University.

I think that my OAT AA was 310 and TS was also 310. My undergrad GPA was a 3.38. Neither are super impressive, however, I did my undergraduate education in three years instead of four by taking heavy course loads. I also was in the honors program at my school, had a chemistry and philosophy of medicine/bioethics concentration, worked four years at an optometry practice, and was very involved at school.
While all of that stuff is important, the interview (in my opinion) is just as important. You need to show schools that you are able to maintain a balanced lifestyle, have time management skills, are knowledgeable about optometry, and are dedicated to being successful.

What I did to practice for my interviews was type out questions that I thought they may ask (for example "What are some of the obstacles that the optometry practice has to face? Name a time where you overcame an obstacle") and list bullet points of things I would talk about if I were to be presented with that question. Of course, there is no way to forecast every question that your interviewer will ask you, but often times there is some overlap in the topics of your answers. Doing this practice will allow you to develop of bank of relevant ideas to choose from during your interview. My interview at Salus went really smoothly and it was very relaxed. I almost had to try not to answer too quickly to some of the questions because I already had an idea of what I was going to say! Be ready to give your genuine answer to why you chose optometry and why you want to come to that particular university (do your research). Also be sure to highlight what makes you unique as an applicant.

Obviously, if you have a 4.0 and a perfect OAT score, it does not necessarily mean that you can get in anywhere. Also keep in mind that if your GPA/OAT score is lower than the average stats for that school, you still have a chance! Getting invited for an interview is a good sign, because it means that your academic/extracurricular involvement has already caught the university's attention. They would not waste their time conducting an interview if they did not see potential in you. Good luck to everyone and please don't be discouraged! :)

Reactions: 1 user
GPA: 3.38
OAT: 320 AA, 300 TS
Applied to: ICO, PCO, SCCO, NECO (still waiting on materials for app), UCBSO (in the process)
I have received interviews at ICO, PCO, and SCCO so far. Had my ICO one this past week and going to PCO on October 6th.
Hey, how did everything go for PCO and NECO?