Anyone who was a pre-med turned optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

longlashes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

I was a pre-med turned pre-opt. I had considered optometry before, then decided that I wanted to go to med school and hopefully go on to ob-gyn. About midway through sophomore year (before I had taken the MCAT), I started thinking optometry again. GPA wasn't a problem, but I did start thinking about what I wanted my life to be like when I was out of school. There are medical professions that allow a 9-5 work schedule, but ob-gyn is not one of them. I thought about it a lot, observed some ODs, and decided to pursue optometry instead. Of course lifestyle isn't the only reason I decided to go the optometry route, but it is a valid one. It wasn't a hard transition since the pre-reqs are more or less the same.

Edit: I think there are actually a LOT of us out there with similar stories....

I was a pre-med turned pre-opt. I had considered optometry before, then decided that I wanted to go to med school and hopefully go on to ob-gyn. About midway through sophomore year (before I had taken the MCAT), I started thinking optometry again. GPA wasn't a problem, but I did start thinking about what I wanted my life to be like when I was out of school. There are medical professions that allow a 9-5 work schedule, but ob-gyn is not one of them. I thought about it a lot, observed some ODs, and decided to pursue optometry instead. Of course lifestyle isn't the only reason I decided to go the optometry route, but it is a valid one. It wasn't a hard transition since the pre-reqs are more or less the same.

Edit: I think there are actually a LOT of us out there with similar stories....
ditto for me actually..i also wanted to pursue MD ob-gyn (!!) but I volunteered at a hospital and I really disliked the atmosphere and the relationships the doctors had with nurses and patients alike. not to say that an experience in a private practice wouldn't have been different, but this initial reaction steered me away from MD. I found out about OD in my physics class, shadowed, and loved it. the rest, as they say, is history.

Members don't see this ad :)
ditto for me actually..i also wanted to pursue MD ob-gyn (!!) but I volunteered at a hospital and I really disliked the atmosphere and the relationships the doctors had with nurses and patients alike. not to say that an experience in a private practice wouldn't have been different, but this initial reaction steered me away from MD. I found out about OD in my physics class, shadowed, and loved it. the rest, as they say, is history.

I've always wondered who "they" are.

I graduated Pre-Med (yes that was the major) with a very high GPA. I too just liked optometry better and the flow of the practice. My med school choices were dermatology and ophthalmology. I still think dermatology is intersting, but not as much as optometry.