Anyone work at Sam's Club?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

All4MyDaughter

SDN Mommystrator
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was shopping at Sam's this week and was checking out the pharmacy.

They close by 7 p.m. every night, 6 p.m. on Saturday and are closed Sunday. No drive thru. Closed 1/2 hour every day for lunch.

Didn't seem to be all that busy. I didn't go up to the pharmacist but I wanted to ask him how he liked his job. I may do that the next time.

Anyone have any experience with Sam's or any insights about working there?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't work at Sams but one of my classmates do. There is only one pharmacist and tech/intern per day. At her store, they fill about 30 scripts per day. She said it is very boring but very very very easy and the pay is the same as Wal-Mart pharmacists, which is about $49/hr here in my state. She loves it though, it giveas her and the pharmacist time to talk with every single patient without feeling rushed.

htyotispharm said:
I don't work at Sams but one of my classmates do. There is only one pharmacist and tech/intern per day. At her store, they fill about 30 scripts per day. She said it is very boring but very very very easy and the pay is the same as Wal-Mart pharmacists, which is about $49/hr here in my state. She loves it though, it giveas her and the pharmacist time to talk with every single patient without feeling rushed.

That's kinda how it looked to me too.
It looked pretty good, honestly!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wal-mart also closes for 30 min for the pharmacist to have lunch. If there are two pharmacists working then they stay open and take turns taking lunch. I thought that was nice when I first started working.

All4MyDaughter said:

They close by 7 p.m. every night, 6 p.m. on Saturday and are closed Sunday. No drive thru. Closed 1/2 hour every day for lunch.

Didn't seem to be all that busy. I didn't go up to the pharmacist but I wanted to ask him how he liked his job. I may do that the next time.

I had a rotation there last year. I liked it. The Sam's I was at was near a retirement community so they did about 80% cash, which was nice not dealing with insurance companies. They filled about 150 a day with a high of about 200 on Mondays. It was a real easy pace.

The computer system is the same one as Walmart, which I feel is probably the second best one out there behind Walgreens. It was very easy to use and is linked to other stores for transfers and stuff similar to Walgreens. They still have a ways to go to catch the Wags system, but at least they are working on it and improving it.

I will seriously consider them when I graduate here in a year. If I can get a job at Sams, I will probably take it to not have to work on Sunday which I would like. Also, you can pick up any extra shifts at walmart or their neighborhood markets, and there were plenty avail. here in Phoenix. Costco also doesn't open on Sunday, and people seem to like to work there, but I have to think there are less shifts avail. for overtime there since they are limited in the amount of stores they have here in the metro area to ten or so. Walmart has enough stores to work whenever you want, like Walgreens.

It was pretty kick-back there, but busy enough to stay interested in the day.

Jeddevil said:
I had a rotation there last year. I liked it. The Sam's I was at was near a retirement community so they did about 80% cash, which was nice not dealing with insurance companies. They filled about 150 a day with a high of about 200 on Mondays. It was a real easy pace.

The computer system is the same one as Walmart, which I feel is probably the second best one out there behind Walgreens. It was very easy to use and is linked to other stores for transfers and stuff similar to Walgreens. They still have a ways to go to catch the Wags system, but at least they are working on it and improving it.

I will seriously consider them when I graduate here in a year. If I can get a job at Sams, I will probably take it to not have to work on Sunday which I would like. Also, you can pick up any extra shifts at walmart or their neighborhood markets, and there were plenty avail. here in Phoenix. Costco also doesn't open on Sunday, and people seem to like to work there, but I have to think there are less shifts avail. for overtime there since they are limited in the amount of stores they have here in the metro area to ten or so. Walmart has enough stores to work whenever you want, like Walgreens.

It was pretty kick-back there, but busy enough to stay interested in the day.

I am a Wal-Mart tech/intern and I'm currently doing my community rotation at Walgreens. Although there are some nice things about their system (very few in my opinion), I think Wal-Mart's is soo much easier to use. Walgreen's system doesn't seem that efficient to me.

I am currently a tech in training/intern at Wal-mart. I dont have my intern lic yet, start P1 this fall, so I am not going to take the tech test. However they pay me a deal more than a tech cause I have been accepted. I have been there just over three weeks. I cant compare their system to another, but I can say that I dont see how a system could be much easier. I love it. I dont have a problem with the rude customers, my thought is that we will help you as much as possible(i.e. insurance stuff), and get you your meds as soon as we can. Thats it. Just as an earlier poster stated the pharmacists take turns going to lunch, or close for lunch whichever the case. My initial feeling about Wal-Mart-----not a bad way to make a living ;) The RPH's at my store get a lot of consults, questions about everything from rashes, burns, to "my eyes water too much". I think its cool. The system is the same for SAMS and Wal, so you can go just about anywhere in the country and stay in the same system. I remeber being told that Wal-Mart will be opening 230 stores this year alone :eek: Thats enough jobs for three of four pharmacy school classes :D LOL LOL

Sam's and Walmart are the same, my DM is in charge of both in his district. I used to work from 9am to 7pm but we recently extanded our hours from 9am to 9pm. i actually prefer 9-9 because i work less days each week. It's awesome working at walmart. who can complain about half an hour lunch?? I worked/did my clinical rotations at different pharmacies before and i have to say walmart has a pretty good computer system. It is annoying sometimes but its very good at keeping track of where a prescription is in the filling process.

Bumping this because I am thinking about applying for a PIC position at Sam's. Has it changed since this thread was posted in 2006?

Female classmate of mine dropped her Drug Warehouse job for a Sam's Club PIC position. She absolutely loves it.

I did my service learning at Sam's Club. The pharmacist LOVES his job there. It's slow and very relaxing.

Sam's Club and Costco are the best retail chains to work for. If you can get either one you are golden. :)

Bad news is very hard to get a position.

Thanks everyone for the input.

What is the best way to get hooked up with them?

Try to intern there next summer?

Anyone done their twelve week internship?

I thought you prefer the hospital?

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted this thread in 2006 and I do NOT work in a hospital setting. :confused:

Wow, I am sorry. I didn't see the date. I thought it was posted today! lol...

I always imagine you working in the hospital...I can't see you doing retail. You seem more like a clinical pharmacist to me which is a great thing. I wish I can get a hospital position.

Bumping this because I am thinking about applying for a PIC position at Sam's. Has it changed since this thread was posted in 2006?

That would be really cool if things are still the same at SAM's. All the good things posted about Target are changing for the worse. We only have one SAM's in the area. I was there one day and saw the tech sitting there. I almost got mad :smuggrin: I guess mostly I was stressed out working alone the day before. Anyway, maybe she was just on her break :laugh:

I did my service learning at Sam's Club. The pharmacist LOVES his job there. It's slow and very relaxing.

Sam's Club and Costco are the best retail chains to work for. If you can get either one you are golden. :)

Bad news is very hard to get a position.

That's so good to hear :) at least one/those couple places are still pleasant to work for. I still think that I made the right decision to quit CVS, but I'm not working at the best place either. I'm kind of sick of talking about Target right now. I guess I'm the type of person who is willing give up my lunch to help a stranger than putting up with big corporations :mad:

Wow, I am sorry. I didn't see the date. I thought it was posted today! lol...

I always imagine you working in the hospital...I can't see you doing retail. You seem more like a clinical pharmacist to me which is a great thing. I wish I can get a hospital position.

Well, there ARE settings other than hospital and retail. You don't remember any of my recent posts about starting my own MTM business? You've replied to several of them.

Well, there ARE settings other than hospital and retail. You don't remember any of my recent posts about starting my own MTM business? You've replied to several of them.

You started your own MTM business? Is this in conjunction with a group like McKesson or a university?

Yeah I knew you own your own business. :) Didn't you use to intern at a hospital? Do you work for them part-time now? I know people that own their own business (and therefore can work at home mainly) and also take part-time jobs elsewhere.

Nope...nothing has changed since 2006....Still offering a big sign-on bonus I bet!

I'm not referring to retail and pharmacy in general, I'm referring to Sam's no longer being one of the best places to work in retail, smart ass. Just like Target used to be the place that everyone wanted to work at, but now it seems it's no longer true based on the posts about Target on this forum.

I'm not referring to retail and pharmacy in general, I'm referring to Sam's no longer being one of the best places to work in retail, smart ass. Just like Target used to be the place that everyone wanted to work at, but now it seems it's no longer true based on the posts about Target on this forum.

I heard Sam's Club and Costco are the best retail chains to work for. If it's not then what is?

Yeah I knew you own your own business. :) Didn't you use to intern at a hospital? Do you work for them part-time now? I know people that own their own business (and therefore can work at home mainly) and also take part-time jobs elsewhere.

The MTM business will be my main source of income, but I have some other projects including one day a week consulting (writing, editing and editorial management), some relief staffing (independent pharmacy, a few days a month at most), and teaching a pharmacology class to MSN students at a local university.

How did you go about starting it?

Filed paperwork with the state (Articles of Incorporation), obtained tax ID numbers (federal, state, local), got insurance policy, obtained PBM contract, hired some interns to do the patient interviews since I was still a resident, etc.

Yeah, was it hard getting the loan for the start up cost? I am just wondering myself. :)

I just gave myself $500 from our personal funds for expenses. There weren't very many start up costs. Mainly supplies and insurance.

The MTM business will be my main source of income, but I have some other projects including one day a week consulting (writing, editing and editorial management), some relief staffing (independent pharmacy, a few days a month at most), and teaching a pharmacology class to MSN students at a local university.

Filed paperwork with the state (Articles of Incorporation), obtained tax ID numbers (federal, state, local), got insurance policy, obtained PBM contract, hired some interns to do the patient interviews since I was still a resident, etc.

I just gave myself $500 from our personal funds for expenses. There weren't very many start up costs. Mainly supplies and insurance.

The teaching pharmacology to nurses sounds like a really sweet gig :thumbup:

Sounds like you are doing great!!! :thumbup: Hope your son is doing well too. :) My cousin has a 4 yo boy and man he is hyper...I babysit him one day and I am scared of little boys now. lol...

How are you obtaining the patients? Through a doctors office or local pharmacies. I'm fascinated by this now. Must take a lot of effort in the marketing department right?

I heard Sam's Club and Costco are the best retail chains to work for. If it's not then what is?

As a person who works for Costco as a CPht/Pre-Pharm I can tell you that there is no other company I would want to be a Pharmacist then Costco. I got SUPER lucky that I got a job as a CPhT. Especially for my age. Being that all my coworkers are a minimum of 11-12 years older then me. Ive never worked for a company that treats their employees so well. Their benefits, hours, vacation, 401k, and of course the pay. For Gods sake, a pharm tech makes $21.50. Just imagine what a Pharmacist makes. But like everybody says, once you get a job there, nobody ever leaves. All the pharmacist I work for have been there for minimum of 12 years and will not go anywhere else until retired.

My goal is to continue working there as a CPhT, go to pharmacy school, work there during the summers as an intern, become a PharmD, and get picked up by the company as a staff pharmacist as a replacement.

Sams Club and BJs are similar to Costco. All three are great places to work as a pharmacist, but there is no better place then Costco imo. Obvious bias coming from one of their pharmacy employees.

Last edited:
No. I have a contract with a PBM. I use their platform. I get my patients from them. I'm not sure what's unclear.

Lol sorry, I'm just making sure I understand you. It's a different model from what I've seen. The MTM business I know just buys out local independents MTM to use.

As a person who works for Costco as a CPht/Pre-Pharm I can tell you that there is no other company I would want to be a Pharmacist then Costco. I got SUPER lucky that I got a job as a CPhT. Especially for my age. Being that all my coworkers are a minimum of 11-12 years older then me. Ive never worked for a company that treats their employees so well. Their benefits, hours, vacation, 401k, and of course the pay. For Gods sake, a pharm tech makes $21.50. Just imagine what a Pharmacist makes. But like everybody says, once you get a job there, nobody ever leaves. All the pharmacist I work for have been there for minimum of 12 years and will not go anywhere else until retired.

My goal is to continue working there as a CPhT, go to pharmacy school, work there during the summers as an intern, become a PharmD, and get picked up by the company as a staff pharmacist as a replacement.

Sams Club and BJs are similar to Costco. All three are great places to work as a pharmacist, but there is no better place then Costco imo. Obvious bias coming from one of their pharmacy employees.

Enjoy it while it lasts! It will not be long before the corporate bean counter start ****ing things up for you too. I wouldn't be surprised to see places like Costco, Sam's Club and Target get out of the pharmacy business all together.

Enjoy it while it lasts! It will not be long before the corporate bean counter start ****ing things up for you too. I wouldn't be surprised to see places like Costco, Sam's Club and Target get out of the pharmacy business all together.

It wouldn't surprise me...I am curious as to why you believe this will happen.

Seriously?! That's the highest pharm tech salary I've ever seen for a community/retail chain. :eek:
To be fair Costco is more of a hybrid, not a retail only setting like Walgreens. But yes, that is their current pay and it increases by 0.25-0.50 every year. Not to mention their 2 times a year 4-5K bonus checks :confused: No wonder some techs have been there for 20+ years.

Oh I will :) Seeing as how you are so concerned about how I am doing in my job, I will constantly update every time I get a chance on how well it is going.

the two folks I've seen quit Sams Club were for general retail reasons. One got a desk clinical job and the other went to independent pharmacy for M-F 8-5 hrs sit-down job. That was it! I'd put the warehouse pharmacies at the top (a relic of what most retails USED to be and not dependent on volume/No. of Rxs)

hey does anyone know how much a pharmacy intern make at Sam's club?