AOA/ACGME merger and DO surgical residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For what it's worth, the SFMatch finally released interesting data. Out of 20 DO's who applied to Ophtho, 5 got in. That's 5 in the country. Just some perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
For what it's worth, the SFMatch finally released interesting data. Out of 20 DO's who applied to Ophtho, 5 got in. That's 5 in the country. Just some perspective.

So one could say that DOs have a 25% chance of matching ophtho if they apply? Numbers never lie, but they sure can be misleading so now I must ask what how many MDs both applied and matched to ophtho because without that information the perspective is skewed.

So one could say that DOs have a 25% chance of matching ophtho if they apply? Numbers never lie, but they sure can be misleading so now I must ask what how many MDs both applied and matched to ophtho because without that information the perspective is skewed.

https://www.sfmatch.org/PDFFilesDisplay/Ophthalmology_Residency_Stats_2017.pdf

19 osteopathic seniors participated, 5 matched (26%)
472 allopathic seniors participated, 418 matched (89%)

Of course, we need more data to tease out any bias. The fact that only 19 participate is interesting. The SF Match is early enough so that one wouldn't have to forgo the DO match to participate, unlike for other competitive specialties. However, you'd still have to participate in the NRMP to get your intern year. Lot's of moving parts, seems like an application nightmare.

We also don't know anything DO or MD specific, like Step 1 score, aways, LORs, publications etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Of course, we need more data to tease out any bias. The fact that only 19 participate is interesting. The SF Match is early enough so that one wouldn't have to forgo the DO match to participate, unlike for other competitive specialties. However, you'd still have to participate in the NRMP to get your intern year. Lot's of moving parts, seems like an application nightmare.

We also don't know anything DO or MD specific, like Step 1 score, aways, LORs, publications etc.

Thank you for providing that information! It's much clearer now.

I would speculate that the average Step score is higher for the DOs considering only 19 in the country felt they had a shot. That's all I'll speculate on.

I think the bigger question is does that 19 include or not include ~9 who matched AOA Optho and were withdrawn? Just to be a little more optimistic, the actual match rate might be 5/10 as opposed to 5/19.

I think the bigger question is does that 19 include or not include ~9 who matched AOA Optho and were withdrawn? Just to be a little more optimistic, the actual match rate might be 5/10 as opposed to 5/19.

Per the data there were 34 who registered and 19 who participated in the match, meaning those 19 likely hadn't matched AOA Optho.

Pretty low. I always assumed it was closer to 50% for DO student since it seems like Optho is on the decline.

Per the data there were 34 who registered and 19 who participated in the match, meaning those 19 likely hadn't matched AOA Optho.

The SF match happens before the AOA match. They could have not matched SF and still matched AOA.

Reactions: 1 user
I also wonder how many ranks those DOs had in the SF match. Its possible a lot of them were splitting their efforts with the AOA match, and couldn't interview at as many places, which would likely adversely affect their chances. It's honestly hard to tell. Hopefully we'll have a better idea in 2020.

I have to be honest, I don't know what its like at other schools, but at mine it was really hard to do on very many interviews. With really competitive specialties, you can't afford to cancel/turn down invites as a DO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Pretty low. I always assumed it was closer to 50% for DO student since it seems like Optho is on the decline.

Last year it was 41% so your not far off. The problem is that we are seeing small numbers of DOs applying to these field, thus a sporadic percentage of matching. There are also a lot of confounding element also (ex. did they only take the COMLEX, applied to a lot of pro-MD residencies, not much research). It is surprising to see a good chunk of them apply with lower than average applications, these not all 10+ above the mean USMLE scoring DOs.

Reactions: 3 users
Last year it was 41% so your not far off. The problem is that we are seeing small numbers of DOs applying to these field, thus a sporadic percentage of matching. There are also a lot of confounding element also (ex. did they only take the COMLEX, applied to a lot of pro-MD residencies, not much research). It is surprising to see a good chunk of them apply with lower than average applications, these not all 10+ above the mean USMLE scoring DOs.

The lack of statistical power and the presence of confounders does indeed make the data very difficult to interpret. Almost pointless to try.

Just do AOA ortho. I promise you that your high school classmates will be just as impressed at the high school reunion I know you are so desperately looking forward to.