AOA intern year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemed1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year DO student and will be applying to ACGME radiology programs this year. Are AOA intern programs accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Although I don't have an official answer, I would stick with acgme only programs at this point. No reason to risk screwing yourself over later on even if it is a small/remote chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
100% Yes AOA programs are accepted.

I know folks from several years back that did aoa internships and then did acgme rads programs but according to the current ABR website (see above) your intern year must be acgme or rcpsc accredited...aoa is not mentioned. I don't know how you guys are defining "accepted" but the ABR is the body that will board certify you and according to their current website they do NOT include aoa prelim years. Not being abr board certified would lead to "acceptance" issues in your future career endeavors. I would make sure that you have confirmation from the abr, in writing, that they accept aoa prelim years.

If anyone finds further info on this please let me know as I get asked this same question fairly often.

I know in the past two years approximately 9 people including myself who did AOA internships and went on to radiology, anesthesiology, and pm&r without any difficulty. In one case, the person emailed the ABR specifically and they approved his intern year in writing. I can't see how they would allow you to go into ACGME residencies such as Cleveland Clinic, Johns Hopkins, and Emory as 3 of the 9 people did in different fields and not board certify you later. It's my understanding that AOA years count and since you are doing an ACGME residency then they will allow you to be board certified just like all the others. Not to mention with the merger programs have been applying for pre-accreditation and are technically under the ACGME umbrella now.
If concerned, then just email the ABR. Last year I remember the website saying AOA year as well as ACGME or RCPSC. They may have just updated their website because with the merger the AOA designation is technically going away.