AOA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UHS03

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does one have to do to get AOA? I don't mean American Osteopathic Association
smile.gif
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You are talkinga bout Alpha Omega Alpha... you have to be in a MD school. It is the honor society for MD schools...

they say this is highly recommended for competitive residencies like surgery. Does this mean that DO's have even less of a chance at getting an ACGME program in these areas because of this? Is there a DO equivalent that anyone knows of?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, there is a DO equivalent. Ask Dr. Tuttle (pharm dept.) and he will tell you all you need to know about it. You have to be in the top 10% of your first year and second year class and you join by invitation only. This is not sigma sigma phi..

So what is the DO equivalent of AOA?

Tim of New York City.

Dude, you don't need to be in an honors fraternity to get into surgery? Uhhh, that is pretty far down the list of necessities. Board scores and rotating at the place where you want to go are probably the two biggest things. Let me take that back, the biggest thing is "knowing people" and them knowing how hard you are willing to work. Not if you are in sigma sigma phi. Don't let your classmates feed you that junk. Who do you trust, someone you have worked with and you KNOW they do a good job, or someone whom you don't know but they are in sigma sigma phi??

I certainly wasn't basing that on what classmates tell me. I was reading at the medschool.com site about various specialties. All of the competitive specialties they say AOA strongly recommended or AOA essential. I know that there are many other important things, but I was just curious about this in particular. Thanks for the response.