AOBIM exam experience post-test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flaquitabonita

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who has taken the AOBIM exam within the past few years comment on the structure. On the website the only details I could find were 320 questions in 7 hours. How does that break down in terms of timing and number of blocks? How much break time is there? Does the timer keep counting during breaks? Is there a reference for normal lab values? Is there a calculator within the exam? Can you cross out answer choices or highlight within the exam? Do you get scratch paper or a white board to make calculations? Any other info about the structure that might be helpful to know.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The test was ridiculous - it was two blocks of 160 questions (I kid you not) with no breaks except for the one in the middle for lunch. I don't remember how long the break is but the clock keeps ticking - you have an "overall exam time" of XX minutes (I don't remember exactly how many) including the tutorial, questions and break (singular).

There is a calculator and normal reference values but I did not have to use either during my exam. They won't give you a question where a calcium of 10.1 being abnormal is the make or break point if the upper limit of normal for calcium on the exam is 10.0. It was all obvious stuff like a Ca of 11.2 which is always going to be abnormal.

You do get scratch paper.

You can highlight and cross out but the system to do so isn't at all user friendly so these were two features I did not use (it is nothing like the cross out and highlight feature on the COMLEX, USMLE or ABIM exam).

That's pretty much it. The exam was horrible because of the 160q blocks. And candidly I don't usually take breaks during exams but it was the psychological part of seeing question 2 of 160 that burned me. I think I stood up to stretch for 10 minutes during the one break I did get.

I took it Sept 2018.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just so I can possibly counsel some future DO, what circumstances “force” one to take ABOIM instead of ABIM?

Any DO who graduates an IM residency can sit for the ABOIM boards. If you graduated from an AOA residency you have no choice, but if you graduated from an ACGME residency (so everyone matching 2020 and beyond) you can take ABIM instead.

Just so I can possibly counsel some future DO, what circumstances “force” one to take ABOIM instead of ABIM?

If the resident graduated from a residency that is not yet ACGME accredited, they would have no choice but to take ABOIM. If they are a DO graduating from an ACGME program, they have the choice to take either or both. The cost of ABIM is $1410, while the ABOIM is only $800. One may prefer the maintenance of certification path for one or the other, which could weigh in on the decision as well.

Haven taken the COMLEX, I would try my best to never take anything that was written by lobotomised monkeys ever again.

MD residency also makes it easier to get into MD fellowship.

But I supposed after the merger these issues wont be an issue

What tools/materials you used for studying?! The same ABIM like MKSAP or MedStudy?!
The test was ridiculous - it was two blocks of 160 questions (I kid you not) with no breaks except for the one in the middle for lunch. I don't remember how long the break is but the clock keeps ticking - you have an "overall exam time" of XX minutes (I don't remember exactly how many) including the tutorial, questions and break (singular).

There is a calculator and normal reference values but I did not have to use either during my exam. They won't give you a question where a calcium of 10.1 being abnormal is the make or break point if the upper limit of normal for calcium on the exam is 10.0. It was all obvious stuff like a Ca of 11.2 which is always going to be abnormal.

You do get scratch paper.

You can highlight and cross out but the system to do so isn't at all user friendly so these were two features I did not use (it is nothing like the cross out and highlight feature on the COMLEX, USMLE or ABIM exam).

That's pretty much it. The exam was horrible because of the 160q blocks. And candidly I don't usually take breaks during exams but it was the psychological part of seeing question 2 of 160 that burned me. I think I stood up to stretch for 10 minutes during the one break I did get.

I took it Sept 2018.

What tools/materials you used for studying?! The same ABIM like MKSAP or MedStudy?!

I did MKSAP and uWorld. My primary studying was for the ABIM and I took this exam as an afterthought for certain career opportunities. It worked out no problem.

Reactions: 1 users
I did MKSAP and uWorld. My primary studying was for the ABIM and I took this exam as an afterthought for certain career opportunities. It worked out no problem.
Thank you, but as I read, the MedStudy questions are closer to the actual AOBIM exam and the MKSAP questions closer to the ABIM exam, is that correct?

Thank you, but as I read, the MedStudy questions are closer to the actual AOBIM exam and the MKSAP questions closer to the ABIM exam, is that correct?
I can't help you there as I never looked at MedStudy. I looked at it the same way I looked at the COMLEX - at the end of the day if you learned FA/UWorld for Step 1 it was going to apply enough to Level 1 to make it a walk in the park. That being said MedStudy may be better for AOBIM, I don't know

Reactions: 1 user