AP courses on AMCAS application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ruar12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would appreciate some clarification on what AP courses to list on the application. I have read the 2019 AMCAS application guide, and this is what it says:

On page 16:

College-Level Courses Taken while in Middle and High School
Many students attempt college-level courses while still in middle and high school. The courses primarily fall into the following categories:
• Advanced Placement (AP) Prep Courses/Exams Unless a U.S. or Canadian postsecondary institution has granted credit for an AP course or an AP exam, such information should not be listed on the application. If credit has been granted, courses/exams should be listed according to the instructions regarding AP credit.

From here I take it that unless the undergraduate institution has granted credit for an AP course, it should NOT be listed on the application. Also, AP courses are considered "College-level courses".

But on page 25 it says:

When entering coursework, you must include information and corresponding grades for every course in which you have ever enrolled in any U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian postsecondary institution, regardless of whether you earned credit. Coursework includes, but is not limited to, the following:

• College-level courses you took while in middle or high school even if no college counted them toward a degree

This seems to suggest that ALL AP courses (College-level courses) must be entered even if no college counted them toward a degree.

Both seem contradictory to me.

Thanks for any clarifications.

Members don't see this ad.

I would appreciate some clarification on what AP courses to list on the application. I have read the 2019 AMCAS application guide, and this is what it says:

On page 16:

College-Level Courses Taken while in Middle and High School
Many students attempt college-level courses while still in middle and high school. The courses primarily fall into the following categories:
• Advanced Placement (AP) Prep Courses/Exams Unless a U.S. or Canadian postsecondary institution has granted credit for an AP course or an AP exam, such information should not be listed on the application. If credit has been granted, courses/exams should be listed according to the instructions regarding AP credit.

From here I take it that unless the undergraduate institution has granted credit for an AP course, it should NOT be listed on the application. Also, AP courses are considered "College-level courses".

But on page 25 it says:

When entering coursework, you must include information and corresponding grades for every course in which you have ever enrolled in any U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian postsecondary institution, regardless of whether you earned credit. Coursework includes, but is not limited to, the following:

• College-level courses you took while in middle or high school even if no college counted them toward a degree

This seems to suggest that ALL AP courses (College-level courses) must be entered even if no college counted them toward a degree.

Both seem contradictory to me.

Thanks for any clarifications.
The difference is that you were not "enrolled in any U.S., U.S. Territorial, or Canadian postsecondary institution" when you took an AP class in HS. So when filling out the AMCAS transcript, you only include information that appears on a college transcript. If AP credit isn't awarded by a college, it isn't significant to the med school application process.

Thanks for the clarification.
I guess it would have been explicit if the guide clearly stated, on page 25, that AP courses are not to be included, unless they are on a college transcript, as the student would have taken these courses while in HS and could not have been enrolled in any college etc. to take them.

Thanks for the clarification.
I guess it would have been explicit if the guide clearly stated, on page 25, that AP courses are not to be included, unless they are on a college transcript, as the student would have taken these courses while in HS and could not have been enrolled in any college etc. to take them.
If they had made an effort to vary the vocabulary words used, it wouldn't have been so confusing.