APA Accreditation "On probation"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychanator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question I'm hoping some of you may be able to answer....

In reviewing the APA's list of accredited programs, I noticed that some schools are "On probation". I read a little bit about the accreditation process, but I was wondering what this means about a program (practically speaking, what generally causes a program to not meet the standards)? Also, do most schools on probation generally receive reaccreditation?

I'm sure this information varies by school, but I was hoping some of you may be able to provide some insight.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a question I'm hoping some of you may be able to answer....

In reviewing the APA's list of accredited programs, I noticed that some schools are "On probation". I read a little bit about the accreditation process, but I was wondering what this means about a program (practically speaking, what generally causes a program to not meet the standards)? Also, do most schools on probation generally receive accreditation?

I'm sure this information varies by school, but I was hoping some of you may be able to provide some insight.

Thank you!

"Probation" isn't a precursor to full accredidation. Probation means they had it, but are now deficient in an area, and if thats not fixed within X amount of time, they will lose it.

Thank you, erg923. I meant to type "reaccreditation" :).

Members don't see this ad :)
Re-acred. happens every 3-7 years, that is normal. As long as the program has been in good standing, re-acred. shouldn't be a concern for a prospective student. "On Probation" is an entirely different animal, and it is quite the red flag. It takes *a lot* to be placed on probation because the APA providers a number of opportunities to remediate before they get stuck with the "on probation" label.

Thank you, Therapist4Chnge!

Yes, I was curious to know about what probation says about a program and how it may affect a the reaccreditation process. It does seem like a red flag. Is is appropriate to ask about this, in say an interview? Are there types of things that generally warrant such a "probation" status?

Thanks for your help!

Some programs--CUNY, for example--will list on their website why they are on probation but not all will do this. I think all have to direct you to somewhere (usually a phone number and/or email) to ask about it, though.

Thank you, Therapist4Chnge!

Yes, I was curious to know about what probation says about a program and how it may affect a the reaccreditation process. It does seem like a red flag. Is is appropriate to ask about this, in say an interview? Are there types of things that generally warrant such a "probation" status?

Thanks for your help!

I'd definitely say it's fair game to ask during an interview, and I'd be very wary if a site attempted to gloss over the question by providing a cursory response. And if they were for some reason offended or upset at my asking, that'd be big red flag #2.

Just curious as to the reason a school might voluntarily withdraw their application for accreditation? I saw this for Seattle campus of Antioch University, and it has me a bit concerned.

Just curious as to the reason a school might voluntarily withdraw their application for accreditation? I saw this for Seattle campus of Antioch University, and it has me a bit concerned.

Usually because it's been conveyed to them that they won't likely meet accreditation standards at the current time.

I'd definitely say it's fair game to ask during an interview, and I'd be very wary if a site attempted to gloss over the question by providing a cursory response. And if they were for some reason offended or upset at my asking, that'd be big red flag #2.

Although I agree, I honestly don't think most applicants would catch on to programs glossing over or providing a cursory response to such a question (as I don't think many grad students respond to such bullsh*t--from personal experience). :smuggrin:

Although I agree, I honestly don't think most applicants would catch on to programs glossing over or providing a cursory response to such a question (as I don't think many grad students respond to such bullsh*t--from personal experience). :smuggrin:

Haha duly noted, although personally, even if I didn't actually respond, I'd definitely make a mental note if the response seemed at all shallow/superficial.