APA Accredited Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WannaBPsyd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a university state on their website that they are APA Accredited when they are not? Obviously there are ethical issues with why this is wrong, but I'm not sure if this is strictly regulated. Is it common for universities to state this when they are not? Can you check accreditation on the APA website? I ask because there have been universities that state they are APA Accredited, but not on the APA website.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The only situation I could imagine this getting confusing is if a program said they were accredited and the APA website said they were on probation- technically if they are on probation they are still accredited I think. But if they are not accredited at all and claiming they are, yes I'm sure there could be some serious ramifications for that.

Reactions: 1 user
The only situation I could imagine this getting confusing is if a program said they were accredited and the APA website said they were on probation- technically if they are on probation they are still accredited I think. But if they are not accredited at all and claiming they are, yes I'm sure there could be some serious ramifications for that.
Programs that are accredited and on probation are required to specifically and explicitly list themselves as such.

Reactions: 1 users
There is sometimes a lag when a program is newly accredited. The APA site sometimes takes a bit to catch up.

True, and then there is APA-accredited on contingency. That's essentially saying that they have met most of the steps of accreditation but are waiting for some data, such as a cohort to finish so they can send outcome data to APA for the last step of the process. So, generally newer programs. If you finish a program/internship while someone is on contingency, you have completed an accredited program/internship as per the APA AOP. Pretty much the things I'd stay away from are the non accredited and the on probation. Big red flags there.

I'd go by the APA accredited program list referenced above. For programs you're considering that aren't on that list, you can contact someone in the program and ask why not, being respectful in your tone, when their website states they are. Other prospective students will have this question, and it's not that difficult to update a website when the question is a pretty big one like this.

I run an APA accredited internship located at a university. At one point someone on the academic side of things got confused and listed one of the psychology programs as APA accredited. As soon as staff of the program realized what happened they worked diligently to clarify that the accreditation belonged to our internship not to their program.

It was a cluster****.