APA report of median full-time salaries of doctoral-level psychologists (2001)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psi123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It might already be floating around somewhere on this forum, but just thought I'd bump it up and share it :)

http://research.apa.org/doctoralsal02.html

Members don't see this ad.

Keep in mind, faculty salaries are listed as 9-month. Which helps me feel a LITTLE better about my decision.

Also, they didn't break it down by type of school. Doctoral level research schools pay a LOT better than say, a community college. Actually in some cases almost double.

Members don't see this ad :)
It might already be floating around somewhere on this forum, but just thought I'd bump it up and share it :)

http://research.apa.org/doctoralsal02.html

Why are you posting 7 year old data when recent data are available?

from payscale.com:
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Degree=Ph.D._Psychology/Salary

APA:
http://research.apa.org/facsal06/t02.pdf

SimplyHired:
http://www.simplyhired.com/a/salary/search/q-psychologist

Salary.com:
http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layouthtmls/swzl_compresult_national_HC07000044.html

All these findings paint a slightly better picture for psychologists than the first link.

I also take comfort in knowing that the mediocre are included in these figures, and I have no intention of being mediocre. ;)

Wow. Still fairly unimpressive. I make 30% more now only working 2/3 time as a master's level clinician. I may have to keep my license in good standing to supplement my income--if I still reside in my state.

When I go on internship in about a year as a CPT in the Army-

0-3E with 6 years prior service Base Pay 4602.00/Month
Basic Allowance for Sustinence 192.74 (Not taxed)
Basic Allowance for Housing (Ft. Lewis WA) 1522.00 (Not taxed)

Total- $6316.74 Gross

Thats $75,300.88 per year, as an intern. Join the Army, hooah.

When I go on internship in about a year as a CPT in the Army-

0-3E with 6 years prior service Base Pay 4602.00/Month
Basic Allowance for Sustinence 192.74 (Not taxed)
Basic Allowance for Housing (Ft. Lewis WA) 1522.00 (Not taxed)

Total- $6316.74 Gross

Thats $75,300.88 per year, as an intern. Join the Army, hooah.

Muahahaha, I've actually been considering it lately. :D I still have a few too many years to go prior to internship, however, so we shall see what happens between now & then.

The armed forces pay the best....by far. $45k+, they have good benefits too. There is the whole 'enlistment' thing, but if you were going that route anyway, it'd be a no-brainer to go for one of their sites. My buddy did the navy internship a few years ago and really really liked it. They offered him some assurances with training and whatnot, but that stuff is always TBD, so that is always something to think about.

Forensic/ Federal Prison sites pay very too. Most everything else has poor stipends.

My irony is that the two places I'd least want to practice pay the most. :rolleyes:

-t

The armed forces pay the best....by far. $45k+, they have good benefits too. There is the whole 'enlistment' thing, but if you were going that route anyway, it'd be a no-brainer to go for one of their sites. My buddy did the navy internship a few years ago and really really liked it. They offered him some assurances with training and whatnot, but that stuff is always TBD, so that is always something to think about.

Forensic/ Federal Prison sites pay very too. Most everything else has poor stipends.

My irony is that the two places I'd least want to practice pay the most. :rolleyes:

-t

Yeppers. When searching the APPIC database previously just for the hey of it, I noticed that military sites, followed by federal prison sites, were the most well paid. My interests could fit into either easily, so it's definitely something to think about when the time comes around.

Of course, there were OTHER sites that also caught my eye who were paying next to nothing. Makes me wonder if people applying to those are either (a) really desperate, or (b) just extremely interested in that particular site. I gripe about my current salary, but some of the listed sites would be a new low, even compared to positions I had prior to entering college.

Ah, well--as mentioned previously, I have a few more years yet, so I shall refrain from freaking out until then. :smuggrin:

-t

This is generally true of everyone. Very few psychologists want to enlist in the military or work in a prison, so the pay is higher. Simple supply and demand.

Everyone is (rightly) scared of being shipped overseas to a war-zone, or to be attacked by a antisocial convict. I've heard instances of both happening. They don't pay these people enough, in my opinion.

I actually saw a clinical psychologist job ad the other day that started with "Tired of working in a prison?" I kid you not. :rolleyes:

This is generally true of everyone. Very few psychologists want to enlist in the military or work in a prison, so the pay is higher. Simple supply and demand.

Everyone is (rightly) scared of being shipped overseas to a war-zone, or to be attacked by a antisocial convict. I've heard instances of both happening. They don't pay these people enough, in my opinion.

I actually saw a clinical psychologist job ad the other day that started with "Tired of working in a prison?" I kid you not. :rolleyes:

First of all you are not enlisting in the military, you are being appointed as an officer... There is a HUGE difference. Although you can (and likely will) get deployed, you are not exactly being given a rifle and being told to take that hill.

It is true not everyone is cut out for the military. I wouldn't want to try to sell anyone on that or the money that they offer. This is something you do because you enjoy the people in the military and what you do as a psychologist.

I actually intended to go back into the military either as an intern or by getting into USUHS. I was fortunate, I got in at USUHS. It's a great deal for those who want to do it. It would be a miserable deal for those who are anti-military in their thinking.

Mark

This topic has been covered every few months here, and I think the best take-away is this: You can make as much as you are willing to work (within reason). Specialization allows for a greater (in general) ability to make more money. People don't get into the profession to make a lot of money, but you can make a nice living for yourself.

I think think what is great about a clinical degree is the amount of flexibility you have with your work. I know I can always go back to my old career, but with the flexibility of this training, I have a great opportunity to work in multiple areas within the field.

-t