APA Style Confusion...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LovinPsych

Psychologist2B
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm climbing the walls here . I start my first class this Tuesday . I am going through the material and I've found out of course that everything must be written APA style so I am like okay sure I can do this...I read...and read...and read...and I can't seem to get it fully . :( I want to get this down because if I botch up the style of writing for my first essay or any for that matter , a chunk of my grade will get knocked off . Well I can't have that ! So I need to know , I know how to do the APA style for research papers . But how do I do APA style for an essay ? My first assignment is writing an autobiography but it has to be in the APA style format and following other criteria listed that I have already read . Am I supposed to write a title page , abstract , main body , and references for an essay too ? If so how and what are references when it comes to an autobiography ? :confused:

Stephy :help:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how an autobiography could have references? This assignment makes little sense. I'd just grab a publication manual and make sure you are following the formatting (i.e. title page, running head, etc.). Might be worth emailing the professor/TA about and asking them to clarify what they actually expect, since references, etc. seem inappropriate for the assignment.

Thanks , that's my only option to then , I am glad to see I am not the only one who finds that just weird . I have been confused for a huge part of the day ...:confused::mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
As I'm in a different state then obviously our papers are different but last quarter that was my first writing assisgnment in APA format for a psych class as well. And yes, I did do the title page, abstract page, formating and we were required to bring in three sources (probably just to make sure we could cite them properly). But it wasn't like a research paper just say you are talking about some aspect of your childhood, you could then refer for example to something about Erikson or whatever.

Here is a site I found useful http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/

Thanks for the advice and links . I've pre-ordered one of those books. The newest edition but it's not coming out to later this month uh . I pre-ordered it May 16th...

So citing references isn't all about research but to also other people's theories and relationships as Erikson ? I'm happy to know that I've a reflection paper due and I must follow the APA format , it's about myself and where I was 3 years ago , 5 years ago , and recently . I am to write about how I was thinking , feeling , what shaped during those eyars etc . So I was thinking okay how do I cite anything for that ? But now I know that much . If anything else please do tell . :)

Thanks for the advice and links . I've pre-ordered one of those books. The newest edition but it's not coming out to later this month uh . I pre-ordered it May 16th...

So citing references isn't all about research but to also other people's theories and relationships as Erikson ? I'm happy to know that I've a reflection paper due and I must follow the APA format , it's about myself and where I was 3 years ago , 5 years ago , and recently . I am to write about how I was thinking , feeling , what shaped during those eyars etc . So I was thinking okay how do I cite anything for that ? But now I know that much . If anything else please do tell . :)

Yea you always need to cite theories. A good rule of thumb is that unless you are the first person to come up with a particular idea...you need to cite it! Over-citing wont really get you into too much trouble (if any), but under citing will.

If the idea comes directly from someones theory, paper, or writing, yes, it needs to be cited. It doesnt matter if its empirical research or not. Reviews, meta-analyiss, theoretical writings, etc. it all gets cited if you are using it. Your profesor should really go over some of this stuff with youduring class,r at leasst provide an handout if the APA manual was not required for the class.

Yea you always need to cite theories. A good rule of thumb is that unless you are the first person to come up with a particular idea...you need to cite it! Over-citing wont really get you into too much trouble (if any), but under citing will.

That's good to know , they have tons of online journals written by psychologists and articles with books . It's in their online library , it's wonderful . They give you tips on how to cite the resources too . Just the APA style can be very confusing and I don't want major points knocked off my grade over something I can control .

If the idea comes directly from someones theory, paper, or writing, yes, it needs to be cited. It doesnt matter if its empirical research or not. Reviews, meta-analyiss, theoretical writings, etc. it all gets cited if you are using it. Your profesor should really go over some of this stuff with youduring class,r at leasst provide an handout if the APA manual was not required for the class.

When I contacted him about this , he wasn't very verbal on the matter . He told me to use what he started as a guide/example . But sometimes I need more you know ? Considering this paper is on myself how much citing can one do ? No one else has lived my life for me ? In fact the reply to the email I sent was a one sentence email and then his name . Quite evasive ...

Yes, well, this is college, so your not gonna get alot of hand holding. As long as he gave you a handout, I agree you should use it. Professors are busy people and the great thing about email is that it allows for fast, easy communcation without alot of the fluff. Its just the way the professional and academic worlds is, so, dont sweat it.

Last edited:
Yes, well, this is college, so your not gonna get alot of hand holding. As long as he gave you a handout, I agree you should use it. Professors are busy people and the great thing about email is that it allows for fast, easy communcation without alot of the fluff. Its just the way the professional and academic worlds is, so, dont sweat it.

Yea I am seeing that I mean I don't expect hand holding but I guess I should immediately know that professors aren't like the high school teachers . I seldom email teachers anyways cause I normally figure things out on my own . I prefer it that way . But this whole APA thing is like learning a whole new language for me . I wish i had thought sooner to educate myself in the format before I began classes .