apmle part 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podguy11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who just took apmle part 1, what were your impressions? (obv dont post about content, just what did you think?)

I for one thought it was extremely challenging..

Members don't see this ad.

I made stupid mistakes by over thinking material I knew. I also had some material I straight up didn't know. I did my best, however, and believe that will be good enough.

It was hard. I'm quite worried...

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought it was a miserable experience and one of the worst I've had of taking any exam. The matching part I thought was hard. The test overall was not a fun one to fly through and the questions were tough, some were very detailed and some were secondary questions (i.e. you have to know what structure they were asking about and then answer what they were looking for). Some were straightforward questions that you may overlooked or not studied since you were focused on too much of the other stuff. It's really hard to know what to really study for. I have to agree, First Aid book was not helpful and studying the class notes may be more worthwhile since you are familiar with it already. Overall, the exam was tough and makes one quite worried.

I didn't think the exam was all that bad. There were definitely questions I got wrong because I over-thought it or second-guessed myself and I also came to questions where "I remember reading about it" but couldn't come up w/ the answer so I had to give it my best shot. I thought the general anatomy stuff was a bit tricky and pharm really tripped me up! I feel I did "OK" and I think it'll be enough to pass. I also heard through the grapevine that they "drop" a lot of Gen Anatomy questions and that you really only need to get 50-60% of the questions right in order to pass...any thoughts on this? How do people KNOW what actually gets dropped and what doesn't?

It was not an easy exam. Unfortunately, none of us know a specific # of questions required to pass it. I definitely thought they hit Pharm pretty hard and avoided Path. People do say that around 55% is passing, but unfortunately the NBPME has that info locked away and won't share. Hopefully I knew enough to pass; otherwise, I might have to start thinking about changing my Class to 2017.

Do you all mind me asking what podiatry programs you come from?

I felt that the exam was not well balanced. I got multiple questions that were very similar. I also figured topics such as Pharm would include more drugs that I may actually prescribe in the future.

The minutiae that they tested on wasn't particularly hard. If those questions were in a regular school exam you would laugh and thank the gods. But it's frustrating because you have 205 questions of random minutiae from all over the place. It's like rubbing salt in your wounds, you've read the topic before, you even knew it at one time, you might even consider it an easy question.....but it's been so long and so minute that you can't just decide which answer is right. To even compound it......most of the time 1-2 answers are completely wrong even if you didn't study....but you still can't decide between the rest....even know you knew it at one time. AHHHH

Reactions: 1 users
The minutiae that they tested on wasn't particularly hard. If those questions were in a regular school exam you would laugh and thank the gods. But it's frustrating because you have 205 questions of random minutiae from all over the place. It's like rubbing salt in your wounds, you've read the topic before, you even knew it at one time, you might even consider it an easy question.....but it's been so long and so minute that you can't just decide which answer is right. To even compound it......most of the time 1-2 answers are completely wrong even if you didn't study....but you still can't decide between the rest....even know you knew it at one time. AHHHH
agreed, especially the gen anatomy section which i thought was extremely detailed, things that wouldnt be bad if i had an exam on that particular topic, but with the vast material you must know for this exam i was very surprised at the detail that was required

Lets see, I got 3 hrs of sleep before the exam because I felt like I forgot all my pharm....

I found it really random, I think I may have had one question regarding antibiotics and maybe one diabetic drug...seriously?

Does anyone know when the results come out?

Topics: Also was it just me who thought there was only like 5 pharm questions? Just a few Biochem? I had prepared for Pharm sooo much and I was shocked to see there were barely any pharm questions. Every other question was lower/ physio. Micro was hit pretty well. And Path was very straight forward. Anatomy questions had the answers in the question and were not difficult. If anything there was a lot of Neuroanatomy.

Anyways for the most part I was able to eliminate 2/4 choices, but not sure if i got 50-60% correct. Let's pray for each other.

My study sources: First Aid was a good week before review source. I would not use it to prepare for the exam. Except for Micro. The Micro section in First Aid was amazing and sufficient. I don't think we need to know so much path and I would say review class notes for Path.
Pharm like I said I didn't even have more than a handful of questions. So I can't judge. But from that know your antipsych and anesthesia well.
Lower class notes rocked. But they still managed to throw in a few questions that I doubt were written by an English Speaker.
I definitely overstudied for Biochem with class notes & that made me second guess everything. Review the basics and the bullets only. Those and whatever else you learned in class should get you through.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the exam was pretty random regarding material, I even had the exact same question twice, but it was easy so i was glad that I got that one again. I didnt study neuro at all and biochem very little because they were pretty low yield, like 7% biochem and even smaller portion or neuro. I used DIT and First Aid as a supplemental source. I feel I overstudied because all of the questions were basically random. Like shapes of bones that are completely irrelevant to anything remotely important about podiatry. Scores come out on the 30th.

The NBPME Gods let me pass... I'm not sure what they were thinking, but I won't question them.

Aaaaaand passed.

From what I can tell so far, it's 90% at Temple.

Temple:
76 people passed out of the 86 that took the exam (class of 2016). 88.37%