APMLE Part 2 - Class of 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TriiPod

Reaction score
What is a good schedule to follow for part 2 considering the exam is being given by the end of November beginning of December? What are some books, resources to use?

Members don't see this ad.

Use Watkins and you’ll be fine. Answer some BV questions. Not a hard exam at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't take it lightly.

Last edited:
How helpful is the AACPM curricular guide for Part 2? It was highly recommended for Part 1

does anyone know where we can get watkins not NOT 100 bucks? Or a mobile version?

How’s everyone feeling about Part II?
Pretty nervous to be honest. Ive read through watkins and done all the bv questions twice. Hoping that will be enough to help me pass 🙏🏼

How did part 2 feel for you guys? I thought it was easier than part 1 but still pretty hard. Board Vitals was surprisingly a source I wish I hadn't spent so much time on because it didn't help that much imo.

Just like part 1, where I knew the lower anatomy was going to be hard, studied hard for it, but it still ended up being hard.

That's how I felt about the biomechanics section on part 2.

BV and the Prometric practice exams were pretty much no help/big waste of time. Practically no med/abx questions, sparse surgery questions, HEAVY biomechanics and HEAVY buzzword pathology/treatment that is not pertinent to our training whatsoever.

APMLE part 2 is a severely poor constructed money grab.

Reactions: 6 users
BV and the Prometric practice exams were pretty much no help/big waste of time. Practically no med/abx questions, sparse surgery questions, HEAVY biomechanics and HEAVY buzzword pathology/treatment that is not pertinent to our training whatsoever.

APMLE part 2 is a severely poor constructed money grab.

I would agree with this. The most shocking thing was that BV and APMLE practice exams actually helped so little, I'm almost not sure they even helped at all. If they did, it was so minor I couldn't even tell.

Definitely night and day in that BV was actually helpful for part 1. They even had identical questions from part 1.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else think they failed lol
Doesn't really matter, you can start studying for part 3 now and if you fail part 2, you would be prepared to retake it in February. Just don't fail that one.

Doesn't really matter, you can start studying for part 3 now and if you fail part 2, you would be prepared to retake it in February. Just don't fail that one.
thank you :) that’s a good suggestion

I am curious as to why they could not have released scores sooner. Wasn’t that the whole reason why exams were moved to end of November, so the programs could know prior to interviews? We still have to wait until Jan 25 lol.

Side note. Very nervous
They don't want you get distracted by the results, I guess :D

I am curious as to why they could not have released scores sooner. Wasn’t that the whole reason why exams were moved to end of November, so the programs could know prior to interviews? We still have to wait until Jan 25 lol.

Side note. Very nervous
Still kinda strange moving the test date considering the pass rate is 99-100% for part 2 lol.

Last edited:
Still kinda strange moving the test date considering the pass rate is 99-100% for part 2 lol.

Do you know where the stats are showing 99%? That sounds like part 3 stats.

Part 2 is usually around 88-96%?

The CPME website under programmatic outcomes: Programmatic Outcomes | CPME

It's unclear if this reflects the overall or first-time pass rate.

It might also vary from year to year.
Oh cool. Thanks for the link.

Weird how Temple has 92% and all other places are 99-100%.

But I think it's not first time pass rate, as the board part 1 numbers are too high for that. I know schools that have had 69-75% first time board part 1 rates within last couple years and those stats do not show it.

Oh cool. Thanks for the link.

Weird how Temple has 92% and all other places are 99-100%.

But I think it's not first time pass rate, as the board part 1 numbers are too high for that. I know schools that have had 69-75% first time board part 1 rates within last couple years and those stats do not show it.
I agree with you on all those points. I was initially surprised by Temple's results too. However, the latest statistics as of December 1, 2023, indicate that Temple has achieved a 99% pass rate for part 2, which suggests that the earlier data might have been an outlier.

I'm quite curious to see the updated CPME data when it becomes available for all the schools.

I don't believe its first time pass rate- I think its pass rate overall. CPME changed the rules so that they just need to report overall pass rates so they wouldn't go on probation lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Anxiously waiting………
Wishing you the best of luck!
KSUCPM sent out emails with results for those who wanted them early. I was too anxious to wait for Prometric to upload them. Thankfully I passed. I hope you did too!

Reactions: 1 users
Wishing you the best of luck!
KSUCPM sent out emails with results for those who wanted them early. I was too anxious to wait for Prometric to upload them. Thankfully I passed. I hope you did too!
Congratulations!! So happy for you

Hey, my school hasn’t emailed yet! Do you remember how many you may have gotten correct? I’m anxious as well
I honestly thought I failed tbh, I made a lot of silly errors. I’m sure the curve was heavy, don’t be anxious! It’ll all work out. Good luck!

Prism/crozer/WATKINS!!!!!!/BV 2 months out and you’re good. I was bottom half of class and felt prepared.

Hey guys,

Passed the exam - overall felt it was relatively easy compared to part 1. I took it on a Thursday and came out of it thinking that wasn’t bad but classmates that took it on Friday said they had some pretty hard questions so I guess if they offer it on multiple days, take it earlier. I just went through board vitals (1 pass) and causally looked at Watkins / prism throughout externships but never really went super deep into them. Board vitals I covered aggressively one week out but didn’t have enough time for a second pass. The questions weren’t similar but it at least helped me get in the exam mindset. I would do it in untimed tutor mode and would pick any subject and do 200 questions at once and read through the answers after each question. I think I started off around 55% and was getting into the 60-70% range towards the end which was enough to pass the exam. Not sure school statistics yet but all the classmates I talked to passed so that’s a good sign.

Passed. I’ve yet to hear of a classmate at my school that didn’t

Not discrediting anyone’s effort BUT I believe there was a heavy curve to where if you did not pass it’s bc you’re illiterate.

All the people first time passing part 2 vs. residents/attending saying applicants this year were worse than most years. Something isn’t adding up.

Not discrediting anyone’s effort BUT I believe there was a heavy curve to where if you did not pass it’s bc you’re illiterate.
So based on belief...not fact....there was a heavy curve so those who failed are illiterate?! Not to discredit you or anything BUT that statement is ignorant and says a lot about you

Reactions: 3 users
So based on belief...not fact....there was a heavy curve so those who failed are illiterate?! Not to discredit you or anything BUT that statement is ignorant and says a lot about you
CPME changed the reporting of Part 1 pass rates from 1st attempt to overall, also reaccredited an institution which had less than 70% Part 1 pass rate. There’s a recruitment “crisis” and admitted applicant stats are dropping consequently.

I’d say it’s a very fair conclusion to make that Part 2 was heavily curved in order for schools to inflate their pass rates and grad rates which aids in recruitment given the other curious changes made in the way CPME and the way schools have been presenting their data

CPME changed the reporting of Part 1 pass rates from 1st attempt to overall, also reaccredited an institution which had less than 70% Part 1 pass rate. There’s a recruitment “crisis” and admitted applicant stats are dropping consequently.

I’d say it’s a very fair conclusion to make that Part 2 was heavily curved in order for schools to inflate their pass rates and grad rates which aids in recruitment given the other curious changes made in the way CPME and the way schools have been presenting their data
That's not a conclusion, it's a hypothesis

• Haha
The critique is not whether or not the test was curved, but that those who did not pass are illiterate. That is ad hominem and there is a strong likelihood that people who did fail browse these forums and can see your post. I am glad that you passed, but it’s important to be considerate to the people who did not, as there can be a multitude of reasons why they did not pass this one particular exam on one particular day.

Reactions: 6 users
That's not a conclusion, it's a hypothesis
No thoughts or concerns on the topic of our interaction? Strong work.
The critique is not whether or not the test was curved, but that those who did not pass are illiterate. That is ad hominem and there is a strong likelihood that people who did fail browse these forums and can see your post. I am glad that you passed, but it’s important to be considerate to the people who did not, as there can be a multitude of reasons why they did not pass this one particular exam on one particular day.
I understand that perspective. People who actually had things going on in their lives shouldn’t be too critical of themselves bc life happens and they’re gonna give it their best the 2nd time! My statement was not intended to that group, which I assumed would be a given.

Passed. I’ve yet to hear of a classmate at my school that didn’t

All the people first time passing part 2 vs. residents/attending saying applicants this year were worse than most years. Something isn’t adding up.
Part 1 is the only one anyone fails....
Part 2 and pt3 fail rate always has been <5% (and 90% of those still pass on retake).

And yeah, the very few who do fail pt2 repeatedly and can't start residency are not illiterate per se, but ESL is highly likely as a factor for failing a test 99% pass. The other factor is a student the pod school should've flunked out many moons ago (you will see this more and more upcoming: students who should never get in or would've failed out first or 2nd semester now make it to graduation but struggle in match and national boards).

...Part 2 and 3 are barely worth studying at all... perhaps a week at most (refresh obscure tumors, etc).
Any half decent student already studied most of that stuff (pod med, fx classifications, abx and med, antidotes, etc etc) extensively for clerkships/interviews. Saying 2 months study for pt2 boards as above - or for pt3 or for ABPM is a big waste... just study core texts and current + classic good journal articles for clerkships/interviews instead. Those exams are minimal competency and almost impossible not to pass. Part 1 boards and ABFAS and a few very rare state board exams are the only reasonably hard ones in podiatry :thumbup:

Last edited:
Part 2 and pt3 fail rate always has been <5% (and 90% of those still pass on retake).
Where do you get your stats from? I know a school that just had an 80% pass rate for part 2, confirmed via dean.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Where do you get your stats from? I know a school that just had an 80% pass rate for part 2, confirmed via dean.
It's very easy to see this stuff.
APMLE themselves publishes pass rates from time to time (click the 'Fall 2020' or others from this link on their own website).

The pt1 and pt2 pass rates are also published by schools also as a CPME requirement (pt3 is not required as a student, so they just do 1 & 2 rate):
They all publish them ... (Western 114/114 on pt2 pass) ... (Barry shows 169/170 or 99.x% passed pt2 in the last few years) ... (DMU is 100% also) ... (even jolly old NYCPM managed 98% on pt2). Even Samuel Merritt publishes theirs (obscurely, but you can find it eventually) because it's required to be posted, and the pt2 APMLE pass % are high (for them... a lot higher than their pt1 anyways).

...an 80% pass rate for part 2 is horrific. SMU isn't way above that mark in some years, but they are above. To say the overall pt2 is 80% is misinformation (and hearsay not really worth debating). Regardless, if you heard that through the grapevine, then they likely meant to say pt1 was 80% pass there, or were rounding down, or your info is a serious outlier... or just wrong.

Like most things podiatry education, APMLE is APMA/CPME controlled. Part 1 is a real test... pt2 and pt3 are very easy, very high pass rate, and basically formality tests that are cash grabs and to very loosely mirror the USMLE 3-part exams ("parity"). Barely anybody fails pt2 and pt3, so it's not really worth studying much unless one is a very lower end pod student and/or failed part 1 or pod school classes.

Last edited:
It's very easy to see this stuff.
APMLE themselves publishes pass rates from time to time (click the 'Fall 2020' or others from this link on their own website).

The pt1 and pt2 pass rates are also published by schools also as a CPME requirement (pt3 is not required as a student, so they just do 1 & 2 rate):
They all publish them ... (Western 114/114 on pt2 pass) ... (Barry shows 169/170 or 99.x% passed pt2 in the last few years) ... (DMU is 100% also) ... (even jolly old NYCPM managed 98% on pt2). Even Samuel Merritt publishes theirs (obscurely, buy you can find it eventually) because it's required to be posted, and the pt2 APMLE pass % are high (for them... a lot higher than their pt1 anyways).

...an 80% pass rate for part 2 is horrific. SMU isn't way above that mark in some years, but they are above. To say the overall pt2 is 80% is misinformation (and hearsay not really worth debating). Regardless, if you heard that through the grapevine, then they likely meant to say pt1 was 80% pass there, or were rounding down, or your info is a serious outlier... or just wrong.

Like most things podiatry education, APMLE is APMA/CPME controlled. Part 1 is a real test... pt2 and pt3 are very easy, very high pass rate, and basically formality tests that are cash grabs and to very loosely mirror the USMLE 3-part exams ("parity"). Barely anybody fails pt2 and pt3, so it's not really worth studying much unless one is a very lower end pod student and/or failed part 1 or pod school classes.

The dean told me directly today, it's not heresay.

I think people confuse first pass rate with ultimately pass rate.

Part 2 objectively has an 80% first pass rate at our school this year. By 2nd exam, I'm sure it will be over 90%, and by third time, it will probably be around 98-99%...which is the stats that are ultimately published.

The dean told me directly today, it's not heresay.

I think people confuse first pass rate with ultimately pass rate.

Part 2 objectively has an 80% first pass rate at our school this year. By 2nd exam, I'm sure it will be over 90%, and by third time, it will probably be around 98-99%...which is the stats that are ultimately published.
Why does APMLE itself newsletter (linked above) say that 99% pt3 and 88% pt1 of first-time takers passed?
(pt2 typical pass rate first-time is much closer to the 99 than 88... but 80% for any would be pitiful for any part of the APMLE).

And, if what you say is true, then say you go to Samuel Merritt... without saying you go to Samuel Merritt :)

Why does APMLE itself newsletter (linked above) say that 99% pt3 and 88% pt1 of first-time takers passed?
(pt2 typical pass rate first-time is much closer to the 99 than 88... but 80% for any would be pitiful for any part of the APMLE).

And say you go to Samuel Merritt... without saying you go to Samuel Merritt :)

I don't go to Samuel Meritt. But don't shoot the messenger, I'm just stating what the dean literally told me.

80% pass rate boards part 2.

I don't go to Samuel Meritt. But don't shoot the messenger, I'm just stating what the dean literally told me.

I tried to ignore your comment but I can't. Please use critical thinking and read dr.Feli's links
Do you know USMLE step 1 is much much harder than APMLE 1 and the passing rate for MD schools are still greater than 91-92% recently, before was 94-95% ?

I tried to ignore your comment but I can't. Please use critical thinking and read dr.Feli's links
Do you know USMLE step 1 is much much harder than APMLE 1 and the passing rate for MD schools are still greater than 91-92% recently, before was 94-95% ?
The relevancy to my post?

I'm literally not making a point. I'm just regurgitating what the dean of our school told me, which is that the recent part 2 APMLE pass rate is 80% for first time takers.

This isn't a point, it's a statement.

Proves my point even more that this class has a weaker knowledge base than previous classes

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users