APMSA Delegates: Please Read!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrfeet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was getting a pedicure today (and yes, guys do get pedicures because I for one want to take care of my feet since I'm going to be doing it for others) and I started talking to the man sitting next to me. He was an older gentleman (68 to be exact). He asked me what I did. I told him that I was going to podiatry school. He said, "Oh that's neat. I can remember when I went to the podiatrist as a young man, but back then they were called chiropodists." I said, "Yes, things have changed quite a bit since those days."

He asked me what I was interested in doing, and I told him surgery. He said, "Oh, I didn't know that podiatrists could do surgery, I thought that they just worked on toe nails and caluses."

STOP!!! :eek:

This is a prime example of why we need to better educate the public about our profession. Now, I know that the man was older and could not be up-to-date on current events, but come on, the guy thought that we still did what chiropodists did 50 years ago! It is imperative that we get the word out to the public just how far we have come as physicians and the services that we now offer the public, such as surgery.

Please draft legislation at the upcoming meeting for a strategy to confront this problem. As the American Dental Association did years ago, let us now raise the bar for podiatry with educational programs, especially those geared toward our youth.

Members don't see this ad.

mrfeet said:
So, I was getting a pedicure today (and yes, guys do get pedicures because I for one want to take care of my feet since I'm going to be doing it for others) and I started talking to the man sitting next to me. He was an older gentleman (68 to be exact). He asked me what I did. I told him that I was going to podiatry school. He said, "Oh that's neat. I can remember when I went to the podiatrist as a young man, but back then they were called chiropodists." I said, "Yes, things have changed quite a bit since those days."

He asked me what I was interested in doing, and I told him surgery. He said, "Oh, I didn't know that podiatrists could do surgery, I thought that they just worked on toe nails and caluses."

STOP!!! :eek:

This is a prime example of why we need to better educate the public about our profession. Now, I know that the man was older and could not be up-to-date on current events, but come on, the guy thought that we still did what chiropodists did 50 years ago! It is imperative that we get the word out to the public just how far we have come as physicians and the services that we now offer the public, such as surgery.

Please draft legislation at the upcoming meeting for a strategy to confront this problem. As the American Dental Association did years ago, let us now raise the bar for podiatry with educational programs, especially those geared toward our youth.

MRFEET,

You and I should work on some education events for the public. We could find some group at Scholl that we could express this or form our own. "AMPPE" (American Medical Podiatric Public Educators) :thumbup:
We could think of neat ideas to publicly set up foot screenings and educate many people at the same time. Give them some fancy facts about diabetes, foot infections, amputations, and quality of life within the elderly population with and without Podiatric Medical care. Dentists do this stuff all the time. The new thing with Dentists is that cavities can cause plaques that may go to your coronary arteries and cause massive heart attacks leading to sudden death. Or just go to your dentist every six months and stay alive. :laugh:
Seriously, what do you think?

I could not agree more that we should look to the dentists as an example of how to publisize our field.

A little back ground on the up-hill battle... (I think I have talk a little about this already in a different pod forum)

This year the APMA did their 1st publicity campaign called " Podiatrists Keep America Walking" they put ads on subways in DC and NYC (big commuter cities). they also got onto the morning shows in NYC but this was just by luck and had nothing to do with planning (a long story). then we handed out bags of samples and info to the general public in NYC so some were tourists. and the morning shows had 2 millionish viewers across the country.

I think they should clean up and spiffy up the act and take it large scale across the country with educational campaigns to elementary students (like the dentists did) and do a national educational campaign thru TV comercials.

The problem is the old people who run the APMA. He and they are afraid of cheapening the field by doing TV comercials. what a bunch of *****s! :eek:

Gusty doc and I will add this to our list of resolutions for sure even though the old farts do not agree.

Members don't see this ad :)
krabmas said:
I could not agree more that we should look to the dentists as an example of how to publisize our field.

A little back ground on the up-hill battle... (I think I have talk a little about this already in a different pod forum)

This year the APMA did their 1st publicity campaign called " Podiatrists Keep America Walking" they put ads on subways in DC and NYC (big commuter cities). they also got onto the morning shows in NYC but this was just by luck and had nothing to do with planning (a long story). then we handed out bags of samples and info to the general public in NYC so some were tourists. and the morning shows had 2 millionish viewers across the country.

I think they should clean up and spiffy up the act and take it large scale across the country with educational campaigns to elementary students (like the dentists did) and do a national educational campaign thru TV comercials.

The problem is the old people who run the APMA. He and they are afraid of cheapening the field by doing TV comercials. what a bunch of *****s! :eek:

Gusty doc and I will add this to our list of resolutions for sure even though the old farts do not agree.

:thumbup: One more item for the agenda! keep em coming. I'm looking forward to hearing more about how involved the students are in PR at the other schools. I know we don't do much other than an occasional foot screening in Iowa.

The APMSA has addressed this issue. It is up to local delegations and colleges to arrange events. April is "foot awareness" month, and that is a great time arrange events, such as have a sports med talk at a local running store, do free foot screening (grab a professor at your college)...this way you can engage in conversation about your training. At the same time it is important to educate our other health care professionals (DO, MD, Dentist, chiro, PT, etc), therefore it is not a good idea to continually get into feuds about who is better etc which has been the topic of many post.

The APMA has devoted a large sum of money for campaigning to new students and the general public. Each year students and DPM's lobby in DC, which is a great platform to educate about our profession. We can ALWAYS be doing more and we need people who are motivated in keeping our progression. It is great that you are passionate about these issue, if only everybody was it would be better. If you have special concerns or ideas you wish for the APMSA to hear, please message me and I will fwd those to the appropriate individuals

thanks

Ski Bum said:
The APMSA has addressed this issue. It is up to local delegations and colleges to arrange events. April is "foot awareness" month, and that is a great time arrange events, such as have a sports med talk at a local running store, do free foot screening (grab a professor at your college)...this way you can engage in conversation about your training. At the same time it is important to educate our other health care professionals (DO, MD, Dentist, chiro, PT, etc), therefore it is not a good idea to continually get into feuds about who is better etc which has been the topic of many post.

The APMA has devoted a large sum of money for campaigning to new students and the general public. Each year students and DPM's lobby in DC, which is a great platform to educate about our profession. We can ALWAYS be doing more and we need people who are motivated in keeping our progression. It is great that you are passionate about these issue, if only everybody was it would be better. If you have special concerns or ideas you wish for the APMSA to hear, please message me and I will fwd those to the appropriate individuals

thanks

I would really like to see the APMA launch a nationwide TV ad campaign. I think that if we begin airing television commercials on the major networks, especially in primetime, we could grab a massive American audience and educate them about podiatric medicine. I know that this would be costly, but I feel that it is one of the most effective means of publicity.

I too believe there should be a mass marketing campaign for the podiatry profession but I am not so sure TV ads are the way to go. Yes it will educate a lot of folks about our profession but like the old farts fear, it will lessen our reputation to others because what other profession does commericials?

I think TV commericials would be great if they are advertising an event going on, such as free foot screening and then you throw in some profession information about PODS.

I just think we should be careful about running TV ads and how they are run to ensure we dont cheapen our image.

There should just be mass events held in public, like the lectures at a shoe store, or in local middle and high schools, and over time the profession will become well known in everyone's eyes. We can't expect instant respect and knowledge of our profession in 1 year or in 1 mass ad campaign, it takes alot of hard work.

Dmayor22 said:
I too believe there should be a mass marketing campaign for the podiatry profession but I am not so sure TV ads are the way to go. Yes it will educate a lot of folks about our profession but like the old farts fear, it will lessen our reputation to others because what other profession does commericials?

I think TV commericials would be great if they are advertising an event going on, such as free foot screening and then you throw in some profession information about PODS.

I just think we should be careful about running TV ads and how they are run to ensure we dont cheapen our image.

There should just be mass events held in public, like the lectures at a shoe store, or in local middle and high schools, and over time the profession will become well known in everyone's eyes. We can't expect instant respect and knowledge of our profession in 1 year or in 1 mass ad campaign, it takes alot of hard work.

Here in Iowa Ive seen numerous TV ads of Plastic surgeons and Dentists. Just an observation. Maybe its starting to lean that way because of how competive medicine in general is gettting.

IlizaRob said:
Here in Iowa Ive seen numerous TV ads of Plastic surgeons and Dentists. Just an observation. Maybe its starting to lean that way because of how competive medicine in general is gettting.

Yes, I have also seen dentists, plastic surgeons, gastroenterologists, etc. advertise. There is nothing wrong with this practice as long as it doesn't appear desperate or cheap. I think informative advertisements are the way to go. While on vacation in Florida, I recently saw a TV ad sponsored by a hospital which featured a podiatrist talking about vericose vein treatment. The ad was well done and was very informative.

I must of read the previous posts wrong, i'm sorry. I thought the idea was for the APMA or another association to run ads about the profession of podiatry in general. Now, if hospitals, large private practices,etc runs ads well i am all for that.

doclm said:
MRFEET,

You and I should work on some education events for the public. We could find some group at Scholl that we could express this or form our own. "AMPPE" (American Medical Podiatric Public Educators) :thumbup:
We could think of neat ideas to publicly set up foot screenings and educate many people at the same time. Give them some fancy facts about diabetes, foot infections, amputations, and quality of life within the elderly population with and without Podiatric Medical care. Dentists do this stuff all the time. The new thing with Dentists is that cavities can cause plaques that may go to your coronary arteries and cause massive heart attacks leading to sudden death. Or just go to your dentist every six months and stay alive. :laugh:
Seriously, what do you think?

Sorry that I haven't gotten back to you on this. Yes, I think its a great idea! All we need to do now is have the APMA and APMSA back our endeavors with financial and moral support. Certainly, the podiatric profession can always use more advocacy groups. We'll talk about it in the fall and try to get the ball rolling. :thumbup:

It seems like the profession is more interested in letting the public know we sell shoes and give all types of shoe advice.

Take for example our education about flip flops... and get some awesome alternatives:
http://www.apma.org/s_apma/doc.asp?CID=18&DID=19696

Then you can take a online survey about shoe inserts, arch supports and where your secret stash comes from.
http://www.apma.org/s_apma/index.asp

Then you can learn about foot health and shoe fashion.
http://www.apma.org/s_apma/sec.asp?CID=253&DID=16781

In my opinion, these are a few reasons why we're seen as shoe suppliers, toe nail trimmers etc.

look at the cheesy things we produce and represent ourselves as!

But then again, maybe this is the reality of our profession and we as students don't know it yet.

Either way, in my opinion, it's time for a serious change.
We endorse shoes with stamps of approval like dentists do with tooth paste. Simply stamping a shoe implies something about the shoe at the time of the purchase and in my opinion does little else given the individual nature of shoe use and the public probably isn't going to read any of the fine detail about proper use etc. Plus, does the profession get any money from those stamps???

Take a good look at that APMA website and tell me if that's the type of site/content that you want representing your profession and ultimately, to some extent, your practice.

mrfeet said:
Yes, I have also seen dentists, plastic surgeons, gastroenterologists, etc. advertise. There is nothing wrong with this practice as long as it doesn't appear desperate or cheap. I think informative advertisements are the way to go. While on vacation in Florida, I recently saw a TV ad sponsored by a hospital which featured a podiatrist talking about vericose vein treatment. The ad was well done and was very informative.

To Mr. Feet and DOCLM-I would also be interested in meeting in the fall to discuss this issue. I'll be around.

Members don't see this ad :)
molldoll2010dpm said:
To Mr. Feet and DOCLM-I would also be interested in meeting in the fall to discuss this issue. I'll be around.

Great.... :thumbup:

The more ideas the better. As Podiatry students we should take a stand to educate the general public of how our profession significantly impacts the lives of many.

Look forward to meeting with you.

Luke.

yeah, we really need to expalin what we do.

My uncle asked me what kinda medicine I was gonna be doing. I replied with "podiatry" and he responded, "oh, you must really like children." :thumbdown:

gustydoc said:
:thumbup: One more item for the agenda! keep em coming. I'm looking forward to hearing more about how involved the students are in PR at the other schools. I know we don't do much other than an occasional foot screening in Iowa.

I am not sure if DMU does this or not...from running in the Chicago Marathon I got this idea. I was thinking it would be a good idea if the runner's club at DMU would put together a team for the marathon and wear shirts promoting the school. Also, it would get the word out if the podiatry students would setup a tent at both the packet pick-up day, and the finish line for free foot screenings, maybe even offer the foot screenings to area highschool cross country and track teams.

UCI->Scholl said:

My uncle asked me what kinda medicine I was gonna be doing. I replied with "podiatry" and he responded, "oh, you must really like children." :thumbdown:

:laugh:
Yes, I too have received a similar response to "podiatry." Ofcourse, for the non-medical person it would be easy to get "pod" and "ped" confused.

Sometimes I just tell people I'm studying to be a "foot doctor" to make it easy for them, and then they suprisingly respond, "Oh, you're going to be a podiatrist." So, I guess it just depends on the individual and how educated they are.

fly101 said:
I am not sure if DMU does this or not...from running in the Chicago Marathon I got this idea. I was thinking it would be a good idea if the runner's club at DMU would put together a team for the marathon and wear shirts promoting the school. Also, it would get the word out if the podiatry students would setup a tent at both the packet pick-up day, and the finish line for free foot screenings, maybe even offer the foot screenings to area highschool cross country and track teams.

Those are great ideas in promoting Podiatry. When I was a student at TUSPM, the TUSPM Sports Medicine Club would send a team of students with some attendings to various races and other athletic events for foot screenings (including taping runners). Some events that TUSPM students go to include the Boston Marathon, Marine Core Marathon in DC, Broad Street Run (major marathon in Philadelphia), Philadelphia MS Walk and many other local events. TUSPM also did a bunch of foot screenings at various local health fairs and diabetic screenings.

As for the Chicago Marathon, you should check to see if Scholl is doing any foot screenings in the event or not. For example, I think that NYCPM does foot screening at the New York Marathon. Of course, krabmas can confirm this for me.

If there are events that you feel that would help promote Podiatry and the school currently does not participate in the event, you can convince an attending at your school to set one up.

fly101 said:

NYCPM has contacts with the medical directors at all the Roadrunners races in NYC (that is almost all the races including the NYC Marathon) and the triathalons and some other stuff. Students volunteer to take care of the foot and ankle problems that come thru the tents before during and after the races. I am a big fan of lancing the blisters, other students prefer icing and wrapping limbs.

the PT students do stretching and massaging.

just an idea for the DMUers to find the medical director and try to do this instead of foot screenings.

foot screenings are good in concept but you typically can only refer at the foot screening there is no treating.

dpmgrad said:
Those are great ideas in promoting Podiatry. When I was a student at TUSPM, the TUSPM Sports Medicine Club would send a team of students with some attendings to various races and other athletic events for foot screenings (including taping runners). Some events that TUSPM students go to include the Boston Marathon, Marine Core Marathon in DC, Broad Street Run (major marathon in Philadelphia), Philadelphia MS Walk and many other local events. TUSPM also did a bunch of foot screenings at various local health fairs and diabetic screenings.

As for the Chicago Marathon, you should check to see if Scholl is doing any foot screenings in the event or not. For example, I think that NYCPM does foot screening at the New York Marathon. Of course, krabmas can confirm this for me.

If there are events that you feel that would help promote Podiatry and the school currently does not participate in the event, you can convince an attending at your school to set one up.

I sort of answered this in the previous post but....

SO NYCPM only does actual foot screenings at the diabetes symposium in NYC and Iona college for the athletes. by foot screenings I mean we look at the feet, watch them walk and test ROM, pulses, morphology... there is no treating of a deformity or even really any discussion of what might be done, just to see a podiatrist if they are interested in options or if diabetic to see a pod no matter what and some patient education for the diabetics.

at the races we treat the athletes feet, sprains, strains, blisters... and sometimes get involved in the ones that are passing out and the such.

I think it would be much better to treat than do foot screenings at the races.

NYCPM also does the boot fit at west point for all the Freshman. no foot screenings there either. just some boot fitting. yes we look at the feet and if there are issues we confer with the perorthist for options.

mrfeet said:
:laugh:
Yes, I too have received a similar response to "podiatry." Ofcourse, for the non-medical person it would be easy to get "pod" and "ped" confused.

Sometimes I just tell people I'm studying to be a "foot doctor" to make it easy for them, and then they suprisingly respond, "Oh, you're going to be a podiatrist." So, I guess it just depends on the individual and how educated they are.

Yeah, I think I need to adjust and learn to use the same terminology as well.

However, keeping with the theme of this thread... often times when i do expain that "im going to be a foot dr," the typical response is, "what do they do?"

Ok sure... not everyone is medically versed, but dude... come on... we need to get the word out about who we are.

UCI->Scholl said:

Yeah,

I had the same experience as well. Some lady in the lab keeps thinking I am going into pediatrics. :eek: Also, another person still thinks I am going to do their knee's and shoulder surgery. :confused:

Well on the other hand I get responses like: well I know who to see know for my ingrown toenail. I tell them that if they ever did get an ingrown to go see their family physician first. :smuggrin:

The general public knows very little about the field of Podiatry.

krabmas said:
I sort of answered this in the previous post but....

SO NYCPM only does actual foot screenings at the diabetes symposium in NYC and Iona college for the athletes. by foot screenings I mean we look at the feet, watch them walk and test ROM, pulses, morphology... there is no treating of a deformity or even really any discussion of what might be done, just to see a podiatrist if they are interested in options or if diabetic to see a pod no matter what and some patient education for the diabetics.

at the races we treat the athletes feet, sprains, strains, blisters... and sometimes get involved in the ones that are passing out and the such.

I think it would be much better to treat than do foot screenings at the races.

NYCPM also does the boot fit at west point for all the Freshman. no foot screenings there either. just some boot fitting. yes we look at the feet and if there are issues we confer with the perorthist for options.

You do bring up a good point about the difference between foot screening and rendering treatments. At TUSPM, we render treatments during most of the athletic events that the Sports Medicine Club participate in. During those events (Boston Marathon, Marine Core Marathon, Broad Street Run), students treat runners before the run (taping up athletes) and treat runners ater the marathon (lancing blisters, wrapping feet, etc... , as krabmas indicated). In addition to the athletic events, we do perform foot screenings at some of the local health screening and diabetic screening events as well. As krabmas mentioned, during these foot screenings, we usually exam the patient and make recommendations (including go see a Podiatrist).

Krabmas also brought up the fact that NYCPM does go up to West Point to do actual boot fitting for the various incoming West Point cadets. One of my attendings have several kids at West Point and he relates that many of the cadets appreciate having the NYCPM students and attendings helping them out in proper boot fitting and its appropriate adjustments since they spend quite a bit of time in the boots during their stay at West Point. NYCPM, keep up the good work at West Point.

I think almost everyone at my undergrad college knows what a Podiatrist is....Now. If they didn't know before Nov 05, they definately found out beccause I was way excited and told like everyone. One of my friends even said she was going to save her bunions for me, even though they are bad and she should totally get them done asap. Getting the word out there about who we are and what we do is that same as a new product trying to sell in the market. As long as we know who the audience is and we have something they need that they can't find elsewhere, advertising won't be the problem. It's how to go about getting the Podiatry field recognized. It will be interesting to see what happens.