Appalachian College of Pharmacy vs. University of Iowa College of Pharmacy. Which is Better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Appalachian College of Pharmacy or University of Iowa, School of Pharmacy

• Appalachian College of Pharmacy

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • University of Iowa, School of Pharmacy

Votes: 14 82.4%

• Total voters

Shay Gal

Sherry Stan
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Appalachian College of Pharmacy VS University of Iowa, School of Pharmacy
:):shrug:
Help! I am not sure which school to pick.
I have given a seat deposit for both schools, but still don't know which one to officially pick. I will be moving from Los Angeles, CA.

ACP is a good school and is only a 3 year program. (I will save a year of tuition) They have a good NAPLEX score as well. It is a stand alone Pharmacy school, and each student is treated like family. That's the feel I got when I went for an Interview. However, it is in Oakwood CA and there is absolutely nothing to do there.

UI is an amazing school, with good reputation and a lot of research opportunities, but it is 4 years. Cost of living is more expensive, and I will need to pay a year of extra tuition.

I do not know what to do! Please help. What do you guys know about the schools that might be helpful in determining which school to choose.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Appalachian College of Pharmacy VS University of Iowa, School of Pharmacy
:):shrug:
Help! I am not sure which school to pick.
I have given a seat deposit for both schools, but still don't know which one to officially pick. I will be moving from Los Angeles, CA.

ACP is a good school and is only a 3 year program. (I will save a year of tuition) They have a good NAPLEX score as well. It is a stand alone Pharmacy school, and each student is treated like family. That's the feel I got when I went for an Interview. However, it is in Oakwood CA and there is absolutely nothing to do there.

UI is an amazing school, with good reputation and a lot of research opportunities, but it is 4 years. Cost of living is more expensive, and I will need to pay a year of extra tuition. However, it is in Iowa City, so it will most likely be more similar to Los Angeles.

I do not know what to do! Please help. What do you guys know about the schools that might be helpful in determining which school to choose.

Where are you from?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol Iowa city is nothing like Los angleles...

Reactions: 1 users
Go to the school in the state where you want to work and that will save you money.

From what I know, ACP is focused on rural/underserved pharmacy. That tells me that your rotation sites and opportunities around you are limited if you want to pursue hospital, research or work in metropolitan areas. Pharmacy isn't what it was in the early 2000s where you can get whatever position you want anymore. The school does matter to an extent. That's not to say you won't get residency opportunities at like John Hopkins or whatever, but it'd be difficult when competing with schools either near the area or higher ranked. The accelerated 3 year program is attractive, but it may not be for everyone.

If UI offers in-state tuition after a year of residency within the state, then the tuition difference b/w them is negligible.

I would look into the outcomes of their graduates to get a better idea of what you may be in for.

Reactions: 1 user
Go to the school in the state where you want to work and that will save you money.

From what I know, ACP is focused on rural/underserved pharmacy. That tells me that your rotation sites and opportunities around you are limited if you want to pursue hospital, research or work in metropolitan areas. Pharmacy isn't what it was in the early 2000s where you can get whatever position you want anymore. The school does matter to an extent. That's not to say you won't get residency opportunities at like John Hopkins or whatever, but it'd be difficult when competing with schools either near the area or higher ranked. The accelerated 3 year program is attractive, but it may not be for everyone.

If UI offers in-state tuition after a year of residency within the state, then the tuition difference b/w them is negligible.

I would look into the outcomes of their graduates to get a better idea of what you may be in for.

Thanks so much for this nice long reply! I plan to move back to CA, I just liked the small feel of ACP, it felt like family, and yes, I'm totally seduced by the 3 year part of the program. Maybe I should just go to UI so I don't go crazy studying all the time, and I can have my summers off.

How sure are you about the in stat tuition? It that's the case, then I don't have to worry about the $$ difference because like you said, they come out to be the same.

PS: I love your cat picture .

This can't be a serious questions? It is not even close - UI by far.

Iowa City is NOTHING like LA - but that being said, it is a cool town, UI was named the top party school in the country for several years in a row

Reactions: 3 users
This can't be a serious questions? It is not even close - UI by far.

Iowa City is NOTHING like LA - but that being said, it is a cool town, UI was named the top party school in the country for several years in a row
Awesome. Thanks

Seriously, go to UI. More established school and much better networking opportunities.

Seriously, go to UI. More established school and much better networking opportunities.

Yeah I'm leaning towards UI. I'm just still very seduced by the 3 year idea. Who doesn't wanna finish sooner?

I'm a Hawkeye. :) Iowa City is a terrific place to live, and plenty of work opportunities while you're in school too. As Iowa goes, rent can be expensive, but nothing like L.A.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a Hawkeye. :) Iowa City is a terrific place to live, and plenty of work opportunities while you're in school too. As Iowa goes, rent can be expensive, but nothing like L.A.
I went to undergrad in Iowa - almost went to Pharm school there - but spent a lot of weekends in IC - great place for school-I want something a little bigger to spend my adult life thou

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you can get instate tuition if you are more than half-time at UI.

I'm going to try to be as diplomatic as possible but I went to ACP and will just tell you what I would do if I had to choose again.

The 3 year program is enticing and what made my decision but it is a mistake unless you KNOW that you will be in retail. If you have any desire for a residency or attempting to get a fellowship then it is very tough. The 3 year program is year around and allows you no time to network or intern at companies that you might want to work for after graduation. I think the 3 year program got started when there were still sign on bonuses and the market was more in demand and schools needed to pump out students as fast as possible. I know students that have decided to go on to 4 year schools even though it was more expensive just because they will have more chances to use their summers to connect with employers.

On another note if you are from LA then I just guessing you are a minority and if so ACP will be like living on the moon. Most of the area is white and while friendly but there isn't much to do and you really rely on classmates to have some sense of the "outside world".

I would not look at the costs of school as much as the opportunities that you can have afterwards.

Reactions: 2 users
U Iowa hands down. However, it will be very expensive if you are going out of state (not sure how it compares cost-wise to Appalachian). FYI - if you go to Iowa and you are married (with your spouse working full-time in Iowa and not attending school), you can apply for resident tuition after your spouse has worked for 12 months. At least, that's how it was when I went there. This isn't something that they really broadcast so just thought I would throw it out there. Personally, I'm not a fan of three year schools but that's just me.

Thank you so so much !!!! This was extremely helpful! Thank you. I made my decision, it was nice hearing from someone who goes to ACP. Thanks a lot! This forum is awesome.

I'm going to try to be as diplomatic as possible but I went to ACP and will just tell you what I would do if I had to choose again.

The 3 year program is enticing and what made my decision but it is a mistake unless you KNOW that you will be in retail. If you have any desire for a residency or attempting to get a fellowship then it is very tough. The 3 year program is year around and allows you no time to network or intern at companies that you might want to work for after graduation. I think the 3 year program got started when there were still sign on bonuses and the market was more in demand and schools needed to pump out students as fast as possible. I know students that have decided to go on to 4 year schools even though it was more expensive just because they will have more chances to use their summers to connect with employers.

On another note if you are from LA then I just guessing you are a minority and if so ACP will be like living on the moon. Most of the area is white and while friendly but there isn't much to do and you really rely on classmates to have some sense of the "outside world".

I would not look at the costs of school as much as the opportunities that you can have afterwards.

U Iowa hands down. However, it will be very expensive if you are going out of state (not sure how it compares cost-wise to Appalachian). FYI - if you go to Iowa and you are married (with your spouse working full-time in Iowa and not attending school), you can apply for resident tuition after your spouse has worked for 12 months. At least, that's how it was when I went there. This isn't something that they really broadcast so just thought I would throw it out there. Personally, I'm not a fan of three year schools but that's just me.
Thanks a bunch for the info regarding my spouse. I am married, so that will be perfect! Thank you =)

Thanks a bunch for the info regarding my spouse. I am married, so that will be perfect! Thank you =)

No problem! I would check with the registrar to be sure it is something you can still do. I didn't know about it until almost the end of pharmacy school, so I felt like I got screwed (but I guess it was my own fault for not following up on getting in-state tuition). Also make sure you switch over all of your stuff to Iowa (car registration, drivers licenses, voter registration etc.) prior to applying for it.