MD Appeal letter for dismissal from University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thombrow808

Reaction score
Hi, I just dismissed from University due to GPA below 2.0, and except diagnosed with cancer, the other part of the reason is that my final paper for my writing class last quarter involves Academic integrity and I receive an F for that course (which I suppose to get an A)...Should I also include this reason in my appeal letter?
Please advise, thanks

"

I admitted I had a hard time last semester and my grade was suffered as a result. I am not making excuses for my poor academic performance, but I am explaining the reasons.

Near the beginning of the quarter, I had a very difficult time adjusting to both college life and being diagnosed with cancer. I had my surgery done this quarter, tons of pain and stress due to the surgery cause me to drive back to Los Angeles often for revisit which takes most of the time for me on driving. Even with that, I still think I could handle the workload of taking sixteen units, and I still think I could have. I understand now that I should have talked to my professors about this issue, instead of avoiding them or even taken medical leave. I thought I could handle all of these difficulties, and I tried my best, but I was wrong. However, I am recovering from cancer surgery much better now, so I believe it should no longer be a problem.

I also realize my study habit was in dire and needs improvement. Throughout Community college, I could do well without working hard, with that mindset I was doing the same in four-year university. But I have now learned I should have focused more on academic, meet and resolve the challenges I met in my courses. I met with my professor four times and all my teachers on discussing how to improve my scores. Looking at my grades, you can see I did improve my grade this quarter and I am enrolling in summer classes to repeat my courses I failed, I believe my GPA will be a lot better after repeating my failed courses. However, it looks like for most of my other classes I took too long to realize the problem and have no time to correct them.

If you allow me to back to XXXX, I promise I will continue to meet and obtain help from the professors. Also, if that is necessary I would plan a complete schedule if that is what’s needed. I will meet my professors asking for help, and talk to TA if I am struggling with a course. I will continue to improve my study habits as I will spend more time in the library study and get clarification from study group for what I do not understand. Also, I will try to take fewer units in order to spend more time on fewer courses.

Please understand that low GPA does not indicate I am a bad student, instead, I believe I am a good student who had a bad year. I would really appreciate a second chance.

"

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You don’t get a 2.0 and cheat while still getting to call yourself a good student and not mention the cheating in an appeal.

I’m very sorry for your health and I hope you recover but I would reevaluate your approach into an appeal for a second chance on mercy as opposed to implying they just don’t know how good you are

Reactions: 1 user
You don’t get a 2.0 and cheat while still getting to call yourself a good student and not mention the cheating in an appeal.

I’m very sorry for your health and I hope you recover but I would reevaluate your approach into an appeal for a second chance on mercy as opposed to implying they just don’t know how good you are

It was not cheating, I was blamed as I plagiarize but I actually did not. I am also appealing the plagiarism at the same time. But I just received an F before the result comes out.

Members don't see this ad :)

But I wonder do they review case by case, like the dismissal caused by low GPA, so they are just reviewing my appeal based on the reasons for low GPA? Or they review the student by the different perspectives, is it better I talk about the plagiarism in the letter? Thanks

Frankly, you have so many issues swirling around I think a letter isn’t going to help. I had a really difficult time understanding what you wrote and I’m still not sure what the issues are. Any chance of setting up a couple of meetings with the Academic Dean and who ever is in charge of cheating issues? You might be better served to have in person discussions before putting anything in writing.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi, I just dismissed from University due to GPA below 2.0, and except diagnosed with cancer, the other part of the reason is that my final paper for my writing class last quarter involves Academic integrity and I receive an F for that course (which I suppose to get an A)...Should I also include this reason in my appeal letter?
Please advise, thanks

"

I admitted I had a hard time last semester and my grade was suffered as a result. I am not making excuses for my poor academic performance, but I am explaining the reasons.

Near the beginning of the quarter, I had a very difficult time adjusting to both college life and being diagnosed with cancer. I had my surgery done this quarter, tons of pain and stress due to the surgery cause me to drive back to Los Angeles often for revisit which takes most of the time for me on driving. Even with that, I still think I could handle the workload of taking sixteen units, and I still think I could have. I understand now that I should have talked to my professors about this issue, instead of avoiding them or even taken medical leave. I thought I could handle all of these difficulties, and I tried my best, but I was wrong. However, I am recovering from cancer surgery much better now, so I believe it should no longer be a problem.

I also realize my study habit was in dire and needs improvement. Throughout Community college, I could do well without working hard, with that mindset I was doing the same in four-year university. But I have now learned I should have focused more on academic, meet and resolve the challenges I met in my courses. I met with my professor four times and all my teachers on discussing how to improve my scores. Looking at my grades, you can see I did improve my grade this quarter and I am enrolling in summer classes to repeat my courses I failed, I believe my GPA will be a lot better after repeating my failed courses. However, it looks like for most of my other classes I took too long to realize the problem and have no time to correct them.

If you allow me to back to XXXX, I promise I will continue to meet and obtain help from the professors. Also, if that is necessary I would plan a complete schedule if that is what’s needed. I will meet my professors asking for help, and talk to TA if I am struggling with a course. I will continue to improve my study habits as I will spend more time in the library study and get clarification from study group for what I do not understand. Also, I will try to take fewer units in order to spend more time on fewer courses.

Please understand that low GPA does not indicate I am a bad student, instead, I believe I am a good student who had a bad year. I would really appreciate a second chance.

"
If you were my kid, I'd recommend not bothering with the appeal of dismissal, but if you value a career in Medicine, get rid of the plagiarism charge.

Then get your life in order. Work for a few years, asave up some money, and then go back to college. Med schools aren't going anywhere.

As a teaching moment, you may have been a good student with a bad year, but you displayed poor judgement by trying to bulldoze your way through college while having a serious illness.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yep. The dismissal can be remedied. If OP gets a few years of good work under their belt then they'll have a good shot at schools that reward reinvention - especially with the compelling cancer story. The plagiarism? Harder to fix. I'd go for academic dismissal in exchange for dropping the plagiarism charges...those are tough things to overcome.