PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This was probably in response to my halfway finished and edited post so I'll share the story.

I contacted a site the day after their notification date and share how excited I was about their site. I asked if I should expect a response at this point and was very respectful all around. The site got back to me and said that they were initially going to reject me but since I showed additional interest and seemed like a good candidate, they extended an invite anyway. I was blown away that this happened and I am so appreciative for the opportunity. The site apologized for not letting me know by the notification deadline and their reason sounded totally legit and genuine.

This is awesome. Congrats - must've been a damn good email to get that kind of response

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Official Site Name: University of Houston CAPS
Date Invitation Received: 12/15
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Offered Interview Dates: 12/18-20, 1/7-11 (in person, zoom, or phone)
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Hanging with non-grad school people

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have to admit, I find it very unprofessional for sites to miss their notification deadlines or to not send out any responses to people they have rejected. We spent honest time, money, effort and consideration and were not allowed extended deadlines. Why is is that the sites do not have to meet the same standards they ask of applicants?

Reactions: 6 users
Alright everyone, my watch is ended.

Please do continue to post outstanding site notifications to the thread. However, this post represents the point at which I will no longer be updating the main list.

If current or future applicants have questions about the list or process, feel free to reach out via PM.

Happy Holidays!

Reactions: 42 users

Please do continue to post outstanding site notifications to the thread. However, this post represents the point at which I will no longer be updating the main list.

If current or future applicants have questions about the list or process, feel free to reach out via PM.

Happy Holidays!
Thank you for all the help during this stressful process! I cant imagine how much work you put into upkeeping the list over the past couple months. Best wishes with matching!

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
I bet you're right. I only applied to university counseling centers so I'm holding out hope that they'll send out decisions today. I recognize that I'm grasping at any sense of perceived control at this point but the little I can muster is comforting.

I applied to a lot of prisons and similar sites that wouldn’t have access to email on a Saturday which is why I was thinking that. But I don’t know either way about counseling centers. I hope it worked out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to a lot of prisons and similar sites that wouldn’t have access to email on a Saturday which is why I was thinking that. But I don’t know either way about counseling centers. I hope it worked out for you!

Agreed. One of my sites is a VA so the DOT would likely need to be on-site if she was going to use her VA email, which is the one noted on APPIC. However, one of my sites is a medical center and is pushing it very close - they are two hours behind me so it wouldn't be until my 2am that they'd be 'late.' I will send an email in the morning, if necessary.

I have to admit, I find it very unprofessional for sites to miss their notification deadlines or to not send out any responses to people they have rejected. We spent honest time, money, effort and consideration and were not allowed extended deadlines. Why is is that the sites do not have to meet the same standards they ask of applicants?

I completely agree. Almost half of the sites I applied to did not respond by their chosen notification date. I find it extremely unprofessional to hold students to higher standards than they hold themselves. I doubt any would consider students that turned in late applications.

I completely agree. Almost half of the sites I applied to did not respond by their chosen notification date. I find it extremely unprofessional to hold students to higher standards than they hold themselves. I doubt any would consider students that turned in late applications.

#****typowerdynamics

Official Site Name: Shared Vision
Date Invitation Received: 12/15/2018
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: 1/9, 1/15, 1/24

Official Site Name: New York City Children's Center- Queens Campus
Date Invitation Received: 12/15/2018
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: TBD

Happy Holidays!
Thank you very much. I hope your match goes great!

Just received an invitation for Battle Creek VA.

Only one more site to hear from. Then, I shall nap.

Members don't see this ad :)

Happy Holidays!
Thanks for all your hard work!

Happy Holidays!

Thank you so much for all your hard work! I can only imagine how much effort/time it might have taken. Sending good wishes your way! :)

Rejections from California Pacific, anyone? Ready to finish off with these sites.

Today is Sharp Healthcare date... Anyone hear anything?? I just want 1 more and I can move on with my life.
That and CSU San Marcos are the last I'm waiting to hear from.

Happy Holidays!
Thank you! I hope you've heard from all your sites and end up with a great match.

This process makes me extremely anxious because of its unpredictability... any good coping strategies?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Okay, this is a match question--- does anyone know how many interviewees sites can rank for each of their intern slots? Like, 4 ppl ranked for each slot, so a total of 12 ranked people? is there a max?

I know this is random and I have no control over it but I'm just curious.

This process makes me extremely anxious because of its unpredictability... any good coping strategies?

What has been surprisingly helpful for me is thinking about the worst case scenario. Worst case scenario, i dont match, i do another year, and apply next year. Thats not THAT bad! Ive been doing a lot of AA meetings, meditation, gratitude lists, writing letters to people who mean a lot to me, anything that can remind me how many good things i have in my life.

Sent from my LM-V350 using SDN mobile

Okay, this is a match question--- does anyone know how many interviewees sites can rank for each of their intern slots? Like, 4 ppl ranked for each slot, so a total of 12 ranked people? is there a max?

I’m pretty sure that they can rank as many people they like for each track number they have. And they can rank the same person for multiple tracks if they wish.

As many people as they want. I guess a technical max would be the number that they interviewed

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using SDN mobile

We can rank as many people as we want, however as far as the algorithm goes - if a site has three spots then the first three ranked people are counted as ranked 1, the next three are 2, and so on. Also the algorithm favors the intern not the site.

With the current numbers it’s recommended that sites rank 10 people per spot.

We can rank as many people as we want, however as far as the algorithm goes - if a site has three spots then the first three ranked people are counted as ranked 1, the next three are 2, and so on. Also the algorithm favors the intern not the site.

With the current numbers it’s recommended that sites rank 10 people per spot.

I actually cannot understand how the algorithm favors the applicant because even though I ranked the site as my first choice, it would not be possible to match to that site if they didnt rank me... any clarification for this?

I actually cannot understand how the algorithm favors the applicant because even though I ranked the site as my first choice, it would not be possible to match to that site if they didnt rank me... any clarification for this?

This video was posted last year. It does a great job explaining the matching process - it’s for MDs but the process is the same.

Reactions: 13 users
This video makes me even more anxious lol but thank you!

The whole process is anxiety inducing - for everyone involved. What it comes down to is do your best on your interviews and rank the sites in the order you want to be at that site. Don’t worry about how the site ranks you, or how many people they rank when making your choices in how to rank the places you interview.

Reactions: 2 users
What has been surprisingly helpful for me is thinking about the worst case scenario. Worst case scenario, i dont match, i do another year, and apply next year. Thats not THAT bad! Ive been doing a lot of AA meetings, meditation, gratitude lists, writing letters to people who mean a lot to me, anything that can remind me how many good things i have in my life.

Sent from my LM-V350 using SDN mobile

Yep! I mailed out 32 holiday cards to allow myself to be in the moment and realize how blessed I am!

Anyone else mentally done preparing for interviews ? I looked over the potential questions but at this point I feel I am as prepared as I will ever be ‍♀️

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else mentally done preparing for interviews ? I looked over the potential questions but at this point I feel I am as prepared as I will ever be ‍♀️

My interviews are in January. I’ll prepare after the holidays. The application and notification process has wore me out! I need time to rest and enjoy the holidays.

I finally got a rejection from St State Operated Forensic Services in St. Peter, Minnesota. I knew it was coming since someone had all ready posted an invite way before the notification date.

I’m still waiting on 2 more sites but notification date is this week so we’ll see what happens.

Honestly, none of the questions are trick questions and you should be able to answer them all. The one thing that could help is to practice answering some of those questions with classmates. It can help you get a feel for how you want to articulate some key concepts in depth, but also somewhat concisely given that you only have so much time with each interviewer.

My interviews are in January. I’ll prepare after the holidays. The application and notification process has wore me out! I need time to rest and enjoy the holidays.

Same! I'm not even done hearing from sites left (2 to go) and this ongoing anxiety and heightened email-checking has me exhausted. I plan to totally disconnect over the holidays and start prepping after. Glad I'm not the only one!

Same! I'm not even done hearing from sites left (2 to go) and this ongoing anxiety and heightened email-checking has me exhausted. I plan to totally disconnect over the holidays and start prepping after. Glad I'm not the only one!

100 percent agree! This is why I have completely checked out of interest in Cypress-Fairbanks lol

One site invited me for an interview last week but has not given me any dates yet. I need to start planning flights!!!

Has anyone heard one way or the other about the W. G. (Bill) Hefner VA Medical Center in Salisbury, NC? Their interview notification date was on 12/15, but I haven't seen any mention in the forum about them.

Oh Lincoln Hospital... where are youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. I know it's a likely rejection from them since they're a competitive site, but it's the last place I'm waiting on!

Invitation from Canandaigua VA neuro track!

Although I already have interviews scheduled on the 2 open house dates...I'm not sure what to do!

Reactions: 1 users
This may be off topic a bit. But are people preparing to wear high heels or just flats? I know high heels are more professional-looking but when I wear them, I walk around like a dog in snow boots...

Hi all, has anyone heard from Indiana University CAPS yet? Rejection or interview? Thanks!

Has anyone heard one way or the other about the W. G. (Bill) Hefner VA Medical Center in Salisbury, NC? Their interview notification date was on 12/15, but I haven't seen any mention in the forum about them.
I heard from them on 12/7 I got an email invite for an interview

Did anyone else get a blank email from MUSC? I am assuming it's a rejection (I assumed that weeks ago)

This may be off topic a bit. But are people preparing to wear high heels or just flats? I know high heels are more professional-looking but when I wear them, I walk around like a dog in snow boots...

I’m only wearing flats, but that’s also more expected in a forensic setting

Go with comfort and wear flats.

I had the same question. However, I have my first interview tomorrow and decided to wear flats. They look professional and you'd rather be comfortable instead of being concerns about shoe bits, losing balance, feeling discomfort. I doubt a site is going to judge you for not wearing heels!