PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got a joint e-mail to apply to USAJobs, from both FCC Butner and UNC School of Medicine.

Butner has already been posted so:

Official Site Name: UNC School of Medicine
Date Invitation Received: 11/16/2018
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Forensic
Offered Interview Dates: Apply to USAJobs. Interview will be the day after the Butner interview (the day after Jan 7, 8, 16, or 17)
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Happy hours.

Same!! Yay!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes, Chapel Hill. They do say if you applied to another track, to except to hear back before Dec 15, so if you applied to a non-forensic track there don't be worried!

Yeah I applied to the health track, fingers crossed! Thanks for the info and congrats!

Reactions: 1 users
Question: What is the typical protocol when a site emails you back to confirm your interview date? Should you respond saying you got it, or leave it be so that the directors don’t get bombarded with these types of emails?

My assumption is I can never be docked for being gracious and replying (within limits obviously). It could, however, be perceived poorly if I don't respond; although I also feel that is doubtful. I prefer to err on the side of caution to quell my anxiety. I send back a quick thank you / excited for the interview, etc. I'm sure it doesn't get looked at but it makes me feel better.

I also send quick replies to rejections. I don't hold any ill will against a site that went a different direction and who knows how little things may later help. Post doc applications are (scarily) not too far away and it is entirely possible that these are people I will interact with again. I'd rather be remembered positively. Plus, I do actually appreciate that training directors are likewise worked to the bone atm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from U of Rochester Adult track? last year they went out on the same date as the peds track.

Official Site Name: VA San Diego Healthcare System/University of California, San Diego
Date Invitation Received: 11/16
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): appears to be mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Doesn't specify and I applied to multiple so I'm not sure
Offered Interview Dates: 1/7, 1/8, 1/9, 1/10, and 1/11
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane
: I'm definitely not. This process has turned me into a hot mess.

Reactions: 6 users
Official Site Name: James H Quillen VA
Date Invitation Received: 11/16/18 (looks like these are rolling in slowly)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General
Offered Interview Dates: 1/4 and 1/7
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: watching dolphins in Catalina during vacation at the moment

Reactions: 3 users
Official Site Name: VA St. Louis Healthcare System
Date Invitation Received: 11/16/18
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology
Offered Interview Dates: 1/4, 1/11, 1/18
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: planning my wedding :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Official Site Name: VA San Diego Healthcare System/University of California, San Diego
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): appears to be mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Doesn't specify and I applied to multiple so I'm not sure

Congrats! I also got an invitation to interview, but I only applied to programs at UCSD and Rady (none of the VA spots) if that helps people understand where the invites are coming from

Last edited:

Do you mind sharing which tracks you applied to? Or whether it was VA vs UCSD?

Congrats! I also got an invitation to interview, but I only applied to programs at UCSD and Randy (none of the VA spots) if that helps people understand where the invites are coming from
Oh, good point! And I only applied to the VA programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you mind sharing which tracks you applied to? Or whether it was VA vs UCSD?
I'll pm you! (once I figure out how)

New edit: It's saying I can't start a conversation with you, but I applied to a few rotations related to mood disorders.

Last edited:
I'll pm you! (once I figure out how)

New edit: It's saying I can't start a conversation with you, but I applied to a few rotations related to mood disorders.
Thanks for letting me know! I tried to start a conversation with you, but it wouldn't let me either. Does anyone know what this is about?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received first rejection from Arkansas Division of Behavioral Health Services- Arkansas State Hospital.

Official Site Name: The Arkansas Division of Behavioral Health Services- Arkansas State Hospital
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat):email (i think mass email)
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums):
Offered Interview Dates: December 7, 2018, December 14, 2018, January 4, 2019, January 11, 2019, January 18, 2019
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: cleaning the house while babywearing my 2mo :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for letting me know! I tried to start a conversation with you, but it wouldn't let me either. Does anyone know what this is about?
I think you have to:
1. Click on your icon in the top right.
2. Select contact details
3. Accept conversations from... Members only
4. Make sure to save changes

Official Site Name: Indiana University School of Medicine
Offered Interview Dates: 1/10, 1/16
:

*Only sharing this because of the convo above:

Official Site Name
: VA San Diego Healthcare System/University of California, San Diego
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Doesn't specify—but I applied to Adult BMed tracks at both the VA and UCSD.
: I'm about to leave the country and hopefully a vacation will help...

Official Site Name: Western State Hospital (Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS)).
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal email
Offered Interview Dates: Open house group interview on January 3rd
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: cleaning the house while babywearing my 2mo :)

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else have a BOP hangover this evening?

Official Site Name: WJB Dorn VAMC
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: 12/5, 12/12
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: I'm not

Congrats! I got this one too :highfive::clap:

Official Site Name: Indiana University School of Medicine
Offered Interview Dates: 1/10, 1/16
:

Was this for the adult track or one of the child tracks? Has anyone who applied to a pediatric or autism track heard anything?

Has anyone heard from VA Boston Healthcare System? Reported deadline is coming up on 11/21/2018.

Official Site Name: University of Texas Health Science Center - Houston
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal Email
Offered Interview Dates: 11/30, 12/3, 12/7, 12/10, 12/14
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Being completely consumed with my dissertation defense :)

Last edited:
Official Site Name: University of Texas Health Science Center
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal Email
Offered Interview Dates: 11/30, 12/3, 12/7, 12/10, 12/14
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Being completely consumed with my dissertation defense :)

Which one is this? San Antonio or a different site?

Can I ask when you submitted your application? Just wondering if they look over them in order. Thanks!

*Only sharing this because of the convo above:

Official Site Name
: VA San Diego Healthcare System/University of California, San Diego
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Doesn't specify—but I applied to Adult BMed tracks at both the VA and UCSD.
: I'm about to leave the country and hopefully a vacation will help...

Congrats! Can I ask when you submitted your application? Wondering if they review in order. Thanks!

It can’t be San Antonio, their application due date is December 10...

I don't know anything about that site in particular but I received an interview invite from another site before their application deadline passed so it is a possibility.

Official Site Name: FCC Butner
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass email to complete USAJobs app
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General Corrections and Residential Drug Abuse
Offered Interview Dates: Jan 7-8, 16-17
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Naps.

Official Site Name: FCC Butner/UNC School of Medicine
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal-ish email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums: Clinical Forensic
Offered Interview Dates: Jan 7-8, 16-17
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: Getting difficult.

I don't know anything about that site in particular but I received an interview invite from another site before their application deadline passed so it is a possibility.

Yea i know that’s possible, but the part j think is unlikely is that all but one offered interview dates are before the application deadline

Has anyone received a rejection from EVMS (Adult Medical Inpatient Track)? I know invites have been sent out, but I haven't gotten a rejection... as of yet. Thanks!

Has anyone received a rejection from EVMS (Adult Medical Inpatient Track)? I know invites have been sent out, but I haven't gotten a rejection... as of yet. Thanks!

No rejections on my end and I applied to the same track - last year the rejection email came significantly later than the invitation emails :( not sure if it’s the same this year

Official Site Name: Wisconsin Medical School
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Health Psychology
Offered Interview Dates: Don't know. The email indicated their coordinator would call me to set up a date.
: Wedding planning and looking at wedding dresses I can't afford...

Official Site Name: Wisconsin Medical School
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Health Psychology
Offered Interview Dates: Don't know. The email indicated their coordinator would call me to set up a date.
: Wedding planning and looking at wedding dresses I can't afford...

Congrats!!! This is Froedert right? I am still waiting on this one ughhh

Still no word from UAB? They were supposed to go out today.

Radio silence :( I applied for the neuro track. A fellow cohort member applied for the child track and she hasn't heard anything as well.

If you look at the APPIC site, they have their due date as 11/01/2017 - I think it did not get updated from last year so this may not be accurate.

I'm definitely excited that I've received an interview..but it's starting to set in just how expensive this whole process could be and I am suddenly very stressed....

Reactions: 9 users
I applied for pediatrics and got a mass email rejection yesterday. My first rejection! Bah.
I applied to the autism track and haven’t heard anything... I’m assuming I’m rejected since invites went out but it is strange that they sent rejections out to some tracks and not others.

I'm definitely excited that I've received an interview..but it's starting to set in just how expensive this whole process could be and I am suddenly very stressed....

I’m starting to feel that right now too. I’m trying to figure out ways to group interviews by region to cut back airplane travel costs...there are a couple that I think I’d be able to do that with, but not all offer interview dates close enough to each other Still, I’m optimistic I can at least manage to group a few of them!

These UCSD/VASDHS notifications concern me. They have a wide range of tracks and I haven't received a rejection, but the invitations also don't seem to be specific to the track. So either they are and they just don't care to mention it, or they were sent to the whole group of applicants.

Last edited: