PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Upon further reflection, one of the sites I am scheduled to interview at in 2.5 weeks is really not the best fit for me. Since it is still a ways off I am hoping to cancel it with enough time for them to fill my slot. Any thoughts on how I should phrase my email to the site cancelling my interview? I'm not sure if I should just say I've realized it's not the best fit for me or if I should just say I can no longer attend? I don't want to be rude. Definitely still overthinking everything!

If you truly believe that it will not be a good fit and are in a good position to match somewhere you like, and/or it seems an unnecessary use of your resources to follow through with this interview, then that is understandable. It seems to me that the most important elements of this are to be polite, courteous by informing them as early as possible, and, almost implicit in those, not burning any bridges that you may confront in the future. Maybe phrasing it in a way that suggests you very much appreciated the offer but are no longer able to attend and want to ensure you provide them with ample time to fill that interview slot if they feel the need, and that you apologize for any inconvenience this news may cause. If you do not want to attend, the exact reasons are probably less important to them than the simple fact that you will not be attending.

Members don't see this ad.

Upon further reflection, one of the sites I am scheduled to interview at in 2.5 weeks is really not the best fit for me. Since it is still a ways off I am hoping to cancel it with enough time for them to fill my slot. Any thoughts on how I should phrase my email to the site cancelling my interview? I'm not sure if I should just say I've realized it's not the best fit for me or if I should just say I can no longer attend? I don't want to be rude. Definitely still overthinking everything!

If you'd rather not match then end up at that site, then I think you can politely decline. I would encourage you to attend if you'd rather spend your year there than not match (just rank it low and you will match at one of your higher places, if possible). If you do decline, keep in mind that this could burn bridges because you're doing this so late in the game. The site likely will not be able to fill your spot since they likely already notified all applicants of their status. It's a bit odd that you would've applied to a site that isn't a good fit for you.

Reactions: 1 user
If you'd rather not match then end up at that site, then I think you can politely decline. I would encourage you to attend if you'd rather spend your year there than not match (just rank it low and you will match at one of your higher places, if possible). If you do decline, keep in mind that this could burn bridges because you're doing this so late in the game. The site likely will not be able to fill your spot since they likely already notified all applicants of their status. It's a bit odd that you would've applied to a site that isn't a good fit for you.

I disagree with str63's post. Sites are aware of how many people apply to their programs and know that people will change their interests throughout the process. That's why they will invite more applicants than necessary to ensure that they have good enough of a pool to rank and potentially fill their spots. For example, a site only has 4 spots for interns but would invite 30+ applicants for interviews. In many ways canceling an interview in a polite and professional way can be beneficial to sites (and to you) because it frees up their (and your) time and resources. Keep in mind that sites are going through the application process amidst all the other responsibilities they have to fulfill. I would not worry about burning any bridges at this time and think more about what you need and what site is best for you and how much mental and physical capacity you can salvage to do your best in this interview process. It can be a very draining process. And to think that a site will remember your name and your details and see you in a negative light in the future (that is if you even cross paths with them again) because you declined their interview sounds very passive-aggressive and timid. You probably would not want to work there in any capacity in the future anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your responses! To respond to str63, I applied to this site because I thought it would be a fine fit and would provide me with training that would meet many of my goals for internship. It is also a "less" competitive site in terms of the number of applications they receive and I was encouraged to diversify the types of sites I was applying to in terms of competitiveness. I was fortunate enough to receive interviews at places that meet all of my training goals. As I've been on interviews I noticed how excited I was at these sites, and that I would rather run the risk of not matching in order to be at one of these sites either through phase II or next year. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your responses! To respond to str63, I applied to this site because I thought it would be a fine fit and would provide me with training that would meet many of my goals for internship. It is also a "less" competitive site in terms of the number of applications they receive and I was encouraged to diversify the types of sites I was applying to in terms of competitiveness. I was fortunate enough to receive interviews at places that meet all of my training goals. As I've been on interviews I noticed how excited I was at these sites, and that I would rather run the risk of not matching in order to be at one of these sites either through phase II or next year. I hope that makes sense.

I hear you. One of my last interviews is with a place I will definitely rank last. I’m exhausted from all of the travel and interviews and would rather not interview with them. With that said, you never know the direction your career will take in the future. These awesome competitive sites are also really hard to find jobs at because everyone wants them, and you may want to apply for a position with this other site one day. I wouldn’t want to burn those bridges. Additionally, I would also worry for future cohorts in my program about any negative associations through my actions. Frankly, I’d interview and then just not rank them (if you’d prefer to take your chances on Phase II).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I disagree with str63's post. Sites are aware of how many people apply to their programs and know that people will change their interests throughout the process. That's why they will invite more applicants than necessary to ensure that they have good enough of a pool to rank and potentially fill their spots. For example, a site only has 4 spots for interns but would invite 30+ applicants for interviews. In many ways canceling an interview in a polite and professional way can be beneficial to sites (and to you) because it frees up their (and your) time and resources. Keep in mind that sites are going through the application process amidst all the other responsibilities they have to fulfill. I would not worry about burning any bridges at this time and think more about what you need and what site is best for you and how much mental and physical capacity you can salvage to do your best in this interview process. It can be a very draining process. And to think that a site will remember your name and your details and see you in a negative light in the future (that is if you even cross paths with them again) because you declined their interview sounds very passive-aggressive and timid. You probably would not want to work there in any capacity in the future anyways.

FYI - I've been an internship training director for years and know many other training directors as well. So although you may disagree with me, there is truth to what I said. That being said, to ClinicalPsych, since you would rather not match then go to that site, it doesn't make sense for you to visit it.

I think sites invite 30+ applicants for 4 spots because APPIC Match data indicates that programs successfully fill all their positions when they invite ~8 applicants per spot.

If anyone is from NYC / applying to sites in NYC, I would love to chat with you about sites and their reputations and would appreciate a PM :). Struggling a lot with rankings.

Anyone else finding this traveling extremely difficult? I’ve had so many setbacks. I’ve been sick, relying on Uber/taxis which has been hard in rural areas (have had to get rides from strangers), and have literally only been home one day here and there and won’t be home at all for another 10 days. I was expecting interviews to be the stressful part but the traveling is way worse.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh no! I didn't want to fall in love with any particular site, but it happened! The people were so welcoming and the work is exactly what I want to do and they have a large population of certain youth that I want to work with....and it's in a great location I've always wanted to live.

One more interview left.

Reactions: 6 users
I’m all done with my interviews!

Time to do rankings.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to figure out rankings, and one of my sites is “Accredited on contingency” while all the rest are fully accredited. How much should that accreditation status play into my ranking decisions?

Trying to figure out rankings, and one of my sites is “Accredited on contingency” while all the rest are fully accredited. How much should that accreditation status play into my ranking decisions?

If you like the training, I wouldn't let it affect it at all. In most situations, accredited on contingency just means it's a program that has more recently gotten accredited. If they are on contingency, they have everything in place that APA wants, they just need a certain amount of outcome data and another site visit. I am not aware of any program who was accredited on contingency and did not go on to full accreditation.

If you like the site, rank them. In fact chances are you’ll get better training as a result of the TD having just spent the last couple of years making sure everything is in alignment t with the new standards of accreditation and well thought out/polished because of the self study and site visit.

Source: TD who just went through this process and APA site visitor.

Once a site who has been accredited for a long time has a site visit, how long is it until they get reaccredited?

I would just be polite and honest. I think it is better to be honest and not go than to waste their time if you are not ranking them. Maybe someone will be able to go instead, or maybe you just gave them back some valuable time.

If you like the training, I wouldn't let it affect it at all. In most situations, accredited on contingency just means it's a program that has more recently gotten accredited. If they are on contingency, they have everything in place that APA wants, they just need a certain amount of outcome data and another site visit. I am not aware of any program who was accredited on contingency and did not go on to full accreditation.
Thanks! That helps.

Once a site who has been accredited for a long time has a site visit, how long is it until they get reaccredited?

The commission on accreditation (COA) only meets periodically to review all sites up for accreditation and reaccreditation. For example, my site had the site visit in October but the COA won’t make a decision until their April meeting.

Did anyone receive an email from Northeast Florida State Hospital? Can’t tell if it was a personal email or not..

Rankings submitted and super optimistic about Match Day!!

Rankings submitted and super optimistic about Match Day!!

Congratulations!!!!! I've been playing with my rankings all week. Does anyone have any tips/indicators for knowing you're READY? I feel very sure about my top 3, and my last 3, but that middle section ...

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations!!!!! I've been playing with my rankings all week. Does anyone have any tips/indicators for knowing you're READY? I feel very sure about my top 3, and my last 3, but that middle section ...

Fun fact! You can certify...then RE-certify if you change your mind. Up until the deadline (assuming it's the same this year). I used it as a sort of "gut feeling" tool to see how it felt when I certified sites last year.

Fun fact! You can certify...then RE-certify if you change your mind. Up until the deadline (assuming it's the same this year). I used it as a sort of "gut feeling" tool to see how it felt when I certified sites last year.
Ohhh! I thought certify set it in stone forever thanks for the tip!!! that's a good idea

I'm almost solid on my rankings, but really toying back and forth with a couple sites. I wish I felt more confident....does anyone have any stories of people who matched to like, their number 8 and were happy at the end?

Reactions: 3 users
To a Counseling Center open house, would you still dress up in a suit & tie (for guys), or would you dress more comfortably?

I'm almost solid on my rankings, but really toying back and forth with a couple sites. I wish I felt more confident....does anyone have any stories of people who matched to like, their number 8 and were happy at the end?
I have a good friend who matched at their 5th choice. They were incredibly disappointed and sad on Match Day and in the weeks afterward, AND they can solidly say now that it was ABSOLUTELY the site they were meant to be at. (Also, side note, the site they matched to is a super legit, well-respected and known site with excellent training.) They were so incredibly happy and impressed with the training they were receiving they ended up staying on for postdoc and then later slid into a job that was basically created for them and is an incredible fit in every conceivable way. So, even though they were initially super bummed and feeling like things hadn't worked out the way they wanted and/or planned, the way things actually unfolded was way better than anything could have ever imagined. I have the thought that this type of story isn't unique; I really, truly believe people end up where they're supposed to, which brought a lot of comfort to me during this legit cray process. Hang in there!! Y'all are in the homestretch now :)

I have a good friend who matched at their 5th choice. They were incredibly disappointed and sad on Match Day and in the weeks afterward, AND they can solidly say now that it was ABSOLUTELY the site they were meant to be at. (Also, side note, the site they matched to is a super legit, well-respected and known site with excellent training.) They were so incredibly happy and impressed with the training they were receiving they ended up staying on for postdoc and then later slid into a job that was basically created for them and is an incredible fit in every conceivable way. So, even though they were initially super bummed and feeling like things hadn't worked out the way they wanted and/or planned, the way things actually unfolded was way better than anything could have ever imagined. I have the thought that this type of story isn't unique; I really, truly believe people end up where they're supposed to, which brought a lot of comfort to me during this legit cray process. Hang in there!! Y'all are in the homestretch now :)

That AND just be grateful you matched somewhere. It’s a year of our life not a long term commitment. If you match, and your dissertation is done then you graduate upon completion. I’m trying to be practical!

Anyone else super torn between their #1 and #2 ranks?? I feel like it's a solid tie for me...argh :thinking: Almost to the point where I want to just flip a coin.

It kind of depends upon how you like to make decisions (E.g., intuitive vs. analytical), but I made a weighted pro/con list for each one of my sites using the same 10-12 factors and then just compared the total scores at the end. The one with the highest score is obviously number one, followed by the next highest score, and so on. Now I feel like I can trust my final rankings because they are as objective as possible.

Anyone else super torn between their #1 and #2 ranks?? I feel like it's a solid tie for me...argh :thinking: Almost to the point where I want to just flip a coin.
Might as well just flip that coin then. If it's an even split and it really doesn't matter, then might as well let fate make the decision for you. If, on the other hand, you flip it and have a gut reaction telling you otherwise, then that is useful information.

Reactions: 4 users
I have been torn between my top 1 and 2 sites. My 2nd choice site called today and left a voicemail asking if I had any additional questions (I interviewed there last week)...Thinking that is a good sign, but hard to not let that influence my ranking process! Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I have been torn between my top 1 and 2 sites. My 2nd choice site called today and left a voicemail asking if I had any additional questions (I interviewed there last week)...Thinking that is a good sign, but hard to not let that influence my ranking process! Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Yes something similar: a few days after my interview a site sent me an email “reminding” of their APPIC number for ranking. Another site thanked me for interviewing and gave me the email addresses of current interns for additional questions or requested I contact the TD directly. I think the first contact strongly suggest I’ll be ranked at the site but the other contact is ambiguous. It’s really hard to gauge the TD’s intentions. I’m going to rank based on where I want to be..

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone send out thank you cards or emails after interviews?

In general, does anyone have an idea how much sites value interviews in comparison to initial application materials?

When applying to graduate schools I was told that once you get an interview, you are basically on an equal playing field with the other applicants who got interviews at that school.

How is it with internship sites?

In general, does anyone have an idea how much sites value interviews in comparison to initial application materials?

When applying to graduate schools I was told that once you get an interview, you are basically on an equal playing field with the other applicants who got interviews at that school.

From my experience making the interview rounds, it depends on the site. There were a few sites where I definitely got the impression we were ranked already. For example, I had one 8 hr interview day that consisted of only one half hour interview with someone from a rotation I didn’t indicate interest for in my cover letter. I think the half hour interview was just to make sure that we are competent because we weren’t given too much opportunity to differentiate ourselves from other applicants. Then there were other sites where I had a large number of interviews with different staff and felt like I could advocate myself and that maybe it would make a difference in the rankings.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Last edited:

Training directors who post here have said interviews are a smaller portion of it (10-20%) and that it won't springboard you up. Maybe I am wrong, however, I did feel that some of my interviews could have counted for a bigger portion. I also acknowledge that I may be biased because I want those sites to count it for more.

Reactions: 1 users
Training directors who post here have said interviews are a smaller portion of it (10-20%) and that it won't springboard you up. Maybe I am wrong, however, I did feel that some of my interviews could have counted for a bigger portion. I also acknowledge that I may be biased because I want those sites to count it for more.

Would you say that sites that only do 30 minutes to an hour phone/skype interviews (as opposed to whole day interviews where you get to meet everybody) are more likely to base their rankings less on the interviews? That the interviews are just a "check" to see you are what you say you are on paper?

Would you say that sites that only do 30 minutes to an hour phone/skype interviews (as opposed to whole day interviews where you get to meet everybody) are more likely to base their rankings less on the interviews? That the interviews are just a "check" to see you are what you say you are on paper?

I wouldn't read into this at all as this will vary quite a bit from site to site.

I wouldn't read into this at all as this will vary quite a bit from site to site.

Yeah, but how much can you really assess in a 30 minute phone interview. It feels more like a check to me.

Yeah, but how much can you really assess in a 30 minute phone interview. It feels more like a check to me.

A lot. Our interviews tend to be around 45 minutes and cover everything from a case example to diversity knowledge and everything in between. We have very specific things that we look for in interns and can quickly assess fit (more often than not) based on the answers given. For the most part we don’t give interviews to anyone who, on paper, wouldn’t be a good fit so most applicants start off on equal footing when it comes to the interviews.

24 more days! It feels like 24 more YEARS...

It really does!!! I submitted my rankings and can't wait to see where I'll be going. 24 days is such a long time.

A lot. Our interviews tend to be around 45 minutes and cover everything from a case example to diversity knowledge and everything in between. We have very specific things that we look for in interns and can quickly assess fit (more often than not) based on the answers given. For the most part we don’t give interviews to anyone who, on paper, wouldn’t be a good fit so most applicants start off on equal footing when it comes to the interviews.

Thank you for providing your perspective as a training director and for taking the time to read through this forum!

Do you have any advice for weather disrupting travel plans ? We have a snowstorm heading in next weekend and I do not feel comfortable driving several hours in it. Worse case scenario, if I can’t make the interview, do you think the site would be willing to do Skype or reschedule ?
This happened at a few of the sites I interviewed at last year. People who were scheduled to be there but couldn't make it were given phone or Skype interviews on the same day.

To whoever recommended this bad boy - thank you! I would have never thought of it but this thing was clutch on the interview rounds.

IMG_4013.JPG

Reactions: 5 users
Well, we have made it to February! I don't know about y'all but I am currently vacillating between "this is the most important thing ever! I'm so anxious! How can I get through the next couple of weeks" and also "I am so zen. Everything is calm. I will be a psychologist regardless of what happens. This is great. I am great"....

So much fun!

Reactions: 6 users
Ranking is really hard and I keep changing the order of my sites. Any opinions on how to rank the following three would be greatly appreciated. They all have their pros and cons. UCSF (pro: guaranteed awesome neuro post doc after, con: cost of living, not sure where id get the extra funds, less heavy neuro internship). Brown (pro: good reputation, good balance of clinical and research, con: really didn't love providence), Emory (pro: most excited about the clinical training here, affordable to live, con: no post doc options after but also know I would not want to settle there). I don't have ties to anywhere. help!