PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would see it as a red flag if in a state that requires postdoc, and/or provides specialized training intended to support board certification or a speciality area of practice.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How solid are people on their rankings? I can't believe that tomorrow it'll all be out of our hands!

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep oscillating between brief periods of extreme certainty and doubt.

Reactions: 6 users
I just got mine in. I keep feeling like there's something else I should be doing.

I definitely went back and forth with a few sites, but I've finally committed. I'm pretty excited about all of them, so fingers crossed I match!

And best of luck to all of you! It was nice to check in here every day and see how you all were doing. The support meant the world to me!

Reactions: 10 users
I just got mine in. I keep feeling like there's something else I should be doing.

I definitely went back and forth with a few sites, but I've finally committed. I'm pretty excited about all of them, so fingers crossed I match!

And best of luck to all of you! It was nice to check in here every day and see how you all were doing. The support meant the world to me!
I hope you didn’t tell them you wanted to be a city planner after all!

Reactions: 1 user
With just over 30 hours to go until our rank lists are irrevocably sent off to the big NMS computer in the sky to decide our futures....

giphy.gif

...is anyone else *reeaaaalllly* hoping Greg Keilin drops by to tell us that we all did our best and that everything is going to be okay?

#reassuranceseeking #wheresgregk

Reactions: 12 users
I'm so worried that I did not "live up" to my CV. I look ( very-ish) good on paper, but my nerves got to me on interviews and I feel like there were several moments where I seemed like I was BS-ing my answers. And I know there's phase 2, but I imagine that the panic of being in Phase II would only WORSEN my nerves and lead to even worse interview skills. I have prioritized research and my clinical hours were definitely adequate, but not stellar. Is it magical thinking that the discrepancy between my good CV and person impression could make me look horrible?? My program has a 100% match rate over the past X years and I don't want to ruin it, so part of my anxiety is related to that...

ok, just needed to get that off my chest I guess.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm so worried that I did not "live up" to my CV. I look ( very-ish) good on paper, but my nerves got to me on interviews and I feel like there were several moments where I seemed like I was BS-ing my answers. And I know there's phase 2, but I imagine that the panic of being in Phase II would only WORSEN my nerves and lead to even worse interview skills. I have prioritized research and my clinical hours were definitely adequate, but not stellar. Is it magical thinking that the discrepancy between my good CV and person impression could make me look horrible?? My program has a 100% match rate over the past X years and I don't want to ruin it, so part of my anxiety is related to that...

A lot of people have nerves, which is usually a sign you care and likely isn’t going to work against you unlike some other questionable interpersonal behaviors would. Your CV, essays and reference letters also got you there for a reason, so have faith!

I know a current intern at Fulton has raved about how great it is. I wasn’t listening to the details because it’s not anywhere near my personal training goals. I don’t know if that’s helpful but my top picks are all sites where the current interns seemed happy with their placement and training opportunities.
They don't have current interns.. was this someone you spoke to last year perhaps?

Omg, I have been having the same EXACT thoughts. There was also a couple of questions at one site I KNOW I missed because they kept asking "anything else?" and then I realized the answer later. UGH. I also keep changing my rank order because I can't decide if it's important to network in the state I want to be licensed in or go to a site that has a *little* more training in that area. I hope I don't regret my rank order later. :( Good luck though, and I'm sure it's normal for us all to feel this way!

Members don't see this ad :)
I kept going back and forth with my top 2 sites. I think I’d be really happy at both but finally but the one in the lower cost of living city as #1. With daycare and housing the difference in location might be $1k per month or more.

I had to go back and re-read the email from them, they are post-doc there right now! Sorry about that! Weird they don’t have current interns?

You’re fine I was just checking and thanks for letting me know they love it there! Yeah I’m guessing it’s because of the area because a lot of the applicants were complaining about it.

You’re fine I was just checking and thanks for letting me know they love it there! Yeah I’m guessing it’s because of the area because a lot of the applicants were complaining about it.

I don’t know where you are from or how familiar you are with the area, but I lived in Columbia for 8 years and LOVED it. Fulton is a small town but you could easily live in CoMo or between the two.

Plus, you would be SO close to Hermann!

Which could be really exciting or not at all of interest depending on your feelings towards old German settlements and town-wide wine parties. I once won a Polka competition there!

I'm sure it's normal for us all to feel this way!

@areyoubusy

Yes, I agree it’s normal, and it’s catastrophizing. Cortisol man, it makes you think less clearly, during the interview, and maybe now too. First of all, everyone is stressed and not performing their best on interviews despite their best efforts. Second, I would hope a bunch of clinicians would understand that (our interviewers). Third, breathe and rebalance that thought

Omg, I have been having the same EXACT thoughts. There was also a couple of questions at one site I KNOW I missed because they kept asking "anything else?" and then I realized the answer later. UGH. I also keep changing my rank order because I can't decide if it's important to network in the state I want to be licensed in or go to a site that has a *little* more training in that area. I hope I don't regret my rank order later. :( Good luck though, and I'm sure it's normal for us all to feel this way!

No, no, no, no, NO! Don't go dark friends! We got this. Most of us pick apart all the little mistakes we made during this stressful process. Heck, I was so nervous I completely missed a PTSD diagnosis in a case vignette...AT THE VA! :smack:

I truly believe that they are understanding about these mistakes given our nerves. We did our best and I 100% believe that we are all going to be okay in the end, even if we don't match in Phase I. It's all going to be okay. I promise you!

Reactions: 2 users
With just over 30 hours to go until our rank lists are irrevocably sent off to the big NMS computer in the sky to decide our futures....

giphy.gif

...is anyone else *reeaaaalllly* hoping Greg Keilin drops by to tell us that we all did our best and that everything is going to be okay?

#reassuranceseeking #wheresgregk

i think he actually sends an email like that, soon

All we have to do is certify our rankings, right? I’m so paranoid about this haha

All we have to do is certify our rankings, right? I’m so paranoid about this haha

Yeah. Once you certify, you get a message that there’s nothing left for you to do, which was pretty reassuring. Even so, I still feel like I missed something.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah. Once you certify, you get a message that there’s nothing left for you to do, which was pretty reassuring. Even so, I still feel like I missed something.

Same omg! Also, what if someone hacked us?! I’m crazy haha

No, no, no, no, NO! Don't go dark friends! We got this. Most of us pick apart all the little mistakes we made during this stressful process. Heck, I was so nervous I completely missed a PTSD diagnosis in a case vignette...AT THE VA! :smack:

I truly believe that they are understanding about these mistakes given our nerves. We did our best and I 100% believe that we are all going to be okay in the end, even if we don't match in Phase I. It's all going to be okay. I promise you!
Thanks for the support you've provided throughout the thread! I made a similar mistake with a case vignette. This gives me hope that it's common.

Thanks for the support you've provided throughout the thread! I made a similar mistake with a case vignette. This gives me hope that it's common.
It just gives me joy that there's a place we can all go to lift each other up. I've gotten a lot of comfort here. :)

I realized immediately afterward, but it was too late to say something. If it makes anybody feel better, I received a very nice response to my thank you email from the TD at this site so I don't think it was a deal-breaker.

Anyone else wondering what the NMS site will say after the deadline? “Nothing to see here, please wait until the 22nd.”

dont know how the next 15/16 days are going to pass, time seems to insanely slow down when you're paying attention to it

I'm CONVINCED I'm not going to match, and am thinking about how awkward it'll be when I have to tell the 9 million people who know about this process. I bombed all my interviews :(

I'm CONVINCED I'm not going to match, and am thinking about how awkward it'll be when I have to tell the 9 million people who know about this process. I bombed all my interviews :(

Are you sure you bombed them? What makes you think that??

Are you sure you bombed them? What makes you think that??

Nah, i'm not sure, I'm just worried and nitpcking each of my answers... At the time I felt fairly confident. Ah well, I submitted my rankings. It's all out of my hands now. Good luck to everyone!!

Don't catastrophize! Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you have an interview where the interviewer really liked you? Even if that's not your top choice, it suggests that you did not bomb all of your interviews! Also, you seem to care a great deal and I think that is a really important quality that comes through in interviews.

If you don't end up matching this time, it will be okay. There's Phase II or you can reapply next year when you can capitalize on the golden knowledge you've acquired throughout this process.

And if those 9 million people have anything to say, just send them our way! :slap:

(but I still think you're going to match)

Nah, i'm not sure, I'm just worried and nitpcking each of my answers... At the time I felt fairly confident. Ah well, I submitted my rankings. It's all out of my hands now. Good luck to everyone!!

I felt like I bombed some, did eh on others, and most I couldn’t get a feel either way. Hopefully this is an internship subtype of imposter syndrome! I’m sure you did fine and will match

I can’t believe rankings are officially past due! I want to log in but am afraid of messing something up

I desperately needed to know what the website looked like after the deadline - rankings are locked and there's a new "Match Result" button! So fancy.

Good luck everyone!!! Keep your heads up :)

Reactions: 7 users
I desperately needed to know what the website looked like after the deadline - rankings are locked and there's a new "Match Result" button! So fancy.

Thank you for being brave! Haha. That little stamp is so reassuring!

I wish I could click on the "Match Result" button to see preliminary results before all the checking and double checking has occurred. haha

I summarize that email with "So, return to overreacting every time your phone rings."

So what are everyone's planned coping strategies for the next 2 weeks? Mine are: watching MANY episodes of survivor (i'm in a quest to watch all seasons), drinking wine, and constant self-talk about how it doesn't matter because I am AWESOME!

Reactions: 4 users
I plan on trying lots of new recipes, working out three times a week, and catching up on all of my favorite reality TV shows

i've been watching lots of TV (recently finished Assassination of Gianni Versace - it's brilliant!) and reading books. quickly realized that thoughts of matching/not-matching are going to stick around and i'm going to feel a certain amount of anxiety/frustration most of the time

I plan on trying lots of new recipes, working out three times a week, and catching up on all of my favorite reality TV shows
Ugh, you're so much better at life than me. I plan on sitting on my couch in comfy clothes seven days a week. eating mac and cheese, and catching up on all of my favorite reality tv shows.

i've been watching lots of TV (recently finished Assassination of Gianni Versace - it's brilliant!) and reading books. quickly realized that thoughts of matching/not-matching are going to stick around and i'm going to feel a certain amount of anxiety/frustration most of the time

How great was Darren Criss?! And Ricky Martin surprised me, for realz!