PhD/PsyD APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I matched- to a site low on my list but that I somehow knew I would end up at. It's very very far away and I feel scared but excited...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I matched! And I get to move back to my home state!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Matched at my number 2 (which was really my #1 but swapped last minute and regretted it)!!! So excited!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I matched to my #1. Seriously having doubts about my orientation to reality right now—this is surreal!!

To those who didn't match, you are going to be a great psychologist and this is just a blip in the master plan. You're gonna CRUSH Phase II. Rooting for you!!!

Reactions: 14 users
I know of at least one person in neuro who did not match last year and matched at what would be considered by many a top tier site this year.

Reactions: 5 users
I matched with my #2. My wife and I are very excited about it! However, it'll be a huge move... over 2000 miles. We'll have to figure out how to do that with a 2 year old toddler.

Reactions: 6 users
Matched at my #1!!!!!!! So excited!!!!! Charleston Consortium! Ready for palm trees and ocean instead of flat corn fields!!!!!!!!

Congrats to everyone! You will all end up somewhere great whether it's in Phase I, Phase II, or next year! You have worked hard for this!

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Matched at my #1 site!!! San Diego here I come!! Thanks to everyone on this forum for the support, interview notifications, and humor.

I matched with my #2. My wife and I are very excited about it! However, it'll be a huge move... over 2000 miles. We'll have to figure out how to do that with a 2 year old toddler.

Same 2000miles move with my husband, a 6mo baby, and two cats that HATE car rides with a passion!!!

"Internship training directors are encouraged to contact matched applicants by telephone as soon as possible after (but not before) 11:00 a.m. Eastern Time on the APPIC Match Day for each Phase of the Match. On each APPIC Match Day, no contact between internship sites and matched applicants should occur prior to 11:00 a.m. Eastern Time."

"Internship training directors are encouraged to contact matched applicants by telephone as soon as possible after (but not before) 11:00 a.m. Eastern Time on the APPIC Match Day for each Phase of the Match. On each APPIC Match Day, no contact between internship sites and matched applicants should occur prior to 11:00 a.m. Eastern Time."

Thank you!

I also did not match and I’m really not quite sure how to feel about it. Mostly I feel disappointed, anxious, and non stop overthinking each of my interviews.
Same. Also the only one in my cohort who didnt match, so imposter syndrome is feeling vindicated. Im trying to focus on facts instead of assumptions/stories/opinions/negative self talk. Facts are, i didnt match, there's still phase 2, i will get through all of this.

Same. Also the only one in my cohort who didnt match, so imposter syndrome is feeling vindicated. Im trying to focus on facts instead of assumptions/stories/opinions/negative self talk. Facts are, i didnt match, there's still phase 2, i will get through all of this.
I want you both to know that even though you are going to phase 2 it is all going to be okay. Last year, I didn’t match in phase 1 and felt completely overwhelmed with the idea of having to start over and do all of the materials over again. Even though it was tough, it gave me the opportunity to further expand my boundaries of states and apply to some sites that were honestly better fits me than many of the sites I applied to in phase 1. Phase 2 does not define who you are as a psychologist or clinician. It is a small bump in the road, but you are stronger than this and can push through. I ended up matching to my #1 site in phase 2 and it is a perfect match for me. I am SO happy with how it all played out. I hope this is an encouraging message to you and I hope you can get back up and kick butt during phase 2! Keep going, YOU GOT THIS & YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH!! :)

Reactions: 16 users
Congrats to everyone who matched, and to those who didn't, rooting for you in Phase 2!

Matched to my #2, but still happy about it - my #1 only had one spot so I was prepared not to get it. Thanks for the online camaraderie you all provided throughout this process :)

I'm super eager to meet the other members of my cohort!! Hope to be connected w/ them soon!

I matched at my #2 and am so happy! There was maybe a sliver separating my #1 and #2 so I couldn’t be more excited.

Good luck to the folks in Phase II. It looks like there are some great sites in there!

I am excited to meet my internship cohort!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Matched to my #2! If anyone will be in the NY/NJ area and would like to connect, let me know. :)

Thank you all again for providing support, humor, and faith!

Reactions: 2 users
Sending positive vibes to those who matched as well as didn’t at this phase.

I matched at my #2, which should have been my #1, it’s the best fit for me and I am thrilled! All of that time and effort on the front end examining countless sites, writing thoughtful essays, and tailoring, tailoring, tailoring paid off. Whew!

If anyone is going to be in Hawaii, really at any site...let me know!!! I’m gonna be looking for friends for sure haha

Matched to my #2! :clap::biglove: Thrilled and beyond relieved. Congrats to everyone who matched!! :highfive: And to those who didn't, sincere wishes for you to find your perfect match in phase II!! You got this!!! :love:

Reactions: 4 users

Doing the same! We have a 2-year and my husband will have to split time between internship state and home state.

We can do this!

And I don’t want to out anyone...but maybe we met in Oregon? ;)

If so (or if not!) we got this. Congrats on your match!

Hi everyone! I wanted to sign on to thank everyone for the information on this forum through a very stressful process. I am ecstatic to report that I got my number one! I also only ranked one site, for family reasons, so I feel so blessed and want people to know there is always hope and sometimes things work against all odds.

Reactions: 7 users
And I don’t want to out anyone...but maybe we met in Oregon? ;)

If so (or if not!) we got this. Congrats on your match!

I actually did not interview in Oregon, so it's not me. It would have been fun though to make such a connection!

Congrats on your match and good luck with your own move!

Really eager to find out who is in my internship cohort. Do we know when people typically find this information out?

I’m also the only one who didn’t match. It really made me doubt myself and my abilities. I have to remind myself I’m in a very different situation than my cohort mates (I need to match regionally in a very collective states for family reasons) and that there is in fact a phase 2 with great sites left. Some actually might be better than my original sites now that I’m expanding my regional boundaries. I’m wishing you the best and I hope to see that we’ve both matched in a month :)

Matched at my #1!!!!!!! So excited!!!!! Charleston Consortium! Ready for palm trees and ocean instead of flat corn fields!!!!!!!!

Congrats to everyone! You will all end up somewhere great whether it's in Phase I, Phase II, or next year! You have worked hard for this!
I am going to Charleston too!!! Congrats & see you soon.[/QUOTE]

So many people don’t match in phase I, and sometimes in either phase and not until the following year, but yet go on to become amazing psychologists! I’ve heard and witnessed these types of stories throughout my grad school career. This is just a bump in the road! An opportunity for growth and discovering your strength. Keep your chin up!

Reactions: 4 users
Really eager to find out who is in my internship cohort. Do we know when people typically find this information out?

I am also wondering when we will find out who else will be in our cohort!

Reactions: 1 users
One question - if we graduated from non-accredited internship, but later, the internship program was accredited, then we can say we finished apa accredited internship?

One question - if we graduated from non-accredited internship, but later, the internship program was accredited, then we can say we finished apa accredited internship?

Only if it became accredited during the time you were there.

Reactions: 1 users
Only if it became accredited during the time you were there.

Thank you. What about the opposite? We started when the site was accredited, but during training year, the site got probation, or lost accreditation, etc? Then we're graduating from non-accredited?

Thank you. What about the opposite? We started when the site was accredited, but during training year, the site got probation, or lost accreditation, etc? Then we're graduating from non-accredited?

Regarding your prior question: accreditation is retroactive to the date of the site visit that resulted in accreditation.

For this question: if the site is placed on probation while you're there and remains as such when you finish out your year, it's still accredited. If accreditation is removed while you're there and remains as such when you finish, then yes, it would be unaccredited (even if it re-gains accreditation later). If a site loses accreditation after you've completed the internship, that doesn't affect you.

Regarding your prior question: accreditation is retroactive to the date of the site visit that resulted in accreditation.
That’s no longer true as of a couple of years ago. Now it’s the date of the meeting when accreditation status is set by the COA. Which is typically several months after the site visit. APA has to change it because the accrediting body that accredits them said it wasn’t allowed.

Ok, friends - does anyone who interviewed at the following sites or have experience there feel comfortable messaging me about their experience and the program? Trying to figure out where to apply in Phase II but it's tough to get a sense of places without going :(

Central Arkansas VA
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
South Texas VA
UCSD Pain/Bmed track
Memphis VA
Hamptom VA
Central Western Mass VA
Coatesville VA
Geisinger Medical Center
McGuire VA
University of Kansas Medical Center
Harlingen VA (Texas Valley Coastal Bend)
Buffalo VA (Western NY)

Ok, friends - does anyone who interviewed at the following sites or have experience there feel comfortable messaging me about their experience and the program? Trying to figure out where to apply in Phase II but it's tough to get a sense of places without going :(

Central Arkansas VA
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
South Texas VA
UCSD Pain/Bmed track
Memphis VA
Hamptom VA
Central Western Mass VA
Coatesville VA
Geisinger Medical Center
McGuire VA
University of Kansas Medical Center
Harlingen VA (Texas Valley Coastal Bend)
Buffalo VA (Western NY)

I don’t have any info about the sites listed, but I interviewed with Truman Medical Centers and thought they were great. I just noticed U of Kansas on your list, same area and has some overlap in training opportunities.

Last edited: