APPIC Internship Interview Invitation Thread (2020)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Me today, wanting the rest of my 7 notifications.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Official Site Name: Utah state CAPS
Date Invitation Received: 12/2/19
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Phone
Offered Interview Dates: 1/2-1/10

Reactions: 2 users
Does the program state any policy on interview scheduling? Sometimes that information is provided in the invitation email (if there was one), in their brochure, or on their website. Some sites state that once you have submitted your preferences and/or scheduled your interview you can no longer change the dates whereas others appear to be more flexible.
The preference for MGH was just stated in my cover letter. So I'm thinking it might be good to shoot them an email preemptively, since I just scheduled the interview for Stony Brook? I'm not expecting to get an interview at MGH, since applicants received offers a couple of weeks ago, but on the off chance that they do extend an invite, I'd want it to be for a date I can make.

Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: Orlando VAMC
Date Invitation Received: 12/2
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General
Offered Interview Dates: 01/03, 01/10

Official Site Name: Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal email
Offered Interview Dates: 1/6-1/10

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Not me. Thus far, I got two rejections this morning. Truman VA, and Orlando VA. I am in just disbelief.

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Their brochure states they will notify applicants tomorrow (which is different than the APPIC website, which stated by 11/30). We should hear tomorrow! Very excited about that site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you heard anything? I hate waiting. I think 11/30 was probably last year's.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking about it.

I did. Over the past 3 days I've applied to about 3 more. Added more AMCs, changed my cover letters. Clearly I am just a terrible terrible applicant for VAs. God forbid.

• Love
Official Site Name: Southeast Louisiana Veterans Health Care System
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): personal email
Offered Interview Dates: 1/6-1/10

Is this for the general track?

I did. Over the past 3 days I've applied to about 3 more. Added more AMCs, changed my cover letters. Clearly I am just a terrible terrible applicant for VAs. God forbid.
This process is bs. I've heard faculty saying that they see qualified people not match and average students match. It's not you.

I have so much anxiety.
I am with you. We all could use a few deep breaths and an acceptance that whatever is meant to be will be. We are all strong and resilient people with drive and motivation. In the end, we will all be okay (whatever that looks like).

Reactions: 8 users
"You know you're applying to internship when":
I sent myself an email and got excited when I saw the notification :lol: this process has rattled my brain a bit.

• Haha
Reactions: 20 users
The preference for MGH was just stated in my cover letter. So I'm thinking it might be good to shoot them an email preemptively, since I just scheduled the interview for Stony Brook? I'm not expecting to get an interview at MGH, since applicants received offers a couple of weeks ago, but on the off chance that they do extend an invite, I'd want it to be for a date I can make.
I am in the same situation with another site, not MGH. I already scheduled someone else on the preferred day I gave them in my cover letter. I am not sure what to do about that.
I am also waiting for a site that hasn't posted any possible interview dates and I am not sure what to do if all the dates they offer are already taken by other interviews.

Y'all it is SILENCE over here!
Same!!! Still waiting on 18! But the West LA VA sent out acceptances so I'm assuming that is a rejection so I guess I'm waiting on 17 now?? lol I knew VA's would be a long shot but I still wish they would send out rejections and acceptances together!

Reactions: 1 users
If you committed to an interview but then a more desirable site offers you an interview (and it's impossible to do both) is it terrible to cancel? Do you go on some secret list of flakes to never be trusted?

If you committed to an interview but then a more desirable site offers you an interview (and it's impossible to do both) is it terrible to cancel? Do you go on some secret list of flakes to never be trusted?
I would try to reschedule or opt for a phone interview. My program told us we need to accept all interviews unless completely impossible to attend (and they would need to be privy to this decision).

I would try to reschedule or opt for a phone interview. My program told us we need to accept all interviews unless completely impossible to attend (and they would need to be privy to this decision).

Similar. Our program says we need to attend our interviews in person.

My program is pretty hands off when it comes to the actual interviews, I'm just concerned about being rude to the TD....but I'll attempt to reschedule (no phone option).

Last edited:
Official Site Name: AMITA Health--Alexian Brothers Behavioral Health Hospital
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal Email?
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Peds Neuropsychology
Offered Interview Dates: 1/13, 1/24
If & How you're staying sane: Lots of yoga. Like maybe too much?

Official Site Name: Corporal Michael J. Crescenz VAMC
Offered Interview Dates: 12/13, 12/16, 12/17, 1/3 and 1/6 (both morning and afternoon interview options on all days). Telephone interviews available on 1/7 and 1/10

Rejection: Edith Nourse Rogers Memorial Veterans Hospital - 12/2/19

Was the Corporal Michael J. Crescenz VAMC interview invite for a specific track? If not, have any neuropsych folks heard back from this VA?

Official Site Name: UNC - Chapel Hill CAPS
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): eating disorders & body image training
Offered Interview Dates: Phone Interviews between 12/6 - 12/19
(In honor of last year) If & How you're staying sane: netflix & spin classes

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Was the Corporal Michael J. Crescenz VAMC interview invite for a specific track? If not, have any neuropsych folks heard back from this VA?

I was offered an interview for the neuropsych track this morning. A colleague was sent a rejection for the same track around the same time.

FYI, CHOP added a third interview day (1/15) to accommodate some people who couldn’t make either of the originally proposed interview days (1/10 and 1/17).

Last edited:
Official Site Name: Chillicothe VAMC
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General
Offered Interview Dates: 12/17/19, 1/6/20, and 1/10/20

I also got a mass email rejection from Durham VAMC yesterday.

I'm wondering this, too! I didn't get a call last week . . . and haven't received a rejection either.
Same boat.

Same here. Ditto McLean Hospital (anyone had a rejection from them yet?)

Heard from all but 4 of my sites (two of them being two of my top choices on paper) so far and feeling worried although I know I will be fine even if I don't get any more interviews :/ Just really hope to have more answers by the end of this week so I can schedule travel (or not).

Lol and as soon as I posted that, I got a notification.

Official Site Name: New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical College
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: 1/16, 1/17, NO phone option

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I'm sorry :( if it helps there are a few sites I applied to in my initial batch that have December deadlines that are actually really great sites (that aren't as competitive too).

Thanks! I'm really ok with the rejections now (the first one was tough though)- just feeling like I want some security in getting a few more interviews. I have my December list ready to go in case I don't get more interviews over the next few days.

Has anyone heard from Friends Hospital? Their notification date is supposedly today and my anxiety is HIGH haha

"You know you're applying to internship when":
I sent myself an email and got excited when I saw the notification :lol: this process has rattled my brain a bit.

GAP CYBER MONDAY YOU JUST INSPIRED MY WRATH

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Lol and as soon as I posted that, I got a notification.

Official Site Name: New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical College
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Offered Interview Dates: 1/16, 1/17, NO phone option

Awww, that makes me so happy. What nice timing.

• Love
As a last hope, would be there anyone who got invitation from WPIC and who would like to do 1/10 interview for WPIC instead of 1/17 interview (if you already picked 1/17 and have any changes in your schedule)? I might need to turn down their invitation because of conflicting schedule on the same date that I already set up, but just would like to try to reach out, because I would like to do my best to arrange it.

They sent out an email this am to the 1/17 people asking if anyone was willing to switch - hope someone has some flexibility! Unfortunately I already had another interview scheduled for 1/10 so can't help.

I am with you. We all could use a few deep breaths and an acceptance that whatever is meant to be will be. We are all strong and resilient people with drive and motivation. In the end, we will all be okay (whatever that looks like).
Thank you!!

Rejection from Oakes Children's Center!

I have not been hurt/offended by a rejection so far until today! I was rejected from UC San Francisco, University of Washington, and Western State Hospital. Although a little bummed because I would've loved to interview at those places, I wasn't hurt or taking it personally, and just assumed they saw something in my essays or cover letter that led them to believe their site would not be a good fit for me.

But in my mind, those are more "competitive" sites, as they receive a large volume of applications and accept few applicants. Oakes Children's Center is accredited on contingency, and I applied to it as a safety site :scared:. I got rejected by something I thought was "safe"!

I am trying to tell myself that they are partially affiliated with the Wright Institute, and maybe gave all of their spots to them. Or maybe there was something in my cover letter that didn't represent my interest well enough. Although I wasn't passionate about this site, it somehow hurts more than the ones I really liked!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
You know what would be absolutely AMAZING?!---If there was a handy dandy spreadsheet with every internship site listed along with their specific method for extending interviews.

For example:
SITE NAME-The Academic Medical Center for Anxious Applicants (AMCAA)

INTERVIEW INVITE METHOD-Our site extends interviews in waves of ten at least two weeks apart in order to generate the utmost level of anxiety in our prospective interns. Although we are aware that we have a date listed for an interview invitation, we like to spice things up by extending interviews randomly at different dates using different invite extension patterns as well as sometimes mimicking modern dating's "slow fade" or "ghosting" techniques. Ultimately, we believe in the trial by fire method of teaching individuals distress tolerance.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 24 users
Rejection from Oakes Children's Center!

I have not been hurt/offended by a rejection so far until today! I was rejected from UC San Francisco, University of Washington, and Western State Hospital. Although a little bummed because I would've loved to interview at those places, I wasn't hurt or taking it personally, and just assumed they saw something in my essays or cover letter that led them to believe their site would not be a good fit for me.

But in my mind, those are more "competitive" sites, as they receive a large volume of applications and accept few applicants. Oakes Children's Center is accredited on contingency, and I applied to it as a safety site :scared:. I got rejected by something I thought was "safe"!

I am trying to tell myself that they are partially affiliated with the Wright Institute, and maybe gave all of their spots to them. Or maybe there was something in my cover letter that didn't represent my interest well enough. Although I wasn't passionate about this site, it somehow hurts more than the ones I really liked!

It's just easier for me to be bitter towards my rejections, yell obscenities, and call BS. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard from (invitations or rejections) Vanderbilt University Medical Center Internship in Professional Psychology? Specifically, the Child and Adolescent track with rotations at the Vanderbilt Mental Health Center and Vanderbilt Center of Excellence for Children in State Custody?

I thought I saw people post about this site awhile but wasn’t sure if it was a different track!