Oct 24, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
If there is anyone on here that has already gone through the match process in past years...... in particular neuro.....

what are some typical interview questions to prepare for? I am feeling nervous about zoom interviews!
Here's something I saw on time2track : https://time2track.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Sample-APPIC-Internship-Interview-Questions.pdf
Maybe you could ask a friend to help you rehearse so you don't feel as nervous during the real interview.

Nov 19, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
Has anyone received a rejection from NYU Bellevue, particularly the child track? I saw that some have received interviews, but I haven’t heard either way from them yet. Thanks!

Aug 16, 2014
Status
  1. Psychology Student
If there is anyone on here that has already gone through the match process in past years...... in particular neuro.....

what are some typical interview questions to prepare for? I am feeling nervous about zoom interviews!

I have not previously applied, but here is what I learned in my mock interview with a TD at a site I did not apply to:

1) Test your setup early (speakers, microphone, lighting, camera position) to make sure everything is actually working. We did actually have sound issues mid-interview and it ended up being on their end, but we survived.
2) Be prepared to talk about your dissertation - topic choice, current status, how it will help you with future career plans
3) Expected questions from them include - why our site? where do you see yourself in 5 years? tell us about your diversity experiences/training? tell us about a challenging client? tell us about a great client? tell us about your theoretical orientation and how you adapt if a client is not improving?
4) It is weird if you do not have any questions for them and those questions need to be something that cannot be answered just by reading the brochure/website.
5) To avoid brain fartage it is ok to have your application materials open in another window or printed for easy reference.
6) Since no one can see your surroundings it is ok if you have something nearby that is calming. For me this was a relaxing essential oil in the diffuser and one of those stress balls.
7) The interview itself may be capped at 30 minutes, so it may not be wise to be long winded.

About the Ads
Nov 18, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
Folks who got an interview with Nationwide Children's Hospital: have you been told which date your interview has been scheduled for? I sent them my date rankings right away when I got their email on Tuesday, but haven't heard back as of yet. Other sites I got invitations from have gotten back to me within a day or two, so I'm wondering if maybe something slipped through the cracks (nothing in my spam box).

In the spirit of transparency and normalizing rejections: I got a rejection from Kennedy Krieger yesterday

Staying sane this weekend by cleaning my apartment and virtual coffee dates with friends. :)
Ohhh cleaning is my go-to for sanity also. I’m thinking of doing a spring clean of my closet sometime soon

Reactions: PhDon't
Sep 29, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
Quick DM update!

Official Site Name: University of Texas Health Science Center
Date Invitation Received: 11/16/20
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Interview Dates Offered: 12/4, 12/7, 12/11, 12/14, 12/18

Official Site Name: University of Kansas Medical Center
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Comprehensive Track
Interview Dates Offered: 12/11/20
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: cleaning, revising manuscripts, and playing with my kitten

Hope everyone’s weathering this waiting storm well enough! After updating the list I’ll be offline for a few days (thanks much for the Netflix recs) but will post new interviews by the end of the week.

*Also* we are officially less than 3 months to match day!

Nov 21, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
Official Site Name: Oregon Health and Science University
Date Invitation Received: 11/20/2020
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email (email indicated it should have been sent on Tuesday but there was a glitch)
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Peds Neuro
Interview Dates Offered: 1/5; 1/8
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Watching B-list Holiday Movies

Nov 15, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
Quick DM update!

Official Site Name: University of Texas Health Science Center
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Interview Dates Offered: 12/4, 12/7, 12/11, 12/14, 12/18

Official Site Name: University of Kansas Medical Center
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Comprehensive Track
Interview Dates Offered: 12/11/20
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: cleaning, revising manuscripts, and playing with my kitten

Hope everyone’s weathering this waiting storm well enough! After updating the list I’ll be offline for a few days (thanks much for the Netflix recs) but will post new interviews by the end of the week.

*Also* we are officially less than 3 months to match day!
Is University of Texas Health Science Center the Tyler location or the San Antonio location?

Feb 17, 2018

As with any interview you will Get a range of questions. Other posters have some of the typical ones, such as dissertation, research experience, career goals, other annoying ones (I once got asked which three people in the history of the world who i would want to have dinner with).

As for neuro-focused questions, some sites may grill you on knowledge. Some ask about cases you’ve seen, others ask to interpret results or theorize about a hypothetical case on the fly. Some ask you to describe a clinical condition and the interviewer pimps you on different facets of the disorders (for instance, AD pathology, possible imaging findings, expected test findings, etc). Some do writing samples as well.

From my experience, those sites that ask content-heavy questions are interested in a few things. 1. That you have a base level of knowledge. 2. Even if you don’t know everything, that you’re thoughtful and can realize your limitations and make educated guesses (for instance, not knowing every detail of the pathological mechanisms of ischemic strokes, but being able to guess that loss of oxygen can lead to a cascade of negative things). 3. That you’re teachable - no one expects you to know everything but having a sense of humility and growth-mindset is much better than assuming you know everything (somewhat related, if you are using terminology, make sure you are using it correctly). At the end of the day, the goal is not to trip you up, but to make sure you have a base knowledge and are willing to grow further, IMO.

About the Ads
Nov 17, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
Official site name: Nemours/A.I. duPont Hospital for Children
Date invitation received: 11/23/20, 7:00 AM CST
Method of invitation: Mass email
Track: Pediatric Psychology
Dates: 12/11, 1/4, 1/15

As a side note, received an official rejection from Nationwide (mass email) and suspected (but unconfirmed) rejections from Baylor College of Med and Children's Mercy.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2013
Status
I haven’t heard back from many of the sites where I have applied. I’m getting really nervous!
I totally feel you and feel the same way on an emotional level! BUT in my head I know it’s still so early and many many places don’t give out interviews until after Thanksgiving. Every time I talk to my friends who have gone through this already and hear that from them it makes me feel better, though the relief can be short lived before panic sets in again...I also found it helpful to look at the previous years threads on here to see when my sites typically give out interviews so maybe that will help reassure you too!

Nov 23, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
I totally feel you and feel the same way on an emotional level! BUT in my head I know it’s still so early and many many places don’t give out interviews until after Thanksgiving. Every time I talk to my friends who have gone through this already and hear that from them it makes me feel better, though the relief can be short lived before panic sets in again...I also found it helpful to look at the previous years threads on here to see when my sites typically give out interviews so maybe that will help reassure you too!
Thank you for your support. I keep hearing so many different things about interviews, so it’s hard to determine either way.
Don’t rejections typically come before interviews?

Jun 1, 2013
Status
Thank you for your support. I keep hearing so many different things about interviews, so it’s hard to determine either way.
Don’t rejections typically come before interviews?
No problem :) I know this process really sucks and support is very necessary. I think it really truly depends on the site. I went through the previous years and looked at when my sites offered interviews and rejections and it was such a mix-some send them all out at once, some send interviews first and rejections awhile later, and maybe some send rejections first.

Nov 9, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
I haven’t heard back from many of the sites where I have applied. I’m getting really nervous!
Obviously I'm not sure where you applied, but I'm in the same boat. My dct also warned us some places wait until the last minute to notify, and counseling centers are notorious for notifying last. Especially if you're comparing them to federal sites like BOP and VA's.

About the Ads
Nov 14, 2020
I am right there with you in both the situation of no interviews and the panic! I will say though it seems like more competitive sites are often the ones that send invites earlier, so it leads to disproportionately high rejections at the start. Hang in there while it levels out a bit more!!!

WisNeuro

Board Certified Neuropsychologist
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
  1. Psychologist
I think the waiting is by far the most stressful aspect of the application process!

That part is as stressful as you let it be. Between my practicum and being knee deep in dissertation data collection and writing sections of dissertation and other manuscripts, I didn't have much time to stress about hearing back. The invites and rejections will come when they come, find other things to keep you busy.

Nov 15, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
That part is as stressful as you let it be. Between my practicum and being knee deep in dissertation data collection and writing sections of dissertation and other manuscripts, I didn't have much time to stress about hearing back. The invites and rejections will come when they come, find other things to keep you busy.
I second this. Others who have been through the process have recommended staying busy - this has been one of the few things maintaining my sanity.

Reactions: student9295
Nov 23, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
I second this. Others who have been through the process have recommended staying busy - this has been one of the few things maintaining my sanity.
Is it me or is this application process worse than applying for doctoral programs? I never felt as stressed at that point.

Mar 10, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
Official Site Name: South Texas VHCS
Date Invitation Received: 11/23
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): neuropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: 12/22 or 1/8
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: work and writing
Congrats! I just got an invitation from there myself.

Official site name: South Texas VHCS
Date invitation received: 11/23/20 at ~9AM Eastern time
Method of invitation: Mass email
Track: General Mental Health
Dates: 12/8, 1/5, 1/15
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Holiday menu planning :)

Nov 9, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
Official Site Name: Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital
Date Invitation Received: November 23rd, 2020
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): n/a
Interview Dates Offered: Weeks of 11/30 and 12/7
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Staying grateful :)

About the Ads
Nov 14, 2020
Is it me or is this application process worse than applying for doctoral programs? I never felt as stressed at that point.
Yessss!!! For me it's because I just want to be done with school so badly at this point. And also it feels like there's more on the line - don't get into a doc program and you just go back to what you were doing. Don't get an internship and you have to figure out what to do with a very ambiguous year. Plus a healthy dose of pride/shame of course!

Nov 16, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
Definitely agreed. I was just thinking this all of last week. But in reality it's not fair to compare our situation to grad school apps or to previous internship app years. We're in the middle of a pandemic where most of us are a little more anxious than usual and "stay busy" is more difficult advice to follow! I'm trying to give myself a little bit of grace and focus on the fact that it's still early and past year notification dates don't mean as much this year. Fingers crossed for all of us! We'll get through it!

Mar 5, 2020
has anyone else ever been asked to be an "alternate" in case an interview spot becomes available by a site? Or even heard of this? A friend of mine recently had this happen with a site she applied to....just wondering if maybe this is because of COVID craziness

Oct 13, 2015
It’s actually the opposite for me. I feel very calm about this whole process. Calm but also very excited for the next chapter. Waiting sucks, of course, but I’m confident in my abilities and at this point, we’ve done all we possibly can to prepare for internship. I’m not worried about matching vs not matching. If I’m nervous about anything, it’s finding out *where* I’ll match—so that I can begin to tackle finding housing & readying for the move (in a pandemic, no less).

I was extremely anxious when applying to graduate school because I knew I wasn’t as “traditionally” prepared as more competitive students likely were (I had a ton of clinical training but very little research, and I applied to PhDs only) and I didn’t apply to very many programs. I had no plans after graduation because I knew what I wanted to do, that I needed to be a psychologist to do it, and the clinical job I had in my college town didn’t exist in my hometown, so I had no options to continue there (extremely expensive major city).

Unlike applying to grad school, I’m MUCH happier and excited this time around :)

May 24, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
Official Site Name: Yale
Date Invitation Received: 11/21
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Primary placement - Hispanic Clinic
Interview Dates Offered: 1/15 (based on my stated preference in CL)
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: mindfulness

Jul 14, 2017
Status
  1. Psychology Student
Official Site Name: VA Tennessee Valley HCS
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): neuropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: 12/4, 12/10, 12/17, 1/5
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: work and writing

Nov 16, 2020
Status
  1. Psychology Student
Official Site Name: VA Tennessee Valley Healthcare System (VA TVHS) (Nashville VAMC)
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General
Interview Dates Offered: 12/4, 12/10, 12/17, 1/5
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Feeling the stress but bicycling and jogging have helped!

Aug 16, 2014
Status
  1. Psychology Student
It’s actually the opposite for me. I feel very calm about this whole process. Calm but also very excited for the next chapter. Waiting sucks, of course, but I’m confident in my abilities and at this point, we’ve done all we possibly can to prepare for internship. I’m not worried about matching vs not matching. If I’m nervous about anything, it’s finding out *where* I’ll match—so that I can begin to tackle finding housing & readying for the move (in a pandemic, no less).

I was extremely anxious when applying to graduate school because I knew I wasn’t as “traditionally” prepared as more competitive students likely were (I had a ton of clinical training but very little research, and I applied to PhDs only) and I didn’t apply to very many programs. I had no plans after graduation because I knew what I wanted to do, that I needed to be a psychologist to do it, and the clinical job I had in my college town didn’t exist in my hometown, so I had no options to continue there (extremely expensive major city).

Unlike applying to grad school, I’m MUCH happier and excited this time around :)

Thank you for sharing this. I think this is exactly why I am calmer than I expected to be. Now if we were traveling for interviews, that constant movement would have rattled my nerves way more than the interviews themselves. In so many ways I feel like being a nontraditional graduate student has prepared me for this very circumstance and from my perspective there is way more working in my favor and in my control now compared to when I applied to graduate programs. For graduate programs the advice for nontraditional students was 'apply to 12-15 programs and hope for 2 interviews, but expect to re-apply for 3-4 cycles.' Pretty terrible odds given the investment. But for internship being nontraditional just seems to be less of a factor when it comes to the odds of being matched. And then of course there are more sites increasing their efforts to reach diverse students whether nontraditional or not and since both of those categories apply to me that creates a sense of being wanted whereas when I applied to programs there was a very clear sense I was being tolerated not actually wanted.

I too feel like I have done everything I could possibly do to prepare myself for a successful internship match. There were plenty of things that would have made me more competitive, but there are always going to be opportunities that will not be available. I'm not even concerned about where I will match because I put in a ton of work evaluating where I chose to apply. They all have some shortcoming and I am ok with that. I am also prepared for whatever the outcome is and for me that means having a series of contingency plans ready for action because there will not be time to dwell on what could have been.

The advice of staying busy coming from those who have already been there is easier said than done, especially with all the chaos no one can control, but it is not impossible. I think we all have more options to keep anxiety at bay then we may realize and it just may take some time to really see them.

Nov 2, 2014
Status
  1. Psychology Student
I feel like it has a different quality to it. I was very anxious during the grad school app process, but I was so excited to go to grad school and it was like embarking on a new long adventure. I am a little less excited to (potentially) uproot my life for a one year program that pays little, only to have to start the process of applying for post-docs etc. in a year! So for me the stress:excitement ratio is not as favorable as it was for grad school apps! Also maybe memories soften over time...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads