APPIC Interview Invitation Thread (2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did yours say that they will keep your application on file as well?
Yes! Cruelly keeping a hint of hope alive haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone noticing that the application numbers to most sites are higher than previous years?? I have had a handful of sites tell us that they are seeing an influx of applications. I wonder if this is connected to the Argosy debacle where those students are now getting back on track and applying, or is the pendulum beginning to swing back to fewer sites available?? I know this is completely anecdotal information given I only applied to 15 sites, but I was wondering if anyone else is pondering the same??
I think the standards were lower this year in terms of hours and other experiences due to COVID, which allowed students whose would have not applied otherwise if some programs did not lower the number of hours.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: Cincinnati VA
Date Invitation Received: 11/20
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: 12/9, 12/14, 1/5, 1/12, 1/19

Reactions: 5 users
Official site name: Cincinnati VA
Date invitation received: 11/20/20, 11:58 AM
Method of invitation: mass email
Track: trauma recovery center
Dates: 12/9, 12/14, 1/5, 1/12, 1/19

Might be due to COVID bringing mostly virtual interviews. Most applicants will not have to travel for interviews this year. Some of that money saved could be used for additional applications.
I was just discussing this the other day cause I have heard/seen the same with with huge increases in applicants. I think it is all the theories that everyone has said, plus I have heard of many cases of people who were planning to wait a year to apply but then either were able to catch up on dissertation progress due to the shutdowns or generally felt encouraged by the sites reducing intervention/assessment minimums. It makes me wonder if the whole "6 interviews = a match" holds true when sites are getting 30%+ more apps than usual :unsure:

What’s a pathway VA?
My mentor uses this term to describe intership programs that often get their top choices of applicants that usually come from major R1 APA programs (e.g., Ivys, Stanford, Minnesota, Washington ect.). They are excellent training and at the forfront of deseminating research.Their interns are then set to move into prestigious post-docs and gain highly competitive positions professionally. My lab sets us up well for VA intership and other VAs we consider to be pathways would include Seatte, Boston, Durham, Pal Alto to name a few...

Last edited:
  • Wow
I was just discussing this the other day cause I have heard/seen the same with with huge increases in applicants. I think it is all the theories that everyone has said, plus I have heard of many cases of people who were planning to wait a year to apply but then either were able to catch up on dissertation progress due to the shutdowns or generally felt encouraged by the sites reducing intervention/assessment minimums. It makes me wonder if the whole "6 interviews = a match" holds true when sites are getting 30%+ more apps than usual :unsure:
Good point but I'm not sure more apps means that a site will interview more people.

Reactions: 4 users
Beyond statistics, it's more important for interns to apply to sites they're a good fit for. Many students don't match, whether or not they get interviews, because they didn't apply to sites that matched their experiences/career goals. I'm still holding out hope for a couple of sites I know people have heard back from already, but if I don't get an invite I wouldn't be surprised (though disappointed) because those were "reaches" in terms of my ability to clearly state why I was a good match over someone with the more traditional training background the site may prefer.

My mentor uses this term to describe intership programs that often get their top choices of applicants that usually come from major R1 APA programs (e.g., Ivys, Stanford, Minnesota, Washington ect.). They are excellent training and at the forfront of deseminating research.Their interns are then set to move into prestigious post-docs and gain highly competitive positions professionally. My lab sets us up well for VA intership and other VAs we consider to be pathways would include Seatte, Boston, Durham, Pal Alto to name a few...

I'd say the Minneapolis VA is a very good site, though to say that they always get their top applicants is not the case. They were recently in Phase II a couple years back. Neuro track tends to get near its top, but that fluctuates.

Might be due to COVID bringing mostly virtual interviews. Most applicants will not have to travel for interviews this year. Some of that money saved could be used for additional applications.
This is my thinking also. Plus with not having to fly for interviews, people may be applying more widely to diverse geographic areas than they would if plotting the usual interview circuit.

Official site name: Kennedy Krieger Institute (Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine)
Date invitation received: 11/20/20, 10:00 AM CST
Method of invitation: Mass email
Track: Pediatric Psychology and Consultation Clinic
Dates: 1/11, 1/19, 1/25

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Official site name: Manhattan VA
Date invitation received: 11/20/20
Track: n/a
Dates: 12/8

Official Site Name: Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Children’s Hospital
Date Invitation Received: 11/19/20
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Clinical Child/Pediatrics
Interview Dates Offered: asked to provide M and Fs in January
AHHH!! Congrats! I am still waiting to hear back from them - same track! What time did you receive the email yesterday if you don't mind sharing!

Official site name: Kennedy Krieger Institute (Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine)
Date invitation received: 11/20/20, 10:00 AM CST
Track: Pediatric Psychology and Consultation Clinic
Dates: 1/11, 1/19, 1/25
Congratulations!! Waiting to hear on the Psychiatric Mental Health Program Track! So exciting emails seem to be coming in with more consistency.

Reactions: 1 user
Received my rejection from Medical College of Wisconsin - was really looking forward to this one. Sitting at 4 rejections and 1 interview. #anxiety lol

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 12 users
The fear of having to wait for more after the weekend is starting look like a reality at this point.

• Sad
Method of invitation: email
Track: Trauma Recovery Center

Official site name: Oregon Health & Sciences University
Track: Peds neuropsych
Dates: 1/5, 1/8

Reactions: 6 users
Did yours say that they will keep your application on file as well?
Yes, mine said that! My friends who are on internship now also said they received similar rejection letters last year. Unclear if it means anything, though.

Rejection from Cinicnnati VA - mass email
Rejection from Boston VA - personal email

• Care
  • Wow
Official Site Name: St. Louis VAHCS
Date Invitation Received: 11/20
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): general (although I applied to neuro)
Interview Dates Offered: 1/8, 1/15, 1/22
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: work and dissertation data analysis

Received my rejection from Medical College of Wisconsin - was really looking forward to this one. Sitting at 4 rejections and 1 interview. #anxiety lol
It's still very early! Hang in there <3

• Love
It'd be especially great to hear from the sites in my cell phone's area code so I could stop picking up these spam calls :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Track: Health
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Netflix!

2 rejections (Oregon Health and Science and Cincinnati Children's Hospital) and 1 waitlisted for interview (Rush). Anyone else received no interviews yet?

• Wow
  • Care
Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone heard from Rush's Clinical Neuropsychology Track yet?

2 rejections (Oregon Health and Science and Cincinnati Children's Hospital) and 1 waitlisted for interview (Rush). Anyone else received no interviews yet?
I'm right there with you - I haven't heard from any of my sites yet... I keep telling myself its just too early and they'll come when we get closer to December.. BUT having a hard time sitting with the uncertainty/waiting period.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Same!! Ah well. It was a reach in the first place, and holy damnnn they got a lot of applicants this year!! 321
I'm sorry about the rejection! They really sting. I'm curious: How are folks seeing the number of applicants from this year?

Well, I got an interview at Mlps and I’m definitely not from one of those schools. maybe times are a-changing!

Reactions: 8 users
1 rejection (Oregon) and complete silence from the other 16 places over here...

• Care
  • Sad
Official site name: Charleston Consortium (MUSC)
Method of invitation: personalized email
Track: Trauma
Dates: December 4th, 11th, 18th; January 8th, 15th, 22nd
December 7th, 14th; January 4th, 11th, 25th
January 9th
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Lots of exercise and ice cream

January 9th
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Lots of exercise and ice cream
I got this too for neuropsychology

January 9th
Congratulations! I applied to their b.med track - hope some good news comes from here!

Congratulations! I applied to their b.med track - hope some good news comes from here!
I applied to multiple tracks but behavioral med was one of them. hope to hear back soon as well! good luck to us :)

January 9th
I got this too for neuropsychology

What time did you get the email?

I applied to multiple tracks but behavioral med was one of them. hope to hear back soon as well! good luck to us :)

What time did you get the email?
My email was at 4:58 eastern. They are very personalized though (like picked out faculty that they think meet your interests) so I feel like it’s very rolling

My email was at 4:58 eastern. They are very personalized though (like picked out faculty that they think meet your interests) so I feel like it’s very rolling
Good to know - thanks for the information! I'm waiting to hear back regarding multiple tracks.

Ah yes, I knew it was rolling and that different tracks might notify at different times. That’s great that they’re so personalized! If you don’t mind sharing, did the faculty match the ones you listed in the cover letter?

Ah yes, I knew it was rolling and that different tracks might notify at different times. That’s great that they’re so personalized! If you don’t mind sharing, did the faculty match the ones you listed in the cover letter?
yes, mine did!