APPIC Interview Invitation Thread (2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah as much as it would suck to have to do Phase II match, I have similarly heard of many good outcomes from Phase II match, in my program at least- here's some info from last year to help ease all our anxiety a tiny bit-Match Statistics - 2020 - Phase II
What about if an applicant waited until the following year?

Members don't see this ad.

I also know a trainee that this happened to and they got into their top program the next year (after having improved their application via research, more clinical hours, dissertation progress, etc.)

Reactions: 2 users
Do you know people who have not matched and applied to the sites that rejected previously rejected them during the next application cycle?
I have recollection of meeting someone at the site I matched with during internship interviews and then seeing that same person the following year as an applicant during our interviews. So it happens, but I can't say how often.

Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: Alexian Brothers Behavioral Health Hospital
Date Invitation Received: 12/2/2020
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Pediatric Health Psychology
Interview Dates Offered: 1/14/2021
If & How you're staying sane: Netflix

Reactions: 8 users
Official Site Name: Detroit VA
Date Invitation Received: 12/2/20
Method of Invitation: Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Health
Interview Dates Offered: 12/16, 1/11, 1/19

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Official Site Name: Detroit VA (John D dingell VA)
Date Invitation Received: 12/2/2020, 5:11pm
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): neuropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: 1/11 and 1/19
If & How you're staying sane: trying to distract myself with anything i can, work, exercise, etc.

Finally starting to feel hopeful again!

Reactions: 8 users
Official Site Name: University of Kentucky
Date Invitation Received: 12/2, 4:01pm eastern
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email, I think.
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): general
Interview Dates Offered: 12/8, 12/9, 12/11 1/5 - 1/8 & 1/11 - 1/15 for interview & then later dates for an open house type meeting

Reactions: 7 users
Official Site Name: Ann & Robert Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago
Date Invitation Received: 12/2 (1:39 PM EST)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): No tracks
Interview Dates Offered: 12/14
Congrats! I am so jealous! This was my top site, but have not heard anything. Not lookin good... :(

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard from LIJ medical center neuropsych track? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
So far, I have only rejections from sites I really thought I had a chance at. I have 7 sites left to hear from and not feeling hopeful at all. I’m curious how other people are doing, especially those who applied to neuropsych?

Not great, so far one interview, a few rejections and silence from the rest. Not feeling to hopeful either 😞

Not so great I have gotten 14 rejections and 1 interview that was one of my "safe sites".

3 rejections and 1 interview... not very hopeful.

I have about 6 sites left, with only 1 interview so far. I’m not feeling very hopeful, but I also feel like it’s too soon to start prepping for second round.
I'm with you all (6 rejections and 1 interview). Hopefully things turn around for us over the next couple weeks!! :cat:

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: Jewish Child and Family Services Chicago
Date Invitation Received: 12/2
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Interview Dates Offered: 1/8, 1/11, 1/12, 1/22

Official Site Name: National Psychology Training Consortium- Great Lakes Region
Date Invitation Received: 12/1
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): LittleStar ABA Therapy
Interview Dates Offered: TBD after Training Director reaches out

Reactions: 5 users
Rejection from the Truman VA Neuropsych track (part of the Missouri Health Sciences Psychology Consortium). They said that notifications for the University of Missouri Department of Health Psychology tracks will be coming separately.

From a friend
Official Site Name: AMITA Health Alexian Brothers Behavioral Health
Hospital
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Generic email with a personalized PDF attached
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Peds Health
Interview Dates Offered: 1/7

Last edited:
Official Site Name: Hines VA
Date Invitation Received: 12/2, 2:20PM
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General
Interview Dates Offered: January: 5, 8, 12, 15, 19, 20, 21, 22, and 25

Reactions: 6 users
Official Site Name: Tennessee Internship Consortium in Psychology (TIC)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Hybrid and School
Interview Dates Offered: January: 7, 8, 11

I also got placed on the waitlist for National Internship Consortium - Cascades Region on 12/1! They said they would notify by January 1 of any openings for an interview.

Reactions: 3 users
Official Site Name: Colorado Mental Health Institute at Fort Logan (University of Denver GSPP Internship Consortium)
Interview Dates Offered: January 7, 8, 12, and 13th

Official Site Name: DSH - Atascadero State Hospital
Interview Dates Offered: Invitation to complete online interview question; vignette style

Official Site Name: Catholic University of America Counseling Center
Date Invitation Received: 12/2/2020
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Interview Dates Offered: 1/11/2021-1/14/2021
If & How you're staying sane: Plants

Does anyone have insight on whether or not it makes sense to reply to a mass email interview invite? Email from training director, letting me know dates and times of interviews, says that I am allowed to call starting this Friday to set up an interview time. Started with "Dear Applicant.." so I'm not sure if it is odd or unnecessary to respond.

Does anyone happen to have a screenshot/list of the positions that were available in phase II last year? I can’t seem to track it down on the interwebs

Does anyone happen to have a screenshot/list of the positions that were available in phase II last year? I can’t seem to track it down on the interwebs

Honestly, I wouldn't put much, if any stock, in previous lists of Phase II sites. It varies pretty wildly year by year.

Have any internship sites reached out to you asking for an APPIC match number? My DCT stated that we did not need to apply for the match until at least December 1st.
I was asked to provide it yesterday when signing up for an interview date for one of my sites. I had not applied for the match at the time, so I bit the bullet and did it

Does anyone have insight on whether or not it makes sense to reply to a mass email interview invite? Email from training director, letting me know dates and times of interviews, says that I am allowed to call starting this Friday to set up an interview time. Started with "Dear Applicant.." so I'm not sure if it is odd or unnecessary to respond.
I would reply and say that I am looking forward to confirming a date and time on Friday and thanking them for the opportunity.

Rejection from Tuttleman Counseling Services (Temple University) 12/2 at 4:52pm PST via mass email

Official Site Name: UAlbany CAPS
Date Invitation Received: 12/2, 6pm
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal call and email
Interview Dates Offered: 12/7, 12/8, 12/9, 12/10, 12/14, 12/15, 12/16, 12/17

I would like to reach out for my own sanity. Just wondering how to do so without sounding desperate!
Haha! I did reach out to one site that rejected me because it was one of my top choices and made practically zero effort not to sound desperate. Basically just said I was looking to grow so the feedback would be appreciated.

Is anyone else kind of thrilled that interviews are virtual this year?? I can't imagine having to pack a suitcase, buy and coordinate airline tickets, book cars and hotels, etc. over the next couple months. Being at a steady home base sounds so ideal! Though this pandemic is obviously horrible for a multitude of reasons, I feel like this lockdown comes at the best time for intern applicants. Of course, the downside is not SEEING or FEELING out the internship sites, but I'll take that downside any day for the rest of the money/time/energy saving.

Yes! There are definitely pros to the virtual format, as unfortunate that the state of the world is. We will likely be more rested, have access to notes during interviews if we need, and of course saving money on traveling! Hopefully we can offset the fact that we cannot see/feel the site in person with some really good discussions/questions with current interns.

Haha! I did reach out to one site that rejected me because it was one of my top choices and made practically zero effort not to sound desperate. Basically just said I was looking to grow so the feedback would be appreciated.
Curious if you got a response from the site on this? I am curious too but don't want to bother them haha

Curious if you got a response from the site on this? I am curious too but don't want to bother them haha
I asked a site and I received a really nice response. Some sites really do encourage that you reach out. I looked at the last year’s thread for advice on how to approach it.

I would just wait to call on Friday. I imagine TDs are getting a million emails right now and stressed with scheduling-- I wouldn't want to add an unneeded email to their inbox. But that's just my 2 cents!

I've run into a scheduling conflict and need some advice from the group - it looks like my email address was picked up by the VA spam filter and so none of my emails are going through to VA training sites that offered me an interview (I found out because my VA interviews TDs sent me a "we haven't heard from you yet" email). Because of this, my interview dates are all booked up now. I have one site that I would like to interview with, but their only day left conflicts with another site that I have not heard from yet (their mass invites went out last week so I am not sure if I am second tier or rejection yet). Is it appropriate for me to reach out to that site to ask if I am still under consideration so that I can have a better idea of my schedule? Has anyone else had this issue and/or know anyone who has in the past?

TD here. Scheduling conflicts are not uncommon (yikes about your spam situation! I’m sorry that happened). Go ahead and reach out to the TD and explain you are in a tight spot with scheduling and wanted to know more about the options. As long as you phrase it courteously, it will be fine. We get emails like this frequently. Good luck to you!

Does anybody know if I can apply to externship and internship simultaneously (not at the same sites though)?

Official site name: John D. Dingell VA Medical Center
Date invitation received: Dec 2
Method of invitation (phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email
Specialty track or site (e.g., for consortiums): general track
Interview dates offered: 12/16, 2/11, 2/19
(In honor of years past) If & how you’re staying sane:
My masochistic self got a puppy. She will be both my stress relief and my ultimate undoing (SO much pee...)

Reactions: 7 users
Official Site Name: Colorado Mental Health Institute at Fort Logan (University of Denver GSPP Internship Consortium)
Date Invitation Received: December 2, 2020
Interview Dates Offered: January 7, 8, 12, and 13th

Just got the email at 4:30 pm EST!

Great site and great people! Lots of changes since I was there over 10 years ago. Good luck to you!

• Care
All these posts have been helpful despite how discouraged I've been feeling. I've gotten 3 rejections so far, no invites, and at least 5 places I've seen mentioned on here where people have gotten invites but it's been radio silent on my end. One rejection didn't make much sense to me - they told me how impressive my application was and how it fit with the position yet rejected me.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 11 users
Yes, one thought I had is since interviews are virtual perhaps applicants have applied to a greater amount of programs than in previous years (due to not having to travel). I wonder if this has increased the sheer number of applications for programs to sort through.

I also strongly suspect this is possible, but still hope that virtual interviews remain a permanent new normal. The insane travel and cost burden was absurd with zero guarantees. Now if virtual interviews do remain a thing I hope APPIC mandates a cap on how many sites applicants can apply to like the system literally won't allow you to choose more than 15. Seriously 15 is enough, I don't care what the circumstances.

In addition to the suggestions offered by other insightful contributors in this thread, I also wonder if the Argosy closure is related. I know that several Argosy students were very close to completion and internship application prior to the sudden shut-down of the program. Several hundred students were delayed by one year, which may have resulted in a slightly lower applicant pool for the 2019-2020 internship class, and a slightly higher pool for the 2020-2021 class. However, I imagine these changes are largely due to effects of COVID-19 impacting traveling/interviewing. Application rates to graduate programs (at least in Clinical Psychology) have increased as well - up to 40-60% higher than in previous years.

It would not surprise me in the least if this batch of students who seriously got screwed finally gathered what they needed to be able to apply to internship and then sent out a crapload of applications, like 25+, with the hopes of matching anywhere and getting their degree before its threatened again. I think there has been so much focus on their student debt burden no one was looking at what internship and licensing might be like for them. Now we may be seeing it and some of us may end up unintended collateral damage.

I will admit that for some time waiting until the following year has been my preferred contingency plan over Phase II or Post Match. The latter two are still contingency plans and it is way too early for me to have to go the contingency route, but I do know that I am not willing to go just anywhere. I had that openness for programs and the misery that ensued has been more than anyone should ever have to endure. The following year option does have to be done strategically otherwise it won't help. With that option dissertation should be close to or totally done and perhaps another publication. If hours weren't the concern the first time around then it might make more sense to diversify the type of hours rather than just accrue more for the sake of more.

ABAA266A-F76F-4454-8930-32B99E822597.gif

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 21 users
I also strongly suspect this is possible, but still hope that virtual interviews remain a permanent new normal. The insane travel and cost burden was absurd with zero guarantees. Now if virtual interviews do remain a thing I hope APPIC mandates a cap on how many sites applicants can apply to like the system literally won't allow you to choose more than 15. Seriously 15 is enough, I don't care what the circumstances.

It would not surprise me in the least if this batch of students who seriously got screwed finally gathered what they needed to be able to apply to internship and then sent out a crapload of applications, like 25+, with the hopes of matching anywhere and getting their degree before its threatened again. I think there has been so much focus on their student debt burden no one was looking at what internship and licensing might be like for them. Now we may be seeing it and some of us may end up unintended collateral damage.

I will admit that for some time waiting until the following year has been my preferred contingency plan over Phase II or Post Match. The latter two are still contingency plans and it is way too early for me to have to go the contingency route, but I do know that I am not willing to go just anywhere. I had that openness for programs and the misery that ensued has been more than anyone should ever have to endure. The following year option does have to be done strategically otherwise it won't help. With that option dissertation should be close to or totally done and perhaps another publication. If hours weren't the concern the first time around then it might make more sense to diversify the type of hours rather than just accrue more for the sake of more.
I second you. I’d better apply for an externship rather than go to Schitt’$ Creek.

Great site and great people! Lots of changes since I was there over 10 years ago. Good luck to you!
Thank you! I am very excited for this opportunity and very glad to hear it’s a great site with great people!

I second you. I’d better apply for an externship rather than go to Schitt’$ Creek.

By externship do you mean a practicum that is done during your program, like while you also take classes? Or is it something different?

Official Site Name: Detroit VA (John Dingell VA)
Date Invitation Received: December 2, 2020
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Neuropsychology
Interview Dates Offered: January 11 & 19 (morning and afternoon slots)