APPIC Interview Invitation Thread (2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejection - University of Mississippi Medical Center
Me too. Hoping for better news from other sites soon!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejection from UC Davis CAARE Center- very cold email.

• Care
  • Hmm
Reactions: 8 users
Same here

I interviewed with them last year and found them to be extremely cold and a bit confrontational interpersonally! I've chatted with other interns that interviewed there as well that felt the same way. Maybe a blessing for y'all!

• Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Official Site Name: Ann & Robert Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago
Date Invitation Received: 12/2 (1:39 PM EST)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): No tracks
Interview Dates Offered: 12/14
Congratulations that's a great site

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So far, I have only rejections from sites I really thought I had a chance at. I have 7 sites left to hear from and not feeling hopeful at all. I’m curious how other people are doing, especially those who applied to neuropsych?

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
So far, I have only rejections from sites I really thought I had a chance at. I have 7 sites left to hear from and not feeling hopeful at all. I’m curious how other people are doing, especially those who applied to neuropsych?
Not great, so far one interview, a few rejections and silence from the rest. Not feeling to hopeful either 😞

• Care
  • Wow
Not so great I have gotten 14 rejections and 1 interview that was one of my "safe sites".

• Care
  • Wow
I know people have heard from Geisinger Adult, Child, and Neuro for interviews but has anyone had any rejections yet from them or more interview offers specifically for the adult and/or children tracks just wondering if I should start to mentally prepare for that rejection.

Reactions: 1 user
3 rejections and 1 interview... not very hopeful.

• Care
I have about 6 sites left, with only 1 interview so far. I’m not feeling very hopeful, but I also feel like it’s too soon to start prepping for second round.

• Care
Anyone else in a weird limbo stage where you have seen a site and track send out both rejections and invites and you're MIA?

• Wow
Reactions: 14 users
Official Site Name: Yale University School of Medicine/Psychology Section, Department of Psychiatry
Date Invitation Received: 12/02 (10:45 AM central)
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Phone call
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Young Adult Track
Interview Dates Offered: 01/08, 01/11

• Okay...
I'm actually in the same boat. 6 rejections and a "you can still rank us but we're not interviewing you." A friend in my cohort also got 5 or 6 rejections before getting back to back interview offers yesterday. I've been feeling pretty hopeless, but that's making me feel a bit more hopeful. It seems like sites are getting SO many more applications this year. I would imagine the match rate is going to be much lower than in previous years more of us will end up in Phase II. I'm trying to remain hopeful that 1) there's still time to get offers! and 2) even if I don't match in Phase I, matching in Phase II is still matching! Fingers crossed for both of us.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 13 users
I'm actually in the same boat. 6 rejections and a "you can still rank us but we're not interviewing you." A friend in my cohort also got 5 or 6 rejections before getting back to back interview offers yesterday. I've been feeling pretty hopeless, but that's making me feel a bit more hopeful. It seems like sites are getting SO many more applications this year. I would imagine the match rate is going to be much lower than in previous years more of us will end up in Phase II. I'm trying to remain hopeful that 1) there's still time to get offers! and 2) even if I don't match in Phase I, matching in Phase II is still matching! Fingers crossed for both of us.

I can definitely relate to feeling pretty dejected, although I didn't apply to neuro sites/tracks. I am hoping that good news and interview offers are on their way to your email inbox in the near future!

I've read a couple people on here talk about the possibility that sites may be receiving more applications this year and that the match rate may be lower than previous years as a result. I'm curious if people know or have thoughts on why this might be the case. I know we're in the middle of a pandemic, but how does virtual interviews change things? What am I missing??

I can definitely relate to feeling pretty dejected, although I didn't apply to neuro sites/tracks. I am hoping that good news and interview offers are on their way to your email inbox in the near future!

I've read a couple people on here talk about the possibility that sites may be receiving more applications this year and that the match rate may be lower than previous years as a result. I'm curious if people know or have thoughts on why this might be the case. I know we're in the middle of a pandemic, but how does virtual interviews change things? What am I missing??

My sense is that it may be more feasible financially for people this year, given the cost of travel during interviews. It may also be due to loosening of hours requirements? Just my $0.02!

Reactions: 5 users

Yes, one thought I had is since interviews are virtual perhaps applicants have applied to a greater amount of programs than in previous years (due to not having to travel). I wonder if this has increased the sheer number of applications for programs to sort through.

I think - ability to apply across the country without having to travel, and applying to a lot more tracks because you don't have to spend money to go to interviews (both saving money, and then reallocating that toward more app fees). That's my main theory!

Reactions: 2 users

I think a huge part of why there are more applicants this year is because of Covid. Most of the sites have very low assessment and therapy requirements which allowed more people to apply and on top of that, because places are doing virtual interviews, more people have the ability to attend more interviews at a lower cost.

Reactions: 2 users
I think a huge part of why there are more applicants this year is because of Covid. Most of the sites have very low assessment and therapy requirements which allowed more people to apply and on top of that, because places are doing virtual interviews, more people have the ability to attend more interviews at a lower cost.
I have also heard that many sites closed their internship this year and there are more applicants this year than last year, which contributes to the imbalance. I bet people who planned on applying to certain sites that closed due to COVID last minute applied elsewhere, making available sites more competitive.

• Hmm
  • Sad

I'd say the same as others and... there may also be some former Argosy students who are back on track now and applying this year when they would have applied in previous years had they not gotten completely screwed over by Argosy. I know a few people in that situation

• Hmm
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users

In addition to the suggestions offered by other insightful contributors in this thread, I also wonder if the Argosy closure is related. I know that several Argosy students were very close to completion and internship application prior to the sudden shut-down of the program. Several hundred students were delayed by one year, which may have resulted in a slightly lower applicant pool for the 2019-2020 internship class, and a slightly higher pool for the 2020-2021 class. However, I imagine these changes are largely due to effects of COVID-19 impacting traveling/interviewing. Application rates to graduate programs (at least in Clinical Psychology) have increased as well - up to 40-60% higher than in previous years.

Official Site Name: Tulane University School of Medicine
Date Invitation Received: 12/2, 2:35pm
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult (Forensic)
Interview Dates Offered: 12/18, 1/8, 1/15, 1/22, 1/29

Also got a mass email rejection from UC Davis CAARE Center (Juvenile Justice Track) at 1:56pm

Do you know people who have not matched and applied to the sites that rejected previously rejected them during the next application cycle?

Do you know people who have not matched and applied to the sites that rejected previously rejected them during the next application cycle?
I know at least 3 trainees from the past 2-3 years who have not matched in Phase I and reapplied in Phase II to programs that had initially rejected them in Phase I and matched there (coincidentally their top sites that they wanted all along!). It is definitely a different Phase II than it was even 5 years ago

• Wow
I'd say the same as others and... there may also be some former Argosy students who are back on track now and applying this year when they would have applied in previous years had they not gotten completely screwed over by Argosy. I know a few people in that situation
I'm going to have to look this up, I haven't heard about this!

In addition to the suggestions offered by other insightful contributors in this thread, I also wonder if the Argosy closure is related. I know that several Argosy students were very close to completion and internship application prior to the sudden shut-down of the program. Several hundred students were delayed by one year, which may have resulted in a slightly lower applicant pool for the 2019-2020 internship class, and a slightly higher pool for the 2020-2021 class. However, I imagine these changes are largely due to effects of COVID-19 impacting traveling/interviewing. Application rates to graduate programs (at least in Clinical Psychology) have increased as well - up to 40-60% higher than in previous years.
omg! I hadn't heard of this before. damn, I can't even imagine. that's awful that that happened to them. and makes things a bit trickier for us. :unsure:

Reactions: 1 users
Official Site Name: Colorado Mental Health Institute at Fort Logan (University of Denver GSPP Internship Consortium)
Date Invitation Received: December 2, 2020
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Interview Dates Offered: January 7, 8, 12, and 13th

Just got the email at 4:30 pm EST!

• Care
Official Site Name: Atascadero State Hospital
Date Invitation Received: 12/2
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Interview Dates Offered: Invitation to complete writing assignment.
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Submitting a manuscript revision, still writing reports, and listening to a new podcast!

Reactions: 6 users
I know at least 3 trainees from the past 2-3 years who have not matched in Phase I and reapplied in Phase II to programs that had initially rejected them in Phase I and matched there (coincidentally their top sites that they wanted all along!). It is definitely a different Phase II than it was even 5 years ago
Yeah as much as it would suck to have to do Phase II match, I have similarly heard of many good outcomes from Phase II match, in my program at least- here's some info from last year to help ease all our anxiety a tiny bit-Match Statistics - 2020 - Phase II

• Care