APPIC Interview Invitation Thread (2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Official Site Name: Coatesville VAMC
Date Invitation Received: 12/3/20
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General Track
Interview dates offered: 12/16, 1/7, 1/12, 1/20

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
I made a document where I broke questions out into categories because anxiety :p It includes questions from my TD, VA materials I found online, T2T Blog, questions reported on here, and Dr. Chen's Grad Corner Blog. Here ya go! Feel free to share.
Very kind of you to share! Thank you!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I made a document where I broke questions out into categories because anxiety :p It includes questions from my TD, VA materials I found online, T2T Blog, questions reported on here, and Dr. Chen's Grad Corner Blog. Here ya go! Feel free to share.
Thank you so much for this!

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Wow thank you SO much for sharing!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Hello - I am sitting twiddling my thumbs waiting for responses from all but three of my sites. Anyone else in this situation? I've gotten two rejections and one invitation...but haven't heard back from any other sites!
Same here. 3 (basically 4) rejections and only 1 interview invite :/

• Care
LIJ adult neuropsych- mass email 12/3
NYU/Rusk- Adult- personal email 12/3

Those who heard from Rusk (child track) what time did you get the email?

Official Site Name: Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, School of Medicine
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult Track
Interview dates offered: 12/21, 1/6, 1/11

Reactions: 5 users
It seems like only one person posted about Bellevue/NYU child track, which offered only one interview date - 12/9... which makes me hopeful that it's a rolling interview offer system. I wonder if anyone else received interview offers or rejection yet? #amitoonaivetobehopeful

Members don't see this ad :)
Official Site Name: Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, School of Medicine
Date Invitation Received: December 3, 2020, 8:40am Central
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Adult Track
Interview Dates Offered: 12/21, 01/06, 01/11

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks for responding! Was it addressed to you by name or did it say something generic like “dear applicant”? Thanks again! And congrats on the invite!
Something I’ve noticed is that a lot of mass emails have our names substituted in. That alone doesn’t make it a personal email, because there are programs you can use that will substitute in names for you (for example, researchers can import email addresses in a survey service like Qualtrics and code it to make the email look individualized). Personal emails from sites tend to contain more specific information beyond just your name and interview date (if one was chosen for you). I, too, was curious about what a personal email might look like and noticed the difference ones my offers started coming in + seeing what others on this thread described.

It seems like only one person posted about Bellevue/NYU child track, which offered only one interview date - 12/9... which makes me hopeful that it's a rolling interview offer system. I wonder if anyone else received interview offers or rejection yet? #amitoonaivetobehopeful
I am also waiting to hear from them and am trying to be hopeful!!! 🤞🏼😊

Reactions: 2 users
Hello - I am sitting twiddling my thumbs waiting for responses from all but three of my sites. Anyone else in this situation? I've gotten two rejections and one invitation...but haven't heard back from any other sites!
Same expect 3 rejections and no invites

Reactions: 1 user
Any updates from Boston Children's, Children's National, and North Carolina SOM (child track)?

Official Site Name: Coatesville VAMC
Interview dates offered: 12/16, 1/7, 1/12, 1/20
Congrats! Has anyone heard back from Coatesville VA re: neuropsychology track?

Do you know if the DC email was a personal or mass email? Waiting to hear from them 🤞🏼
I received an invite from them that was definitely a personal email -- had my name on it. Was quite warm and thoughtful, in fact. I hope you get one too!

Any updates from Boston Children's, Children's National, and North Carolina SOM (child track)?
Someone in my cohort got an invite last week to Children's National.

Something I’ve noticed is that a lot of mass emails have our names substituted in. That alone doesn’t make it a personal email, because there are programs you can use that will substitute in names for you (for example, researchers can import email addresses in a survey service like Qualtrics and code it to make the email look individualized). Personal emails from sites tend to contain more specific information beyond just your name and interview date (if one was chosen for you). I, too, was curious about what a personal email might look like and noticed the difference ones my offers started coming in + seeing what others on this thread described.
Ooooo interesting point! OK my "personal" emails might not be...

Has anyone heard from Neuropsych track at Houston VA (MEDVAMC)? Or for Geropsych track at VA West Los Angeles?

Official Site Name: Bronx VA
Interview dates offered: 12/17, 1/5, 1/11, 1/20

Reactions: 10 users
I appreciate your response but I am confused now. Are you saying that the student doesn’t have a right to withdraw from the internship application process if, let’s say, it doesn’t go the way the student predicted? What is considered a “good reason” and why does the student need a permission to go a different direction (i.e., enhance/add skills and prepare better for the next year)?

I'm not saying that students don't have the right to withdraw from the match, I'm saying that per the guidelines for my region at least, any student that wants to apply for internship and externship at the same time needs to get approval from the DCT. I don't make the rules, so I don't know exactly why students need permission from the DCT, but it's a requirement

From the NYNJADOT guidelines (https://nynjadot.apa.org/resources/pdf/NYNJADOT-PSYDNYS_GUIDELINES_2021-22_MATCH.pdf)
Students: Students applying for PRE-DOCTORAL INTERNSHIP (through the APPIC Match or otherwise) MUST ATTEST, on their externship application, that they are applying for internship concurrent with the application for externship. These students must receive their DCT’s approval to apply for externship concurrent with internship. Externship sites should state their position about such applications on their website and the portal site.
DCTs: Eligibility letters should state if the student is applying for both externship and internship during the current cycle

I view externship as an opportunity to spend an additional year in a “practicum” outside of my program and a way to gain additional skills to be a more competitive trainee for the internship. Not getting interviews may be a sign that there are some gaps that need to be filled with additional skills. This is how I am explaining myself why I have only rejections and 0 invitations. But maybe I am wrong 🤔
Thank you. That makes more sense if you are trying to get ahead of the game in the case you do not get an interview. I am sorry are in this position. Please do not count out Phase II. This process truly is about a good match. Every year there are great programs and GREAT applicants who do not Match in Phase I, for whatever reason. And, if you do need to wait another year, I think you are wise to consider the gaps in your training and work on those. I wish you the best of luck as you figure this out for yourself.

Last edited:
  • Care
Rejection from Dayton VA. Bummer, but onward and upward! Or something like that. Trying to keep my chin up.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 13 users
Any news from Richard L. Roudebush VAMC?
Nope, still waiting on this (take that with a grain of salt :p)! I spoke with someone that's a prac student there and they said that they're a lil behind normal because of COVID, but thankfully their notification date is 12/15 so I haven't lost hope yet. Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed for the forensic track yesterday, and there were applicants for the child track present as well. As far as I could tell, based on their invites/scheduling and my discussions with others in my cohort who have forensic track interviews upcoming, they have many dates scheduled for interviews over the next three-ish weeks for all tracks. (Not that I have any idea what this means about your situation!!)

Ooooo interesting point! OK my "personal" emails might not be...
To be honest, I’m not too upset about it either way! At this point, it’s more important that we got the invite :) They have a lot on their plates getting ready for us. I’d rather have them focused on planning interview day!

Someone mentioned a while back that programs often have staff meetings on Thursdays, so Fridays are common days for invites/rejections. Is this generally true/common in others' experiences? Is it specific to certain types of sites?

(I am waiting on two sites with deadlines tomorrow - just trying to calm my anxiety with information, even though I know anything can happen anytime!)

Reached out to Mailman— they have sent out the invites and will be sending rejection/waitlist emails next week.

(another rejection)

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Someone mentioned a while back that programs often have staff meetings on Thursdays, so Fridays are common days for invites/rejections. Is this generally true/common in others' experiences? Is it specific to certain types of sites?

(I am waiting on two sites with deadlines tomorrow - just trying to calm my anxiety with information, even though I know anything can happen anytime!)

I've had staff meetings every day of the week at different jobs, I don't believe there is much in terms of a convention here. At the current job we meet on Tuesdays.

Official Site Name: VA Eastern Colorado Psychology Internship
Date Invitation Received: 12/3/20 1pm central
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General and PCMHI
Interview dates offered:Jan 4th, Jan 11th, and Jan 25th

Reached out to Mailman— they have sent out the invites and will be sending rejection/waitlist emails next week.

(another rejection)
Another rejection on the way for me too :( I wish they would just do it all at once. I HATE this process.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 10 users
Anyone else still waiting on any notification from the Philly VA? I sent them an email yesterday but I haven't heard anything yet.

Last edited:
Official Site Name: UCLA CAPS
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): N/A
Interview Dates Offered: 1/4-1/8
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: Wine

Reactions: 8 users