APPIC Interview Invitation Thread (2021)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A couple of days ago someone posted about receiving a phone call from Northwestern Feinberg. I figure phone calls take longer than a mass email (duh) so it might take a couple of days to do them all, but now it's been a couple of days. Wondering if many other people have received invites from this site (and when)? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
A couple of days ago someone posted about receiving a phone call from Northwestern Feinberg. I figure phone calls take longer than a mass email (duh) so it might take a couple of days to do them all, but now it's been a couple of days. Wondering if many other people have received invites from this site (and when)? Thanks!
I also received an invitation from them on Tuesday (phone call). They scheduled interview dates with me over the phone at time of call.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who applied to UC Davis CAARE Center also not heard back yet either way?

Official Site Name: University of Memphis Student Health and Counseling Services
Date Invitation Received: 12/3/20 1pm CST
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Personal email
Interview dates offered: December & January

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Official Site Name: University of Memphis Student Health and Counseling Center
Date Invitation Received: 12/3
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Interview Dates Offered: 12/18-1/10
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane: binge watching TV with my cats while drinking wine

• Love
Any updates from Boston Children's, Children's National, and North Carolina SOM (child track)?
Boston's notification date is 12/7 according to APPIC directory. Hopefully will hear something soon! I'm waiting on that one, too.

Reactions: 1 user
It seems like only one person posted about Bellevue/NYU child track, which offered only one interview date - 12/9... which makes me hopeful that it's a rolling interview offer system. I wonder if anyone else received interview offers or rejection yet? #amitoonaivetobehopeful
To echo what the other responder said...I'm pretty sure that Bellevue is one of the sites that sends out all the invites at once and then sends all the rejections later. Just basing this off of friends who applied there in past years. I also haven't heard and am assuming rejection!

Reactions: 3 users
I made a document where I broke questions out into categories because anxiety :p It includes questions from my TD, VA materials I found online, T2T Blog, questions reported on here, and Dr. Chen's Grad Corner Blog. Here ya go! Feel free to share.
You are a gem. <3

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
I'm also waiting to hear from them! Also hoping that calls take longer and that this does not mean I'm waiting on a rejection lol

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Rejection from James H. Quillen VAMC.
I’m sorry about your rejection. Do you mind telling me how it arrived? I’ve been waiting to hear from them assuming it will be a rejection bc they sent out interview invites so long ago but I haven’t received anything today. Ugh.

Has anyone who applied to UC Davis CAARE Center also not heard back yet either way?
I haven't and I applied to the juvenile justice track but I imagine they may be rolling out invites/rejections on different days per track.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to share some encouragement for those of us who are in the "no interviews" camp (4 rejections so far), especially for those who applied to a lot of UCC's. They typically send invites out fairly late in the season anyway, and they're experiencing a lot more craziness than usual thanks to the pandemic. I would imagine the same is true for many other sites as far as the pandemic craziness goes. I've definitely been catching myself catastrophizing, too, but we still have plenty of time! Hang in there!

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 19 users
Happy interview season fam! Sending everyone positive energy.

Anyone hear from Friends Hospital in Philly? They have yesterday listed as their notification date but since they extended their deadline I assume they’ll take a bit longer. Wanted to see if anyone has info. Thanks in advance!

I’m sorry about your rejection. Do you mind telling me how it arrived? I’ve been waiting to hear from them assuming it will be a rejection bc they sent out interview invites so long ago but I haven’t received anything today. Ugh.
They sent a personalized email with the decision attached. I think they were sending out invites about a month ago. Thus, it wasn't a complete surprise.

They sent a personalized email with the decision attached. I think they were sending out invites about a month ago. Thus, it wasn't a complete surprise.
Thank you for letting me know. That's a bummer. I'm sure mine is on its way if they were personalized.

• Care
The rejections have been quite hard but there is one issue that I suspect has adversely impacted my internship prospects.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Official Site Name: VA Eastern Colorado Psychology Internship
Date Invitation Received: 12/3/20 1pm central
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General and PCMHI
Interview dates offered:Jan 4th, Jan 11th, and Jan 25th
I have a friend waiting on this one - if you feel comfortable answering, was it a personal or mass email?

I haven’t heard anything from them. Expecting a rejection email on 12/15.
I sure do wish sites would send out reactions at the same time as invites.

Reactions: 4 users
I interviewed for the forensic track yesterday, and there were applicants for the child track present as well. As far as I could tell, based on their invites/scheduling and my discussions with others in my cohort who have forensic track interviews upcoming, they have many dates scheduled for interviews over the next three-ish weeks for all tracks. (Not that I have any idea what this means about your situation!!)
Thank you for responding and sharing what you noticed/ heard at the interview. It actually helps to know that I am basically rejected at this point for not having an interview offer. Upsetting for sure, but I'd rather be upset than being hopeful and get even more disappointed later. Congratulations for being done with your interview, and wish you luck with match !!

• Care
Official Site Name: Tewksbury Hospital
Date Invitation Received: 12/03
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): Mass email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Health (Dept. Public Health [DPH]), though email did not specify
Interview Dates Offered: Three separate components (dates?) TBD in January

I have a friend waiting on this one - if you feel comfortable answering, was it a personal or mass email?
I am not the original poster but I also received an invite to Eastern Colorado VA (general track), about an hour and a half after the original poster posted. The email had my name, so it seems personalized and like they are going out individually.

The rejections have been quite hard but there is one issue that I suspect has adversely impacted my internship prospects.
Sorry to hear that. I have not received any invites and I don’t even know why

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Rejection: Crescenz VAMC Psychology Internship Program (Neuro track) in Philadelphia received today; mass email

• Care
Official Site Name: UC Davis JJFP!!
Date Invitation Received: 12/3/20
Method of Invitation: Email
Specialty Track: JJFP Track

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 14 users
Official Site Name: UC Davis
Date Invitation Received: 12/03 @ 4:53pm cst
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Juvenile Justice & Forensic Psychology
Interview Dates Offered: 1/19, 1/20

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
Official Site Name: Illinois School Psychology Internship Consortium (ISPIC)
Date Invitation Received: 12/3/20
Method of Invitation: Personal Email
Specialty Track: LADSE, Maine-Frost, ISU Pediatric Track
Interview Dates: TBD

Date Invitation Received: 12/03 @ 3pm PST
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): personal email
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): TAMI
Interview Dates Offered: 1/21, 1/22

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Official Site Name: Los Angeles County Internship In Corrections/Los Angeles County Department of Health Services
Date Invitation Received: 12/03 @ 3pm PST
Method of Invitation (Phone call, personal/mass email, Snapchat): mass email
Interview Dates Offered: Weeks of 1/6 and 1/11

Official Site Name: Illinois School Psychology Internship Consortium
Date Invitation Received: 12/03
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): NSSED, ISU PSC, LCSSU, Evergreen/VASE
Interview Dates Offered: specific sites will reach out to set up

Happy interview season fam! Sending everyone positive energy.

Anyone hear from Friends Hospital in Philly? They have yesterday listed as their notification date but since they extended their deadline I assume they’ll take a bit longer. Wanted to see if anyone has info. Thanks in advance!
I’m waiting on them as well.

I mean there were some volunteer ones you could do like 1 day/week on top of other things, but it's pretty typical in university-based clinical PhD programs for students to do paid practica (20 hours/week, stipend not amazing but something). I'm faculty now and our students don't work for free :).
Similar to what others have said, the majority of our practica at my university-based clinical PhD program are unpaid. There are a couple of paid ones, but they are rare. Our funding comes from being a teaching assistant, teaching fellow/instructor of record (after Master's), or research assistant if your advisor has grants.

Date Invitation Received: 12/03/20
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): Juvenile Justice & Forensic Psychology
Interview Dates Offered: 1/19, 1/20

• Love
Rejection from Rush at 4:29 pm MST. The email was really nice, but the rejection still hurts as it was one of my top choices. Good luck to those who got interviews!

• Care
  • Sad
Similar to what others have said, the majority of our practica at my university-based clinical PhD program are unpaid. There are a couple of paid ones, but they are rare. Our funding comes from being a teaching assistant, teaching fellow/instructor of record (after Master's), or research assistant if your advisor has grants.
Just to be clear- you all mean external practica, right? Like when you get hours at a hospital off campus or whatever and (usually) are supervised by a psychologist there? Students in my program and in the one I'm faculty in work in our training clinic for free under faculty supervision, but in sometimes 2nd year, definitely 3rd year + their funding usually comes from the contracts the program has with external agencies unless they want to teach a class or are on a faculty grant. Nobody has to teach or TA AND do 20 hours/week of clinical practicum (in addition to the training clinic).

I know a lot of times counseling students don't have funding and certainly PsyDs don't. Maybe with clinical programs that do have funding but not from practica it has to do with the age of the program (more established = more contracts) or something about the local area?

Official Site Name: VA Sierra Nevada Health Care System
Date Invitation Received: 12/03/20
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): General
Interview Dates Offered: 1/6, 1/13

Reactions: 9 users
Just to be clear- you all mean external practica, right? Like when you get hours at a hospital off campus or whatever and (usually) are supervised by a psychologist there? Students in my program and in the one I'm faculty in work in our training clinic for free under faculty supervision, but in sometimes 2nd year, definitely 3rd year + their funding usually comes from the contracts the program has with external agencies unless they want to teach a class or are on a faculty grant. Nobody has to teach or TA AND do 20 hours/week of clinical practicum (in addition to the training clinic).

I know a lot of times counseling students don't have funding and certainly PsyDs don't. Maybe with clinical programs that do have funding but not from practica it has to do with the age of the program (more established = more contracts) or something about the local area?
For my PhD program in New England- Our typical load in our 4th and 5th years once we are finished with most classes is 15-20 hours of funded positions through TA, IOR, or research assistantship, 16-24 hours a week at an unpaid practicum/externship at a area hospital/clinic, + dissertation and other research activities.

My impression from a conversation with my DCT is that under-resourced areas with few graduate programs (e.g. rural areas) are able to pay practicum student, but in cities where there are several training programs it is less typical to find paid practicum opportunities

Yeah, I did an unpaid 16-hr/week practica at the VA, taught two sections of an undergrad class, took one class, and did research in my lab.

Official Site Name: VA Maryland/ University of Maryland SOM
Date Invitation Received: 11/25/2020
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): SMH track
Interview Dates Offered: 1/7-1/28
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane:

Official Site Name: UC Davis Children's Hospital
Date Invitation Received: 12/03/2020
Specialty Track or Site (e.g., for consortiums): TAMI track
Interview Dates Offered: 1/21-1/22
(In honor of years past) If & How you're staying sane:

• Love

Yep, for me it’s external and internal practica that are unpaid.

Our students are basically guaranteed a teaching position for funding but beyond that you/your faculty advisor has to get a grant and that doesn’t happen super often in my program. My counseling PhD program is even in a rural area where mental health providers are in high need. Our students work at the internal clinic their 2nd year, 3rd and 4th are external. Most semesters, the majority of our students take 3-4 grad classes, work on research, teach 2 undergrad sections of a course, & do an external prac 16-20 hours a week.

It’s super awesome to hear of programs where people are paid on practica!

Last edited:
At my PsyD program, all students are paid for all practica. About $5,500 per practicum (16-20 hrs/week) is normal. $1,500 is the smallest amount we can get (usually unfunded externships), and some sites pay as high as $9,000 for the year (usually forensic sites).
Whoa. I’m clearly in the wrong PsyD program...

• Haha
  • Sad
Rejection from Rush at 4:29 pm MST. The email was really nice, but the rejection still hurts as it was one of my top choices. Good luck to those who got interviews!
Also got my rejection from Rush

• Care
At my PsyD program, all students are paid for all practica. About $5,500 per practicum (16-20 hrs/week) is normal. $1,500 is the smallest amount we can get (usually unfunded externships), and some sites pay as high as $9,000 for the year (usually forensic sites). I thought all doctoral psych students were paid for practicums!
I am glad we are discussing this. In our program, we pay school to get a practicum 🙈

• Wow
  • Haha
The only personal info in the email was my name and tracks I applied to - hope this helps!

I am glad we are discussing this. In our program, we pay school to get a practicum 🙈
Same here - paying nearly 10k a semester and doing 20 hours of unpaid clinical work... plus research milestones required. The perks of an non-funded PhD program I guess.

• Sad
  • Haha